Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thank you big brother!!

Token

Thank you big brother!!
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:08:49 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/15/AR2010031503742_pf.html

Thanks for looking out for the rest of us.  No need to waste time with things such as voting. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Re: Thank you big brother!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:29:33 PM »
I have a lot of problems with the Republicans voting no on everything in order to spite the Obama administration.  And I have a lot of problems with the fact that Democrats have been pushing their own bill and not giving any constructive leeway to the Republicans.

However, this is absolute bullshit and is a prime example of why Nancy Pelosi is a fucking mommy part bucket.

Pardon my French.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:43:17 PM »
I think they should raise our taxes, and pass the health care bill.  :puke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 10:18:02 AM »
The title of this thread caught my attention, but once I read things I realized it wasn't what I thought it would be. Kind of like an incestuous relationship between bammers.

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/03/eff-posts-documents-detailing-law-enforcement

http://www.eff.org/files/filenode/social_network/20100303__crim_socialnetworking.pdf
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:19:17 AM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 11:14:49 AM »
Didn't Bush and Co. use the "deem and pass" tactic numerous times during his presidency? 

I actually think Chris Dodd had a big speech about how Bush was trying to be a dictator with his deem and pass schemes. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Vandy Vol

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 11:50:52 AM »
Didn't Bush and Co. use the "deem and pass" tactic numerous times during his presidency? 

I actually think Chris Dodd had a big speech about how Bush was trying to be a dictator with his deem and pass schemes. 

I'm not a fan of the deem and pass strategy at all.  Bush did use it during his term.  In fact, Republicans in general have used the strategy in the past more than Democrats have.  Nonetheless, Pelosi and other Democrats sued Bush in 2005 for using the strategy, and now she's using it.

Of course, the courts ruled that it was a legal procedure, but I still don't agree with its use, either by Republicans or Democrats.  And especially not for something so large.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 12:21:11 AM »
I have a lot of problems with the Republicans voting no on everything in order to spite the Obama administration.  And I have a lot of problems with the fact that Democrats have been pushing their own bill and not giving any constructive leeway to the Republicans. 
Not that I'm a big fan of Republicans, what have those mean bad-mannered Republicans voted against that should have been considered? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Vandy Vol

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 03:09:23 AM »
Not that I'm a big fan of Republicans, what have those mean bad-mannered Republicans voted against that should have been considered? 

They filibustered the bill that extended unemployment benefits for a month and provided highway funding to re-employ 2,000 workers.  They placed a blanket hold on several dozen administration nominees.  They blocked the Conrad-Gregg proposal.  McCain was a major supporter of cap and trade legislation until Obama proposed it; he also changed his stance on DADT.  And of course, there's the accepted treatment of shoe bomber Richard Reid under Bush in comparison to the rejected (yet identical) treatment of Omar Abdulmutallab under Obama.

This isn't to say that any and all of those situations mentioned above should not have been blocked, filibustered, or treated any differently.  Some of those are valid and some are not.  The point is that there is a definitive difference in the manner in which Republicans are choosing to treat bills and administrative actions under the Obama administration.  The frequency of filibusters (and threats to utilize filibusters) are measured by the number of times the upper chamber votes on cloture.  Last year, the first of the 111th Congress, there were a record 112 cloture votes.  In the first two months of 2010, the number exceeded 40.  Republicans have tried to filibuster more legislation in 2008 than in the entire 1950s and '60s combined.  With 10 months left to run in the 111th Congress, Republicans have turned to the filibuster or threatened its use at a pace that will more than triple the old record.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 10:08:53 AM »
I think they should raise our taxes, and pass the health care bill.  :puke:

I wish they would hurry up and shove this healthcare down our throats.  I love tax hikes and besides when it goes to hell in a handbasket, I can always blame it on that damn Bush and the evil conservatives. 

Once that is done we can talk about the important things like DADT, getting 40oz gourment beers, homosexual marriage and a whole host of pressing social issues that are bankrupting this country.........Oh, wait.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GarMan

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 11:17:45 AM »
They filibustered the bill that extended unemployment benefits for a month and provided highway funding to re-employ 2,000 workers.  They placed a blanket hold on several dozen administration nominees.  They blocked the Conrad-Gregg proposal.  McCain was a major supporter of cap and trade legislation until Obama proposed it; he also changed his stance on DADT.  And of course, there's the accepted treatment of shoe bomber Richard Reid under Bush in comparison to the rejected (yet identical) treatment of Omar Abdulmutallab under Obama.

This isn't to say that any and all of those situations mentioned above should not have been blocked, filibustered, or treated any differently.  Some of those are valid and some are not. 
I think all of those plans, bills and ideas are complete garbage and should have been blocked.  Is there anything above that should have been given a chance to pass?

The point is that there is a definitive difference in the manner in which Republicans are choosing to treat bills and administrative actions under the Obama administration.  The frequency of filibusters (and threats to utilize filibusters) are measured by the number of times the upper chamber votes on cloture.  Last year, the first of the 111th Congress, there were a record 112 cloture votes.  In the first two months of 2010, the number exceeded 40.  Republicans have tried to filibuster more legislation in 2008 than in the entire 1950s and '60s combined.  With 10 months left to run in the 111th Congress, Republicans have turned to the filibuster or threatened its use at a pace that will more than triple the old record.
OK...  If Republicans are in the minority, how else to they stop this trash from passing?  If there's an alternative means, please share it with us. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 01:21:44 PM »

This isn't to say that any and all of those situations mentioned above should not have been blocked, filibustered, or treated any differently.  Some of those are valid and some are not.  The point is that there is a definitive difference in the manner in which Republicans are choosing to treat bills and administrative actions under the Obama administration.  The frequency of filibusters (and threats to utilize filibusters) are measured by the number of times the upper chamber votes on cloture.  Last year, the first of the 111th Congress, there were a record 112 cloture votes.  In the first two months of 2010, the number exceeded 40.  Republicans have tried to filibuster more legislation in 2008 than in the entire 1950s and '60s combined.  With 10 months left to run in the 111th Congress, Republicans have turned to the filibuster or threatened its use at a pace that will more than triple the old record.

You make good argument here and I dont necessarily disagree with you, but please please please for the love of everything holy, dont use John McCain as an example of "our" side. He is not one of us and neither are the Bushs. They are neocons.

And on the point of Deem and Pass and Reconciliation - These are only good under certain measures. If Bush did it with questionable motives, then I criticize him. Same thing here with Obama. The difference here to me VV is that SO much is at stake this time. We are talking about 1 Trillion dollars. 1/5th of our GDP. That is a TON of money in our economy on the line to be playing such a risky game with. 60% of the public does not want this bill passed. ANd the forcing of it flies right in the face of what a constitutional republic (which is what we are - not a true democracy) stand for - which is "We the People". This is how dictators rule - against the WILL and WANT of the people. There is so much wrong here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 11:44:32 PM »
I think all of those plans, bills and ideas are complete garbage and should have been blocked.  Is there anything above that should have been given a chance to pass?
OK...  If Republicans are in the minority, how else to they stop this trash from passing?  If there's an alternative means, please share it with us. 

The numerous nominees that they blocked weren't economic bills that were going to drive us into destruction.  In fact, not allowing people to be appointed just for the sake of voting no probably hindered those agencies because they did not have the necessary personnel.

At any rate, it's more of the tone that they have taken with this.  Various Republican politicians have made statements about stopping the Democrats, and even Obama in particular.  Their comments imply that their consistent no votes to bills drafted by Democrats are not an attempt to save the American people from the big bad wolf.  This is only exacerbated when they make incorrect, fear mongering statements about non-existent clauses in bills (death panels, health care for illegal immigrants, etc.).  I'm not a staunch supporter of either political party, nor do I have a general hatred for all Republican politicians, nor do I think that the Democrats have done nothing wrong in this scenario

Not all Republicans do it.  Lamar Alexander and Mike Pence (amongst others) make very informative arguments.  But overall, this has turned into a childish power struggle in which most Republicans seem more interested in causing Obama to fail than actually doing something.  That's how their commentary and consistent no votes appear to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 11:51:43 PM »
You make good argument here and I dont necessarily disagree with you, but please please please for the love of everything holy, dont use John McCain as an example of "our" side. He is not one of us and neither are the Bushs. They are neocons.

And on the point of Deem and Pass and Reconciliation - These are only good under certain measures. If Bush did it with questionable motives, then I criticize him. Same thing here with Obama. The difference here to me VV is that SO much is at stake this time. We are talking about 1 Trillion dollars. 1/5th of our GDP. That is a TON of money in our economy on the line to be playing such a risky game with. 60% of the public does not want this bill passed. ANd the forcing of it flies right in the face of what a constitutional republic (which is what we are - not a true democracy) stand for - which is "We the People". This is how dictators rule - against the WILL and WANT of the people. There is so much wrong here.

The latest Rasmussen Report has 54% of voters opposing the health care reform bill.  Now, that is this specific bill.  The majority of people support health care reform in general, just not this particular bill.  Some of this might be due to incorrect statements made by Republicans about the contents of the bill, but the majority of polled voters stated that the cost is what causes them to oppose it.

Of course, none of this means that I support to bill itself, and I certainly don't support the manner in which Pelosi is trying to get it passed.  And I agree with you that the Bush administration is just as blameworthy as the Obama administration for using it; I only brought up Bush because someone else mentioned that he used it.  And I also agree that this is a huge bill that shouldn't be passed via this method.  Regardless, it is my opinion that no bill, regardless of its size, should be passed in this manner.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 01:35:31 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/15/AR2010031503742_pf.html

Thanks for looking out for the rest of us.  No need to waste time with things such as voting. 

You're welcome.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 09:07:04 AM »
The latest Rasmussen Report has 54% of voters opposing the health care reform bill. 

Oh hey. Look at that. That is about the same number of people who actually pay taxes. Do we not see this country divided into those who pay and those who do not? Estimated 46% do not pay taxes. Damn funny how that works out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 11:27:19 AM »
I see it divided differently.

Those who think they know what is best for me and those that are too dumb to realize how they are getting fucked by not standing on their own.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GarMan

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 01:07:09 PM »
The numerous nominees that they blocked weren't economic bills that were going to drive us into destruction.  In fact, not allowing people to be appointed just for the sake of voting no probably hindered those agencies because they did not have the necessary personnel.
Seriously, when you take a break from talking in 50,000 foot platitudes, maybe you can share a specific nominee that should have been given a fair opportunity.  I remember something like three nominees in a row that had newly discovered tax discrepancies in their background.  I guess those bad old Republicrats aren't playing fair. 

At any rate, it's more of the tone that they have taken with this.  Various Republican politicians have made statements about stopping the Democrats, and even Obama in particular.  Their comments imply that their consistent no votes to bills drafted by Democrats are not an attempt to save the American people from the big bad wolf.  This is only exacerbated when they make incorrect, fear mongering statements about non-existent clauses in bills (death panels, health care for illegal immigrants, etc.).  I'm not a staunch supporter of either political party, nor do I have a general hatred for all Republican politicians, nor do I think that the Democrats have done nothing wrong in this scenario

Not all Republicans do it.  Lamar Alexander and Mike Pence (amongst others) make very informative arguments.  But overall, this has turned into a childish power struggle in which most Republicans seem more interested in causing Obama to fail than actually doing something.  That's how their commentary and consistent no votes appear to me.
I understand the general perception of this, but we're still waiting for specifics.  I think the scare tactics are silly, but there are a lot of truths out there that have been wrongly classified as fear mongering. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 01:23:38 PM »
Seriously, when you take a break from talking in 50,000 foot platitudes, maybe you can share a specific nominee that should have been given a fair opportunity.  I remember something like three nominees in a row that had newly discovered tax discrepancies in their background.  I guess those bad old Republicrats aren't playing fair.

Terry Yonkers, Frank Kendall and Erin Conaton are just a few of the 70 withheld nominees who did not have any legitimate reason to be withheld.  And let's not act as if Republican nominees have never had tax issues; Paul O'Neill and Bernard Kerik should ring some bells.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 02:26:46 PM »
Terry Yonkers, Frank Kendall and Erin Conaton are just a few of the 70 withheld nominees who did not have any legitimate reason to be withheld. 
Yeah...  Pretty silly...  From what I've read though, it's politics as usual.  A Republicrat Senator from 'Bama wants two of his pet projects to be considered.  By the way, he seems to have lifted his hold on most of the nominations back in February.  Oh...  And, Demoncraps never do this...  Right...

And let's not act as if Republican nominees have never had tax issues; Paul O'Neill and Bernard Kerik should ring some bells. 
Of course...  I have no problem whatsoever calling a spade a spade, but just because one does something doesn't absolve the other of the responsibility.  If we're going to shoot, let's take the shots where they belong. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 02:54:03 PM »
Yeah...  Pretty silly...  From what I've read though, it's politics as usual.  A Republicrat Senator from 'Bama wants two of his pet projects to be considered.  By the way, he seems to have lifted his hold on most of the nominations back in February.  Oh...  And, Demoncraps never do this...  Right...

It is politics as usual; Democrats have done it as well.  I never said that they haven't.  Nonetheless, the frequency with which Republicans have done this since Obama's election and the tone they've taken in their open defiance has reeked of childish games.

Of course...  I have no problem whatsoever calling a spade a spade, but just because one does something doesn't absolve the other of the responsibility.  If we're going to shoot, let's take the shots where they belong. 

I agree.  I never attempted to absolve Democrats of any responsibility; I even pointed them out in my initial posts as being blameworthy for several things.  However, the degree to which I see Republicans doing this is slightly absurd.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions