Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Camcorder Help Needed

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
Camcorder Help Needed
« on: March 09, 2010, 12:59:03 PM »
With Baby coming it's time to go get a camcorder.  Any suggestions?  We don't want to spend a ton of money, actaully considering a Flip but don't know if it will suffice.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

Re: Camcorder Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
With Baby coming it's time to go get a camcorder.  Any suggestions?  We don't want to spend a ton of money, actaully considering a Flip but don't know if it will suffice.

i'm in the minority of parents who think camcorders are a waste of money and time.

we received one as a wedding present from the in-laws.  first...forgot to take it on our honeymoon. 

since our first child was born, who will be turning 5 next month, my wife and i have (probably) logged no more than 6 hours on the video camera.  most of the time it was never charged or was forgotten. 

of the few hours we've recorded, the tapes are stashed in a box awaiting to be downloaded in the cpu.  my mom, sisters, grandmothers, aunts, great aunts, 3rd cousins...back east, are patiently waiting for a copy. 

christmas of 2008...charged and ready (i was ambitious) until our 18 month old daughter decides its a toy.  it now doesn't work.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »
We have a Sony.  Meh.  It takes those tiny DVDs.  And now I cannot figure out how to get the video off the DVD and onto my computer.  So I have a bajillion DVDs in the fireproof safe.

And I would not trade the videos of Katie's and Spencer's births for anything.  I was so out of it for the first day that if not for the video, I would have so few memories.  Kind of like a wedding - too much going on to process all at once. 

With a first/an only child, it is not too hard to get the video going. Second kid gets screwed.   Tons of Katie stuff.  Very little Spencer stuff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 05:11:42 PM »
I have the Kodak Vi8 1080p handheld recorder and I really like it. It has a USB cable so you can upload your videos directly to your computer. I bought the kodak instead of the Flip because it comes with an Hdmi cable that you can hook up to your tv and instantly watch videos. It was $179 at Best Buy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 05:45:49 PM »
I have the Kodak Vi8 1080p handheld recorder and I really like it. It has a USB cable so you can upload your videos directly to your computer. I bought the kodak instead of the Flip because it comes with an Hdmi cable that you can hook up to your tv and instantly watch videos. It was $179 at Best Buy.

Is the video on the kodak or Flip good enough quality?  I like the idea that it is basically the size of a digital camera and easy to carry.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 06:26:47 PM »
Is the video on the kodak or Flip good enough quality?  I like the idea that it is basically the size of a digital camera and easy to carry.

Spend a little money and get a decent one. You will be glad that you did. Google MF to find out which one it should be.

I start a new video every year. I occasionally pop one of the older ones in the machine and watch the kids when they were tiny and believed everything I told them. Good times and money well spent.

I cannot reccomend this highly enough.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 06:37:01 PM »
Spend a little money and get a decent one. You will be glad that you did. Google MF to find out which one it should be.

I start a new video every year. I occasionally pop one of the older ones in the machine and watch the kids when they were tiny and believed everything I told them. Good times and money well spent.

I cannot reccomend this highly enough.

Google MF?  I'm confused
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 06:38:01 PM »
The picture quality is amazing, 1080p hd. The only drawback would be it won't zoom in as close at a concert or sporting event. I think it's great.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 06:39:47 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 11:13:21 AM »
http://www.woot.com/

Today only.

I'd go with that one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 12:46:28 PM »
My parents have a flip to take vids of the grand kids. I think it does the trick. Personally, I like the way the old timey home movies looked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions