Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

20 best war movies?

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
20 best war movies?
« on: March 12, 2010, 03:18:05 PM »
Fox has come out with a list of the top 20 war movies of all time. A shit list if you ask many.

No Patton.
No Big Red One
No Midway.
No Great Escape.(although I find that just on the edge of being a war movie)

As a child who absolutely loved war movies, I am amazed at how many on this list are here just because they seem to have an anti-war theme.

Full Metal Jacket? Come on. Good movie but not near top 20.

Hurt locker? Not that great, but libruls love it.

Platoon? Not a GREAT movie, but an important one as it was the first movie about Nam that tried to show the raw side of that war. Again, not great but groundbreaking.

Mash? More anti war drivel form a war movie standpoint.

Black Hawk Down? More of a political statement than a great movie. Fun to watch, but not 3 4 , or 10 times.

The Deer Hunter as a war movie?

Apocalypse Now? Great war movie? Really?

Schindler's list. Great movie, but was it really a war movie so to speak?

Some are crying about Green Berets not on the list, but that movie was a WWII movie made to look like Nam. Not that great.

What are some of your favorites and which of these do you agree with or disagree with?

Sorry. I thought I added alink:

http://entertainment.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/03/12/whats-your-favorite-war-flick-that-we-missed/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:22:21 PM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: 20 best war movies?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 03:19:02 PM »
Fox has come out with a list of the top 20 war movies of all time. A shit list if you ask many.

No Patton.
NO PATTON???

Blasphemy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:26:40 PM »
NO PATTON???

Blasphemy.

Well. That was about kicking ass and taking names. Today's new American only has been taught to take names.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 03:28:41 PM »
IMO   War Eagles Dare.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »
Well. That was about kicking ass and taking names. Today's new American only has been taught to take names.

Our own names so we can Courtmartial the evil wrong doers for mishandling terrorists.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 03:39:08 PM »
My favorite movie was Saving Private Ryan.  It is an all around good movie with fairly no agenda, and shows the realism of war.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 03:44:50 PM »
There is the uncolorized version of "The Sands of Iwo Jima" and then there is everything else.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 03:48:11 PM »
Is The Longest Day on there?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 03:56:09 PM »
Platoon, Hamburger Hill, Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers, The Patriot (more personalized story than an account of the war, but still), Empire of the Sun, Good Morning Vietnam...some of those I'd suggest go on the all-time list, and some I wouldn't, but all of them are some of my war movie favorites.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 04:04:40 PM »
Patton should be at the top, followed by the likes of Tora, Tora, Tora and The Longest Day.
I have always been a big fan of Force 10 From Navarone myself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

chinook

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 04:20:02 PM »
is there a link to review the list?  

i don't have time to search teh intrawebs...imagine that..anyhoo thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:20:35 PM by chinook »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 04:23:25 PM »
Patton should be at the top, followed by the likes of Tora, Tora, Tora and The Longest Day.

Those are the ones we kicked butt in and had true heros. Hollywood don't like that. :rolleyes:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

chinook

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 04:26:24 PM »

Those are the ones we kicked butt in and had true heros. Hollywood don't like that. Roll Eyes

quote...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 05:21:59 PM »
The Dirty Dozen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »
Ya do mean "what's our top list after Band of Brothers"...correct?  I know Band of Brothers wasn't a "movie", but it is the best "War" movie/HBO series/documentary, hands down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 12:30:29 PM »
Ya do mean "what's our top list after Band of Brothers"...correct?  I know Band of Brothers wasn't a "movie", but it is the best "War" movie/HBO series/documentary, hands down.

Speaking of...

"The Pacific" starts very soon on HBO.  Should be pretty bad ass from what previews and reviews I've seen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 01:16:37 PM »
HeartBreak Ridge
Top Gun
Full Metal Jacket
Tropical Thunder
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down
Delta Force 1-4
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 01:18:08 PM by HogBear »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 07:50:58 PM »
The best AND most realistic with no agenda either way whatsoever:
Saving Private Ryan (10 of 10, no weakness in this movie IMHO)
We Were Soldiers (another good one - actually met Hal Moore a few years ago, great guy)

Legendary/Talked About a lot but not that great to me:
Apocalypse Now (good but not great - Brando was overrated)
Platoon (Dafoe was good - thats about it)
Full Metal Jacket (gotta love DI Hartman)
Pearl Harbor (more of a love story - blah....)

Pretty decent war flicks:
Patton (self explanatory)
Great Escape
Deer Hunter (shows the aftermath back home in a small town)
Hamburger Hill
Black Hawk Down (somewhat political but still good)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 11:30:20 AM »

In that case, hands down...

The Sopranos was the second or third best mob movie of all time.

Law & Order is the best police procedural movie of all time.

The Andy Griffith Show was the best comedy movie of all time.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 10:32:53 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions