*sigh*
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: AU 74 LSU 59
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 01:13:45 PM »
Calgon take me away.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:24:53 PM »
Played golf today with a guy whose dad played for Sonny and who is part of the upcoming last game reunion at Beard Eaves. Don't know if that counts as connected or not but he said there was zero chance Lebo goes. Supposedly -- and not sure I buy it -- he's already been told he will have minimum two years in the new arena.

Blech.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 04:48:24 PM »
Played golf today with a guy whose dad played for Sonny and who is part of the upcoming last game reunion at Beard Eaves. Don't know if that counts as connected or not but he said there was zero chance Lebo goes. Supposedly -- and not sure I buy it -- he's already been told he will have minimum two years in the new arena.

Blech.

Wouldn't suprise me. But this is bullshit. No way this fucker should have 8 years in order to "Turn" the program around. This is bullshit...

JJ needs to go. I am getting tired of a shitty basketball and baseball team. He got "lucky" with Chizik. (I say lucky because in my opinion he has exceeded expectations up to this point). This shit needs to stop...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 05:58:19 PM »
Wouldn't suprise me. But this is bullshit. No way this fucker should have 8 years in order to "Turn" the program around. This is bullshit...

JJ needs to go. I am getting tired of a shitty basketball and baseball team. He got "lucky" with Chizik. (I say lucky because in my opinion he has exceeded expectations up to this point). This shit needs to stop...

JJ has only made 2 hires. Chizik and Pawlowski.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:59:56 PM by Aubie16 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 08:41:41 AM »
JJ has only made 2 hires. Chizik and Pawlowski.

Fair enough. Didn't JJ hire the baseball coach before Pawlowski?

I know you keep up with baseball, but what do you think about Pawlowski? I thought we under achieved last year and this year we have to make it to the tourny.

Regardless of the coaches he has hired, the baseball and basketball teams have been shitty.

If Lebo gets 2 more years, I will be pissed. I used to love watching Auburn basketball. I kept up with it every night after each game and would make sure I could watch when ever I could. Now? I casually check a score every now and then. It sucks. I just want to be competitive. Hell, I don't know a whole hell of a lot about basketball, but even I can tell that our team has no offensive game plan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:31:49 AM »
Fair enough. Didn't JJ hire the baseball coach before Pawlowski?

Tom Slater was hired in June by a combination of Dr. Richardson, Hal Baird, and an Advisory Committee because we didn't have an athletic director. David Housel had already resigned and Jay Jacobs wasn't named his successor until December of that year. Could you place some blame on Jacobs for not firing him a year earlier? Maybe. But  he hasn't "missed" on any initial hirings yet.

I know you keep up with baseball, but what do you think about Pawlowski? I thought we under achieved last year and this year we have to make it to the tourny.

Sadly I don't get to follow Auburn baseball like I used to. Moving away from Auburn last year for a different job really hurt my ability to follow them. I'll be lucky if I get back to 6-10 games this year. I like where we are headed and it appears Pawlowski has addressed our immediate pitching needs. I think this year will be an improvement over the last 4-5. I'll be surprised if we aren't in Hoover and an NCAA Regional this year.

Regardless of the coaches he has hired, the baseball and basketball teams have been shitty.

If Lebo gets 2 more years, I will be pissed. I used to love watching Auburn basketball. I kept up with it every night after each game and would make sure I could watch when ever I could. Now? I casually check a score every now and then. It sucks. I just want to be competitive. Hell, I don't know a whole hell of a lot about basketball, but even I can tell that our team has no offensive game plan.

I hope Lebo does get the boot this year but I am afraid that we are going to give him another year. If we do fire Lebo, I hope we give Tony Barbee a very hard look. He is a guy who I think could be tailor-made for this job.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:33:36 AM by Aubie16 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:56:21 AM »
Here's what I'm thinking the athletic department is thinking about keeping Lebo around another year or two.

Purely from a business standpoint.

You need to put asses in seats. Well, next year you pretty much have a guarantee. People want to go see us play in the new arena, even if we do suck.

I know it'll work for me. I'll go to games regardless next year just for that reason alone.

If we still suck a year or two after that? The newness of the arena has worn off, and something else needs to excite the fan base. New coach.

So why not hire a new coach and get the new arena at the same time?

Diminishing returns.

I think you have to at least give half a shit about basketball for either of those things to motivate you to go to a game. The new arena itself can spark enough excitement to get their target number in the seats. A new coach would do about the same, although perhaps slightly less so. "Spreading the excitement out", and thus sustaining the interest in the basketball program, I think in the long run makes the most sense from a business perspective.

As a fan, I want Lebo out yesterday.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 12:40:29 PM »
The thought of two more years makes me sick.  And just think, what if he has a team that goes on a lucky run at the end of the year again?  That could get him another "he's so close" year.  

Damn, I mean, what if this guys manages to stay at Auburn for ten years?  

Aside from Mike Donahue, who was the first coach, back when they played 5-10 games per year, we've had 5 coaches that coached at least 10 years.

Jordan was 95-77 in 10 seasons.  He had 6 .500% or better seasons.  Of his 4 losing seasons, 2 were his first two, and one was his last.  In the middle 7 seasons, only 1 was losing.   He had a stretch of 5 of 6 seasons that were .640 or better winning %.  Seven winning seasons in the SEC.  If you remove his best year, he was still 81-72.

Eaves was 213-100 in 14 seasons.  He had 14 winning seasons, including going 106-28 in a 6 year stretch.  It also included a 2 year run of 39-5.  10 of his 14 seasons were .619 winning % or better. Ten winning SEC seasons, 1 SEC title.  If you remove his best year, he was 193-98.

Bill Lynn went 130-124 in 10 seasons.   He had 6 seasons of .500% or better.  He had a stretch of 4 out of 5 years with .600 or better winning %.  Of his losing seasons, one was his first, and three were his last three.  Five .500 or better SEC seasons.  If you remove his best year, he was 114-115.

Sonny Smith was 173-154 in 11 seasons.  He had 7 seasons of .500% or better.  Of his losing seasons, 3 were his first 3, and one was his last.  He had 7 winning seasons in a row in the middle.  He had a stretch of 4 of 5 years with a .633 or better winning %.  Four .500 or better SEC seasons.  If you take out his best season, he was 151-143.

Cliff was 186-125 in 10 seasons.  He had 9 winning seasons, 4 of which were .594 or better, two .700 or better.  Three .500 or better SEC seasons, 1 SEC title.  If you remove his best year, he was 157-124.

Jeff Weblow is 95-91 in 6 seasons so far.  He has 2 winning seasons.  He has one season of .600 or better winning %.  If you remove his best year, he's 71-79.

Even Bill Lynn, who probably shouldn't have gotten 10 years, was able to string together 5 pretty good years in a row and was .488 in SEC play.  Lebo has strung nothing together except a hot streak at the end of one season in which we still didn't make the NCAA tournament.  He's also a miserable 34-60 (.378%) in SEC play.

I just don't get it.  It's like we rehired Tommy Joe Eagles, except Lebo's last name is Lebo, not Eagles, so he doesn't even have that going for him.  If he gets two more years, what do we expect happens?  Maybe one is winning, one is losing.  That will mean we have employed a coach that was able to have three winning seasons out of eight.  Totally unacceptable.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:41:27 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jadennis

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 12:47:37 PM »
Here's what I'm thinking the athletic department is thinking about keeping Lebo around another year or two.

You need to put asses in seats. Well, next year you pretty much have a guarantee. People want to go see us play in the new arena, even if we do suck.

I know it'll work for me. I'll go to games regardless next year just for that reason alone.

If we still suck a year or two after that? The newness of the arena has worn off, and something else needs to excite the fan base. New coach.

Diminishing returns.

I think you have to at least give half a poop about basketball for either of those things to motivate you to go to a game. The new arena itself can spark enough excitement to get their target number in the seats. A new coach would do about the same, although perhaps slightly less so. "Spreading the excitement out", and thus sustaining the interest in the basketball program, I think in the long run makes the most sense from a business perspective.

I see some logic in this, but it's found in a flawed situation.  Meaning, you found some logic there, but only because you were forced to try to find some in a decision that, at this point, makes no sense really.  Add to it that we don't pay him much (compared to what we'd pay the next coach....I hope), and we won't have a buy-out of any kind.

Butts in seats is good, but winning is what it's about.   Butts or not, the money generated from the basketball program should be focused on TV appearances in the tournament.  If we get to that, the butts will be a given.  In other words, we should have higher standards and goals than filling the new arena.

I know you probably agree with that and, like I said, were just trying to find some sense in the decision of keeping him two more years. 

I've said this about this situation before.....that which you know will be done eventually must be done immediately.  He's not the long term answer.  We know that.  Fire him.  Simple as that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »

Diminishing returns.

I think you have to at least give half a shit about basketball for either of those things to motivate you to go to a game. The new arena itself can spark enough excitement to get their target number in the seats. A new coach would do about the same, although perhaps slightly less so. "Spreading the excitement out", and thus sustaining the interest in the basketball program, I think in the long run makes the most sense from a business perspective.

I disagree with this premise entirely.  (Big surprise, huh?)

The new arena will get people excited and attending -- once.  Maybe twice. 

It's like polishing a turd.   You can shine it up and make it sparkle. People will be attracted to the glow. But then they hold it, they smell it and they quickly realize it's still a turd.  And they put it down. 

Would you start using your Commodore64 again if they put it in a shiny new box?  Are you going to start liking GrapeNuts (this is the worst cereal in the world IMO) if they put it in a prettier package?  No.  You might try it once to see if it's changed, but once you eat a bowl of the same dirty gravel, it won't really matter how much you like the packaging.

The new arena will get an attendance boost in the first few weeks.  It will be "packed" (and it only holds, what, 800 people?) when we play Kentucky and Alabama.  If the product on the floor is no better, it will echo just like B-E does by mid season.

If this is the thinking, it's completely flawed.  AU fans have already proven that they will turn out for a winning basketball (or any other) team no matter where they play.  The basketball team could play on the roof of Haley and people would come from everywhere to see it as long as they were competitive.  Don't even really have to win, just go into each game with a chance. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 02:34:45 PM »
The basketball team could play on the roof of Haley and people would come from everywhere to see it as long as they were competitive.  Don't even really have to win, just go into each game with a chance. 

Are you kidding?

We went into every game last year with a chance to win. Heck we won almost twice as many as we lost in the SEC alone. We went 21-10 (10-6) last year. Guess how many times we had over 75% attendance? Three.

Sorry but at Auburn you need to be better than competitive to draw big crowds. It is the sad fact of it. The fans won't show up unless you are much better than competitive. You have to have a great team.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 03:07:54 PM »
Are you kidding?

We went into every game last year with a chance to win. Heck we won almost twice as many as we lost in the SEC alone. We went 21-10 (10-6) last year. Guess how many times we had over 75% attendance? Three.

Sorry but at Auburn you need to be better than competitive to draw big crowds. It is the sad fact of it. The fans won't show up unless you are much better than competitive. You have to have a great team.

Agreed. We are having trouble rounding up people to go to the LAST GAME EVER in Beard-Eaves on Wed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 03:48:08 PM »
Are you kidding?

Well damn.  I was trying to be positive. 

Enough of that silliness.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 04:01:02 PM »
Are you kidding?

He probably should have said a consistently competitive team (and competitive means fighting for a spot in the NCAA tournament).  Last years team threw together a short good run toward the end of the year.  On February 4th of last year, we were 13-9 and 2-5 in the SEC.  We were, again, not really competitive, and definitely lacking excitement and expectations worthy of spending money on (sorry Wench).  We ended up going 8-1 to finish the year.

So really, last years 21-10 team was based on a 9 game stretch.  People aren't going to budge for a 9 game stretch when the previous 71 SEC games we were 21-50.

After a 71 game stretch like that in conference play, it takes more than 4 wins in a row to get people off their butts.  Once we were 6 or 7 games into that streak, people were finally starting to care a little and there was a bit of a buzz.  

If we had 19-21 win seasons for a few years in a row and were fighting for an NCAA birth for 3 out of 4 years, then you'll see the consistent attendance based on winning and being competitive.  All last year did was set up this year for gaining support and momentum.  People were still playing a bit of "wait and see", but after the strong finish to last year, they were at least eagerly awaiting.

Lebo promptly pissed on that fire with losses to Missouri State, Central Florida, and Troy in the first 8 games of this year.  Now everyone is back to the "21-50" indifference towards the program.  

Just like Kaos said, Auburn would watch a winner (even a team just fighting to be in the field of 65) anywhere.  Auburn went 29-51 over an 80 game stretch in the SEC.  Just because the last 9 were exciting doesn't mean we can expect everyone to break out of their cold, blank stares when it comes to our basketball team.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:02:02 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 04:23:30 PM »
He probably should have said a consistently competitive team (and competitive means fighting for a spot in the NCAA tournament).  Last years team threw together a short good run toward the end of the year.  On February 4th of last year, we were 13-9 and 2-5 in the SEC.  We were, again, not really competitive, and definitely lacking excitement and expectations worthy of spending money on (sorry Wench).  We ended up going 8-1 to finish the year.

So really, last years 21-10 team was based on a 9 game stretch.  People aren't going to budge for a 9 game stretch when the previous 71 SEC games we were 21-50.

After a 71 game stretch like that in conference play, it takes more than 4 wins in a row to get people off their butts.  Once we were 6 or 7 games into that streak, people were finally starting to care a little and there was a bit of a buzz.  

If we had 19-21 win seasons for a few years in a row and were fighting for an NCAA birth for 3 out of 4 years, then you'll see the consistent attendance based on winning and being competitive.  All last year did was set up this year for gaining support and momentum.  People were still playing a bit of "wait and see", but after the strong finish to last year, they were at least eagerly awaiting.

Lebo promptly pissed on that fire with losses to Missouri State, Central Florida, and Troy in the first 8 games of this year.  Now everyone is back to the "21-50" indifference towards the program.  

Just like Kaos said, Auburn would watch a winner (even a team just fighting to be in the field of 65) anywhere.  Auburn went 29-51 over an 80 game stretch in the SEC.  Just because the last 9 were exciting doesn't mean we can expect everyone to break out of their cold, blank stares when it comes to our basketball team.

This. All of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 12:59:13 AM »
Well damn.  I was trying to be positive. 

Enough of that silliness.

Or you were just wrong again.

Let the silliness continue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 07:27:46 AM »
Or you were just wrong again.

Let the silliness continue.

The word "again" implies that an event has occurred more than once.  Since being "wrong" has yet to happen (and isn't likely to) "again" is an impossibility.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 07:40:03 AM »
The word "again" implies that an event has occurred more than once.  Since being "wrong" has yet to happen (and isn't likely to) "again" is an impossibility.

Shall we re-visit your recruiting predictions circa spring '09?  The fail-phrase "you can't serve two masters" seems to ring some bells for me.

Wrongy McWrongerson.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 10:23:30 AM »
Shall we re-visit your recruiting predictions circa spring '09?  The fail-phrase "you can't serve two masters" seems to ring some bells for me.

Wrongy McWrongerson.

Revisit what you desire.  You will find nothing to validate your faulty memories.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions