No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: Barbee Hired
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:48:26 PM »
thinking the same thing.  It'll be interesting to see if he brings his staff with him or he cherry picks the best of the best, like Coach Chizik did last year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:56:25 PM »
My 2 cents, don't keep any of Lebo's staff. Bringing the local YMCA coaches is better than what he had.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:59:03 PM »
One thing for certain, is that Coach Barbie (I know it's Barbee, but I will spell it how I damn well please...got that fuckers?!?!) is a bigtime recruiter.  IMO, this is a homerun hire for the BBall program.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 09:05:14 PM »

Coach Tony Barbee

Highlights from the 2008-09 season included the Miners setting school records for points scored, free throws made and free throws attempted. Sophomore guard Julyan Stone also shattered the school standard by dishing out 236 assists.

As expected, Barbee and his staff put together a blockbuster recruiting class in their first season in the Sun City. The Miners signed six high school phenoms, including two players (Culpepper and McCulley) from the Memphis area. UTEP landed five players 6-6 or taller, including some much-needed inside help in 6-11 Britten and 6-10 Portalatin.

A native of Indianapolis, Ind., Barbee has had a long-standing relationship with Memphis head coach John Calipari. He played for "Coach Cal" at Massachusetts, before reuniting with him as an assistant coach at Memphis. Not only is Barbee recognized as an up-and-coming young coach, but he is regarded as one of the nation's premier recruiters as well. He was named the top assistant in Conference USA in Street & Smith's 2005-06 preseason college basketball yearbook. He was also honored by Rivals.com as the no. 3 recruiter in the country while at Memphis. HoopScoop magazine tabbed him as one of the nation's top assistant coaches in 2004.

Memphis produced top-10 recruiting classes in each of Barbee's last six years on staff, including a 2001 group that was rated number one in the country. The 2002 class also would have been top-ranked had it not lost a player to the NBA.

Five players coached by Barbee are currently in the NBA -- Carney, Joey Dorsey (Houston Rockets), Chris Douglas-Roberts (New Jersey Nets), Williams and Marcus Camby (L.A. Clippers).

Besides his on-the-floor duties and coordinating all recruiting activities at Memphis, Barbee supervised all academic activities for the men's basketball program.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:10:02 PM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:14:51 PM »
Barbee said the 7-foot Whiteside reminds him of Marcus Camby. Barbee was a graduate assistant at Massachusetts when Camby was the Associated Press player of the year in 1996.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2010-03-02-1511100798_x.htm

I was wondering if he was an Assistant at UMass back When Marcus Camby was there, this article said he was a GTA.  UMASS was the shit back then, and players like Camby is what I would love to see Auburn go after.  After All Demarcus Cousins of Ky is from Mobile.  There are some great instate players that never stay at home. That is the first place I'd start.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:20:03 PM »
Since Tubby was nothing more than a pipe dream, Barbee's a pretty solid choice.

I would have been happy with him, Tubby, Person, or Mitchell, but considering the latter two don't really have any collegiate coaching experience, I think the right choice was made.

Cliff Dwellers, Lebo's Lunatics...don't tell me we're gonna be the Barbee Dolls...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:22:32 PM »
I'm excited about the hire, finally we'll have some excitement from our basketball program. Wde!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:35:58 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5025730

Sources: Barbee to coach Auburn

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

UTEP's Tony Barbee has accepted Auburn's head coaching job Wednesday, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

Barbee was one of at least four candidates interviewed for the position in Atlanta in the last two days. Barbee will replace the fired Jeff Lebo, who was let go after six seasons after failing to reach the NCAA tournament.

Barbee coached the Miners to the Conference USA regular-season title with a record of 15-1 and was named the conference coach of the year in his fourth season. Barbee (82-52) improved the Miners from 14 to 19 to 23 to 26 wins. The Miners lost the C-USA championship game to Houston and then fell as a No. 12 seed to No. 5 Butler in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Barbee was set to interview with DePaul later this week.

Barbee replaces Lebo, who got the East Carolina job last week, at a time when Auburn is upgrading its program with a brand new facility.

Barbee was coached by Kentucky coach John Calipari at UMass and now will go against his former mentor in the SEC. Barbee gives Calipari a former assistant in the league. Fellow rival Billy Donovan at Florida has two former assistants as head coaches in the SEC in John Pelphrey (Arkansas) and Anthony Grant (Alabama).

UTEP may look to former Miners assistant Tim Floyd, a former head coach at USC and a current New Orleans Hornets assistant, as well as former UTEP, Texas A&M and Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie and Sam Houston State's Bob Marlin. Arkansas assistant and former Arizona State head coach Rob Evans and Marquette assistant Tony Benford may also be in the mix.

The question for the Miners is will center Derrick Caracter return to the team or declare for the NBA draft. Caracter averaged 14.1 points and 8.1 rebounds a game after transferring from Louisville. The Miners should return junior guard Randy Culpepper, the leading scorer at 17.9 points a game.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 10:18:28 PM »
I added some more info from an Iowa blogger if you want a bit more about Barbee on Birmingham's post.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 10:29:28 PM »
So what will the fan club be if it's not Barbee Dolls? 

Barbee Cue? 

Barbee Cue Tigers?

Barbee's Barbarians? 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 11:57:28 PM »
Thank god...

I think JJ got this right. I wouldn't have been sold on anyone really but Tubby, which I don't think was coming, or Barbee. This is a solid hire. To be honest, I really know nothing of him except he is very highly regarded as a college coach. This is a Young guy that has had success that can bring some enthusiam to the program and make some noise quickly. Nice job!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 03:24:51 AM »
"Word on da skreets"...

Coach Barbee will bring in a top big man who is in prep school right now. Will be a freshman next year. Major stud. There will also be a transfer of a stud point guard from a top school due to the home medical issue transfer rule. He will be immediately available as a sophomore.

Barbee will bring his top southern recruiting assistant. Huge ties to Memphis in particular and the south in general. We will get some top players to come to AU with Barbee and this asst.  He will look at current team and see who he wants to keep and who needs/wants to leave.  He will do the same for the incoming recruiting class. There WILL be some changes.

Barbee will come to AU on Thurs and then he has a signed a deal to work with CBS for the next few days during the tourny. So Auburn will get some TV time due to this as well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 08:17:26 AM »
Gotta say, that it is moving.  and I have not even touched it. yet.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

jmar

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 08:52:57 AM »
I thought Person was the obvious best hire after Lebo but Barbee might actually be better if he stays as long as Lebo because Auburn gets a built-in recruiting machine in the process and a template for building a contender from talent beyond the distance of a tank of gas. He coaches an attacking, uptempo game and size will not be an excuse after he makes the rounds following his maiden season. That Jacobs guy must have a horseshoe huh? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 09:38:39 AM »

at attention
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 10:15:49 AM »
So what will the fan club be if it's not Barbee Dolls? 

Barbee Cue? 

Barbee Cue Tigers?

Barbee's Barbarians? 
Barbee's Blackout?

Lies.
That Jacobs guy must have a horseshoe huh? 
I have a pretty good idea where it is.

That all having been said....SUPER excited about Barbee. This basketball program needed a defibrillator....and I think he might be it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 10:17:21 AM »
So we got a winner not a loser?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Ogre

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 10:18:14 AM »
Barbee's Blackout?

Why does it always have to be about race with you?  Fucking Mexican.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 10:19:57 AM »
Why does it always have to be about race with you?  phuking Mexican.

Yeah - but a hot mexican....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE