Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Which Auburn RB will be the next Ben Tate?

Birmingham

Which Auburn RB will be the next Ben Tate?
« on: February 25, 2010, 06:36:46 PM »
and will it be in 2010?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:00:16 PM by Birmingham »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Re: What Auburnr RB will be the next Ben Tate?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 06:39:12 PM »
at least learn to spell correctly...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 07:00:47 PM »
Yeah, B'ham....it's University of Auburn.

IMO, there's not going to be the one RB this upcoming season.  It'll be shared by Mario, Ontarrio, Dyer and Dontae....throw in Newton, Eric Smith, Stallworth and Goodwin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Birmingham

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 07:02:55 PM »

My bad for misspelling Auburn.  Not intentional in the least.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 07:09:11 PM »
Yeah, B'ham....it's University of Auburn.

IMO, there's not going to be the one RB this upcoming season.  It'll be shared by Mario, Ontarrio, Dyer and Dontae....throw in Newton, Eric Smith, Stallworth and Goodwin.

8 running backs?  How many times do you anticipate running the ball per game?  At best case scenario, if there truly isn't a back that stands above the others, each back gets 5-7 touches a game?  I think there will be no more than 3 main backs that will split the touches somewhere around the splits of 15-10-10.  Toss on some touches here and there for a couple other guys.

I think the backs that are sharing those main touches will be:
1)  Mario
2)  Ontarrio
3)  Dyer
... in that order.

Just my opinion, certainly not worthy of placing in the gospel.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »
8 running backs?  How many times do you anticipate running the ball per game?  At best case scenario, if there truly isn't a back that stands above the others, each back gets 5-7 touches a game?  I think there will be no more than 3 main backs that will split the touches somewhere around the splits of 15-10-10.  Toss on some touches here and there for a couple other guys.

1)  Mario
2)  Ontarrio
3)  Dyer
... in that order.

Yes, those will be the main guys...but Newton will have designed runs, Eric Smith will carry the ball some, Dontae might see a couple of touches, as will Travante Stallworth and Antonio Goodwin (Reverses).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Which Auburn RB will be the next Ben Tate?
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »
and will it be in 2010?

Not sure, but we're rollin 5 deep at that spot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 10:36:28 PM »
Mike Ford.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 11:09:02 PM »
+2 to Boartiz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Birmingham

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 11:24:53 PM »

Honest question.  Would you take your 5 deep or Alabama's 3 deep of Ingram, Richardson and Lacy?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 01:05:38 AM »
None of the above because Tate shouldered so much of the load and managed to stay relatively healthy. I think it's rare to see that or expect that from those on hand with far fewer carries by comparison. We knew what we were going to get with Tate. A veteran OL should buy some time until we can consistently produce 150 + YPG.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 12:04:52 PM »

1)  Mario
2)  Ontarrio
3)  Dyer
... in that order.

I wrote some of this in a post a while back about the touches our top five rushers got last year.   It was 569 touches for Tate, McCalebb, Fannin, Smith, and Burns.

The breakdown last year was:

Tate: 283
McCalebb: 111
Fannin: 76
Burns: 61
Smith: 38

I would expect even a few more touches in 2010 since Malzahn will be trying to run even more plays per game.  I would also expect Kodi's carries to diminish greatly, as he's been described strictly as a "receiver" from now on.  The coaches say he "could" see some wild cat duties....which to me means he's probably done with that.

So you can mostly remove him from the rushing stats. However, I expect, if Newton does, in fact, start, that he will get maybe 25-30 designed runs for the year as well.  If we run 2 more plays per game, and half are to these guys, that's about 585 touches for the top five guys.  Take out 30 for Newton, and we're looking at 555 touches for Fannin, Smith, Aycock, McCalebb, and Dyer.

I'm guessing something like this....

Fannin - 190
Aycock - 130
Dyer - 85
Smith - 75
McCalebb - 75

That's just a guess of course and could very well be fluid throughout the year.  Fluid meaning, Dyer's touches could increase throughout the year, as Aycock's decrease.  Or Smith's could increase as McCalebb's decrease.  Who knows. But I think the overall breakdown won't be as weighted to one guy like they were last year with Tate getting almost exactly 50% of the total touches.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
Honest question.  Would you take your 5 deep or Alabama's 3 deep of Ingram, Richardson and Lacy?
For the offense Malzahn runs, I'll take the 5 that are on the Plains. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jadennis

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »
Honest question.  Would you take your 5 deep or Alabama's 3 deep of Ingram, Richardson and Lacy?

You can't really compare our five guys to your three guys.  Your three guys are all asked to do about the same thing.  Malzahn uses McCalebb and Smith in completely different ways in very different plays.  In fact, Smith and Fannin last year had almost a 50/50 split on catches and rushes.  Smith had 20 runs, 18 catches.  Fannin had 34 runs, 42 catches.

Both Ingram and Richardson had nearly a 10 to 1 run-to-catch ratio as for how Alabama got them the ball.  

Another way to show the difference is that Alabama's top 4 rushers last year got 567 touches....nearly the same as the 569 that Auburn's top 5 got.  If we remove both Tate and Ingram from those numbers, since they were used very much the same way and accounted for a similar number of the total touches, that leaves Alabama's other 3 guys with 264 touches, and Auburn's other 4 guys with 284 touches.  

However, of Alabama's 264 touches, only 31 were catches (about 11%).  

Of Auburn's 284 touches, 71 were catches (25%).

I like how Malzahn uses all these guys.  So to answer, I kind of like our 5 guys verses your 3 guys.  Most likely, the production will be very similar in the end, we'll just use 5 guys (in different ways) to get there instead of 3 guys (in nearly the same way) to get there.

Last year, those 4 Alabama guys accounted for 3,453 yards.  Auburn's 5 guys accounted for 3,334 yards.  That's within 3% of each other. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:23:45 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »
In short I think he is trying to say that it's exciting to talk about "young men" and "touches".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 01:23:24 PM »
I'm guessing something like this....

Fannin - 190
Aycock - 130
Dyer - 85
Smith - 75
McCalebb - 75

That's just a guess of course and could very well be fluid throughout the year.  Fluid meaning, Dyer's touches could increase throughout the year, as Aycock's decrease.  Or Smith's could increase as McCalebb's decrease.  Who knows. But I think the overall breakdown won't be as weighted to one guy like they were last year with Tate getting almost exactly 50% of the total touches.

If McCalebb is in his early season form, I will be disappointed if he only gets 5 or 6 touches per game...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 03:06:40 PM »
In short I think he is trying to say that it's exciting to talk about "young men" and "touches".

You said short touches...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 03:07:13 PM »
If McCalebb is in his early season form, I will be disappointed if he only gets 5 or 6 touches per game...

I'm torn about McCalebb.  It's hard to know how much of his problem was tha bum ankle and how much was the fact that once we got into  SEC play he just simply wasn't faster than everyone else.  I said after his first two games that I was a little worried because so many of his yards were gained because he simply out ran guys to the corner.  The concern was that once we played SEC defenses, he wouldn't be beating everyone  outside and running away from them.

think of it this way though.  If he's getting 75 touches, then some guys in front of him must really be producing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 03:15:49 PM »
I'm torn about McCalebb.  It's hard to know how much of his problem was tha bum ankle and how much was the fact that once we got into  SEC play he just simply wasn't faster than everyone else.  I said after his first two games that I was a little worried because so many of his yards were gained because he simply out ran guys to the corner.  The concern was that once we played SEC defenses, he wouldn't be beating everyone  outside and running away from them.

think of it this way though.  If he's getting 75 touches, then some guys in front of him must really be producing.

I think he was not getting to the corner in the SEC because he was hurt. The first couple of games, he looked a lot quicker with his cuts. When he got hurt, it didn't look like he could make anyone miss any more.

I still think he is a player that can make some one miss, and then take it to the house...every time he touches it...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 12:16:52 AM »
Tate
Fannin
McCalebb
Smith
Burns

Yards, how the hell am I suppose to know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions