Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Banks Want to Foreclose on You: Here's Why

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:26:19 PM »
This shit has me pissed today, even though I'm no victim.

by TX Unmuzzled
Digg this! Share this on Twitter - Banks Want to Foreclose on You: Here's WhyTweet this submit to reddit
Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 02:52:59 AM PST

What's sick is that unlike in the subprime debacle, the banks are having to work now at getting people into default. They're preying on their PRIME borrowers by jacking with their accounts and racking up fees, then stringing them along with their "workout" departments for months on end while the problems and distress compounds for the borrower. My clients tell the same story -- on the phone for literally hours at a time, being transferred from department to department and ending up back at the same department and nobody on the phone knows anything about the entire situation, and nobody is paid to help them.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/2/17/837819/-Banks-Want-to-Foreclose-on-You:-Heres-Why
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Banks Want to Foreclose on You: Here's Why
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 12:27:46 PM »
I have just about lost any credibility I had in this story when I saw it came from the daily KOS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 01:14:31 PM »
I have just about lost any credibility I had in this story when I saw it came from the daily KOS.

I don't normally read DailyKos, but this article was linked through the 26th most conservative site on the net, and I subscribe to it. The thing is the population is awake now and everybody's pissed. Left, Right and Middle we are all pissed off, and I am personally consistently in my representative's face on this. I"M PISSED, and they know it. I make sure they know, EVERY FUCKING DAY.

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:15:09 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 01:46:06 PM »
I don't normally read DailyKos, but this article was linked through the 26th most conservative site on the net, and I subscribe to it. The thing is the population is awake now and everybody's pissed. Left, Right and Middle we are all pissed off, and I am personally consistently in my representative's face on this. I"M PISSED, and they know it. I make sure they know, EVERY phukING DAY.

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com

Interesting...I will check it out. I am just shocked that the KOS showed this. They are out there.......
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 02:30:19 PM »
This shit has me pissed today, even though I'm no victim.

Citi strung me along for about 4-5 months on mine. Our loan was originally through a local Heritage Bank, and was on FHA. Then Citi bought the loan from Heritage. When my wife lost her job, we had enough in savings to cover a few months worth of mortgage, bills, etc. I've always been big on having at least 3 months worth of bills, living expenses, etc saved up just in case. When we burned through that, I called Citi to see if I could capitalize on one of the programs the government was offering to lenders. From the first call, all the way until the end, I was assured they would be able to help me out. I was one of the people way underwater in my mortgage, because I had bought my house for around $147k, and every house in the subdivision had since closed around $90k, thus absolutely killing my property value.

So anyway, I keep calling during the 4-5 months to check status, and at one point they said they wouldn't be able to help me on one certain program, but they were going to put me through another new program the government had made available to lenders. Ok, fine. They assured me that this second program would be the answer, and they could cut my mortgage AT LEAST in half. So, I wait a few more months and I call every few weeks checking the status as they instructed me to do. So finally, I get an answer. "Oh, well your loan is originally thru FHA, so you never qualified for any kind of assistance in the first place." So, then I asked if we could do a short sale, and they said no to that. Why? "Well, we're just not doing that at this time." Seriously, that was their answer.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:21:26 PM »
Citi strung me along for about 4-5 months on mine. Our loan was originally through a local Heritage Bank, and was on FHA. Then Citi bought the loan from Heritage. When my wife lost her job, we had enough in savings to cover a few months worth of mortgage, bills, etc. I've always been big on having at least 3 months worth of bills, living expenses, etc saved up just in case. When we burned through that, I called Citi to see if I could capitalize on one of the programs the government was offering to lenders. From the first call, all the way until the end, I was assured they would be able to help me out. I was one of the people way underwater in my mortgage, because I had bought my house for around $147k, and every house in the subdivision had since closed around $90k, thus absolutely killing my property value.

So anyway, I keep calling during the 4-5 months to check status, and at one point they said they wouldn't be able to help me on one certain program, but they were going to put me through another new program the government had made available to lenders. Ok, fine. They assured me that this second program would be the answer, and they could cut my mortgage AT LEAST in half. So, I wait a few more months and I call every few weeks checking the status as they instructed me to do. So finally, I get an answer. "Oh, well your loan is originally thru FHA, so you never qualified for any kind of assistance in the first place." So, then I asked if we could do a short sale, and they said no to that. Why? "Well, we're just not doing that at this time." Seriously, that was their answer.   

That sucks man, really does.

I'm starting to see the dirty side of these mega-banks.  I bought our current home a couple years ago.  The note was bought by Chase.  So for the last 20 months or so, I've had Chase automatically withdrawing my payment on the 9th of every month.

In January I closed on a refinancing, just to lower my rate and my payment a little.  I went through Quicken, who paid off the note at Chase.  I received a statement from Chase, showing the payoff, applying the funds, and showing a zero balance.  That was mid-January.  Come February 9th, bam, they took a payment out of my checking account again.  I was pissed, since at that time, I had no business with Chase, owed them nothing, etc. (I had actually already received the "Paid in full" letter from them).

So I call, I'm pissed, and what do they say?  "Oh, we apologize, we'll have a refund check in the mail in 20-25 days".  That dog didn't hunt, as my boss always likes to say.  So after 30 minutes on the phone, I got a lady to take my account number and routing number and tell me they would have it wired back in within 48 hours.  So three days later, it's not there yet. 

I call back and the new lady tells me they have to have an unaltered statement from Bank of America showing that it was taken out.  She acknowledged that she could see in her system that it was taken and not put back.  She couldn't really explain why I had to also show a statement that showed where they had essentially stolen money from me.

To my point....it occurred to me what they're doing.  Their whole system is automated.  The payment withdrawls, they late notifications....everything.  Everything is automated and set up in their system.  It only makes complete sense that the day balance of a loan is "zero" and it is marked as "paid in full", their automated system should automatically cease to withdraw future payments from the customers checking account.  Seems basic, and considering everything else their system does "automatically", would seem obvious and essential to completing what their system should do.

But think of this.  If they take my $1500, then give me the "we'll mail it out in a check refund, we apologize", then they get to sit on my money for 2 or 3 weeks.  Chase probably has, what? tens of thousands of loans?  many of which are being paid off for various reasons (refinance, selling, etc).  So if every loan that closes with them, they take one more payment, sit on it for 2-3 weeks, then that's millions, and millions of dollars they are churning constantly. 

For one, they could be making interest on that money, having it loaned out in various ways.  One simple way is something most giant banks do, which is to loan funds overnight to other large banks.  Banks have to maintain minimum and maximum amounts in certain types of accounts to fall within different federal reserve guidelines.  To maintain their proper levels, they lend out and borrow large amounts overnight from other banks.  I'm sure Chase knows exactly what they're doing by not having automatic withdraws stopped on time.  That's not complicated and would be easy to have in place and or correct.

But they're the big bank.  I'm just me.  What good does it do to yell at some lady (who likely isn't even in the US) about Chase banking policies and procedures.  It would take me going to 60 minutes or Dateline or something to get little things like that exposed.  So oh well, they stole my money and I wait for my "refund" check.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »
That sucks man, really does.

I'm starting to see the dirty side of these mega-banks.  I bought our current home a couple years ago.  The note was bought by Chase.  So for the last 20 months or so, I've had Chase automatically withdrawing my payment on the 9th of every month.

In January I closed on a refinancing, just to lower my rate and my payment a little.  I went through Quicken, who paid off the note at Chase.  I received a statement from Chase, showing the payoff, applying the funds, and showing a zero balance.  That was mid-January.  Come February 9th, bam, they took a payment out of my checking account again.  I was pissed, since at that time, I had no business with Chase, owed them nothing, etc. (I had actually already received the "Paid in full" letter from them).

So I call, I'm pissed, and what do they say?  "Oh, we apologize, we'll have a refund check in the mail in 20-25 days".  That dog didn't hunt, as my boss always likes to say.  So after 30 minutes on the phone, I got a lady to take my account number and routing number and tell me they would have it wired back in within 48 hours.  So three days later, it's not there yet.  

I call back and the new lady tells me they have to have an unaltered statement from Bank of America showing that it was taken out.  She acknowledged that she could see in her system that it was taken and not put back.  She couldn't really explain why I had to also show a statement that showed where they had essentially stolen money from me.

To my point....it occurred to me what they're doing.  Their whole system is automated.  The payment withdrawls, they late notifications....everything.  Everything is automated and set up in their system.  It only makes complete sense that the day balance of a loan is "zero" and it is marked as "paid in full", their automated system should automatically cease to withdraw future payments from the customers checking account.  Seems basic, and considering everything else their system does "automatically", would seem obvious and essential to completing what their system should do.

But think of this.  If they take my $1500, then give me the "we'll mail it out in a check refund, we apologize", then they get to sit on my money for 2 or 3 weeks.  Chase probably has, what? tens of thousands of loans?  many of which are being paid off for various reasons (refinance, selling, etc).  So if every loan that closes with them, they take one more payment, sit on it for 2-3 weeks, then that's millions, and millions of dollars they are churning constantly.  

For one, they could be making interest on that money, having it loaned out in various ways.  One simple way is something most giant banks do, which is to loan funds overnight to other large banks.  Banks have to maintain minimum and maximum amounts in certain types of accounts to fall within different federal reserve guidelines.  To maintain their proper levels, they lend out and borrow large amounts overnight from other banks.  I'm sure Chase knows exactly what they're doing by not having automatic withdraws stopped on time.  That's not complicated and would be easy to have in place and or correct.

But they're the big bank.  I'm just me.  What good does it do to yell at some lady (who likely isn't even in the US) about Chase banking policies and procedures.  It would take me going to 60 minutes or Dateline or something to get little things like that exposed.  So oh well, they stole my money and I wait for my "refund" check.
Yeah, that "automated system" shit is pretty interesting. The whole time I'm waiting for the bank to help me out, as they have assured me they can do, I keep getting notices in the mail saying that if I don't make my account current, they will foreclose, etc etc. The people I talk to every time I get a notice assure me this is just part of the automated system, I should ignore them and simply keep checking in with them on the status of my assistance application.

In the meantime, I was paying basically half of my mortgage payment every month. Sometimes I would send some more money in the middle of the month if I was able to do so. I was told if I was at least paying something during the time I was waiting on my assistance acceptance, that would show favorably on me as far as my application, and they would be able to better work with me. Which was fine, I mean, I never intended to just fuck them over in the first place. I decided that since my wife has a 3 year old car that was paid for, and my parents had a 5 year old car they offered to give me, that I would let my car go since it was $533/month. I need a roof over my head for my family more than I needed my car. Which, as a sidenote, I highly recommend using Chrysler Financial when buying a Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler vehicle. EXTREMELY nice and understanding people, and the only good experience I have had with this whole debacle. When these folks said they would work with me, they meant it, and I certainly appreciated it.

Anyway, so I notice the money I am sending isn't changing anything except for every other month or so. Unless you are paying the entire payment, the fraction of the entire payment sits in unapplied funds until you have enough built up to make a full payment. So my money sits there, the late fees pile up, and they make interest off of my "unapplied funds". Somebody must have "made a mistake" and told me incorrect information.

Oh, something else I noticed. I claimed the first time homebuyer credit on my 2008 return. I understood I would have to pay back $500 every year when I filed my taxes. Basically what the credit amounts to is a 10 year interest free loan. So, the other week, I did my taxes for 2009. I put that I had claimed the credit in 2008, as I should, and claimed the house as foreclosed. When you do your taxes, you claim this as a sale. Due to being underwater on my loan so close to it being purchased, I technically took a loss on the "sale", and I will not have to pay back that $7500. Ever. If alot of other folks run into the same situation I did, and they claimed this credit, the government is going to lose out on a shitload of money.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 09:17:35 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

jadennis

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 10:56:06 AM »
......I technically took a loss on the "sale", and I will not have to pay back that $7500. Ever. If alot of other folks run into the same situation I did, and they claimed this credit, the government is going to lose out on a poopload of money.

Don't worry about that, we budgeted for it.  Sure, it's part of a trillion dollar deficit budget, but they figured it in there so it won't mess up their accounting.  Besides, China will lend us the money to cover.   :sad:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 12:17:46 PM »
Don't worry about that, we budgeted for it.  Sure, it's part of a trillion dollar deficit budget, but they figured it in there so it won't mess up their accounting.  Besides, China will lend us the money to cover.   :sad:

Can't we just print some more and make everything ok?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 05:37:12 PM »
...If alot of other folks run into the same situation I did, and they claimed this credit, the government other taxpayers are going to lose out on pay a shitload of money.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 09:11:26 AM »
Can't we just print some more and make everything ok?

Can't you tell that inflating the money supply in a fake manner is working?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 09:39:40 AM »

How silly of me.  We are now working our way into the euro-trash utopia.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 05:53:40 PM »

I sure can.  Things are looking better everyday b/c that is what Obama said and since he is the messiah and all.......well you just got to believe everything he says.   :sad:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan