Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Staff Raises

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Staff Raises
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »
I think this is pretty much what I said in my post.  Why did no one attack me?   :sneer:
I was prepared to quote your post instead, until I saw Eeyore's typical unfounded negativity.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »
There you go again. Your typical formula for a flawed argument has worn thin.
Wrong. Falsehood.

From this past November:
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/5829/usa-today-report-assistant-coaches-salaries

Don't let facts stop you from pulling things out of your ass, though.

Now that the false premise is out of the way, you also use the ol' classic of holding a different standard to different parts of the argument.

The assistants are already the highest paid in the SEC? We've already established that you pulled that out of your ass. However, let's humor you. So you're insisting their wages be comparable to others in the SEC. But you want to compare Chizik's salary to that which he made at ISU?

How comparing him to other coaches in the SEC?

1.  Urban Meyer, Florida — $4,000,000

2.  Nick Saban, Alabama — $3,900,000

3.  Les Miles, LSU — $3,800,000

4t.  Bobby Petrino, Arkansas — $2,900,000

4t.  Mark Richt, Georgia — $2,900,000

6.  Houston Nutt, Ole Miss — $2,500,000

7.  Derek Dooley, Tennessee — $2,200,000

8.  Gene Chizik, Auburn — $2,100,000 (after this week's raise)

9.  Steve Spurrier, South Carolina — $1,800,000

10.  Rich Brooks, Kentucky — $1,250,000

11.  Dan Mullen, Mississippi State — $1,200,000

12.  Bobby Johnson, Vanderbilt — Undisclosed (Private Institution)

So roughly half of what the big dogs, including our in-state rival, are making. Only ahead of South Carolina, Kentucky, Mississippi State, and presumably Vanderbilt. That's fine if you want their kind of production on the field.
Just to keep things in perspective, the top 3 coaches (or "big dogs") have won at least 1 NC in the past few years. The deal with Chizik is they hired him at a bargain price. He failed miserably at ISU, and AU wasn't all that sure what they were getting. Even if they had to can him after two years, AU could do it relatively cheap. Basically his raise is putting him at a hiring rate.

Really, Chizik didn't do much in '09. AU won one game (WVU) that they probably shouldn't have, and lost a few (UK, Arky?, UGA) that they shouldn't have, lost to LSU in an embarrasing fashion, and showed a valiant effort against Alabama. Then there was the near embarassment of losing to Northwestern in a bowl game.

Something that is interesting, though, is $500k for Malzahn. I mean....really?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:07:36 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 01:30:13 PM »
Just to keep things in perspective, the top 3 coaches (or "big dogs") have won at least 1 NC in the past few years. The deal with Chizik is they hired him at a bargain price. He failed miserably at ISU, and AU wasn't all that sure what they were getting. Even if they had to can him after two years, AU could do it relatively cheap. Basically his raise is putting him at a hiring rate.
I'm with you so far. This is what I was trying to say. Giving Chizik a $200,000 bump just puts him over the 2 mil mark, which is pretty much entry level for an SEC had coach. I'd be right there with THS & Kaos if we were bumping him in the 4 mil ballpark. But that's simply not the case. He's proven his weight at least as a not complete and utter fuck-up to all but the hard-headed few.

Really, Chizik didn't do much in '09. AU won one game (WVU) that they probably shouldn't have, and lost a few (UK, Arky?, UGA) that they shouldn't have, lost to LSU in an embarrasing fashion, and showed a valiant effort against Alabama. Then there was the near embarassment of losing to Northwestern in a bowl game.
I mean, this is the same dead horse that was beaten all season so there's not much reason to go too far into it, because I know the discussion will go nowhere. But I think the only truly embarassing loss there was UK, and maybe LSU just because it was so bad. Northwestern was not a joke no matter how bammers try to stretch that. Comparable at least to 08 Utah. At least we didn't actually lose to them. As bad as Kentucky was it was no LaMonroe.

It's upper echelon, no doubt, but not out of this world. Not Monte Kiffin's 1.2 mil last year. But he's certainly one of the most coveted OC in the conference, if not the most. It will take that kind of money to draw him away from the mil plus to be a HC somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:47:00 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 01:40:58 PM »

You think that's too much?  

Chavis gets $700k at LSU.
Smart get $750k+ at Alabama.
Orgeron was getting $650k at Tennessee as the D-line coach.
Crowton at LSU makes $400k (and sucks)
Grantham at Georgia makes $750k
Joe Pendry made over $400k with bonuses ($390k salary) as the o-line coach.
Nick Holt at Washington gets $650k
Jimbo Fisher was getting $675k at FSU
Ellis Johnson at S. Carolina makes $700k

Considering his value to the program right now (on field and definitely his influence on recruiting), I think $500k is a bargain by today's standards.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 02:32:29 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 01:50:08 PM »
blah, blah, blah

Coach Malzahn did more in his first year, than just about any OC at Auburn has done.  So, why not give him a big raise?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 01:55:16 PM »
Babble, babble, babble. 

Earn it.  Then pay it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 02:01:40 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 02:06:37 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 02:09:02 PM »
http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2010/02/gene_chiziks_pay_raise_from_au.html
Chizik and his nine assistant coaches are set to make $4,131,000 this year.
So once Saban gets his inevitable raise to surpass Meyer, his salary alone will likely be more than our ENTIRE STAFF INCLUDING HEAD COACH.

Chizik's contract says "salary increases and terms for the extension . . . will be determined at University's discretion . . .'' Former head coach Tommy Tuberville had specific $200,000-a-year pay increases written in his contract.
I think he earned his 2Gs this year more than Tuberville would have the year before.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2010, 03:05:31 PM »
Considering his value to the program right now (on field and definitely his influence on recruiting), I think $500k is a bargain by today's standards.
This! I would have to say that 500k is well worth even only a years worth of Malzahn influence.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2010, 07:52:26 PM »
Considering the state of the program post Tubs and the negative forecast surrounding Chiz, the results warrant attractive raises to keep the momentum in Auburn's favor. It was headed downhill fast. Those thoughts are now disappearing. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2010, 08:27:06 PM »
Northwestern was not a joke no matter how bammers try to stretch that. Comparable at least to 08 Utah. At least we didn't actually lose to them. As bad as Kentucky was it was no LaMonroe.
Bull-fucking-shit, and you know it. Utah was undefeated, and they were in a BCS bowl. Should we have lost to them? No. But at least you can surmise they have to be halfway decent to be undefeated and in a BCS bowl. Did we not hear how Alabama was soooo lucky they weren't playing TCU for the NC? Utah and ULM me all you want. That NC takes away the sting. Do you think Chizik will have AU competing for a spot in the NC game this year? Winning it his 3rd year?

Northwestern is a directional school for fucks sake, and they were 8-4. I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing exactly how they should be able to match AU to make that a fair fight, or how that can be compared to Utah. 

It's upper echelon, no doubt, but not out of this world. Not Monte Kiffin's 1.2 mil last year. But he's certainly one of the most coveted OC in the conference, if not the most. It will take that kind of money to draw him away from the mil plus to be a HC somewhere.
Monte Kiffin was making $1.2 last year because, well, he basically was the HC. And where exactly do you get this "one of the most coveted OC in the conference, if not the most" notion from? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's a totally useless OC at all. I'm simply wondering how, after a few of the showings this past season, he has vaulted to the top of the SEC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2010, 10:50:55 PM »

Better than amber lamps held aloft by corches giving the pickle surprise to Rick Astley.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2010, 11:36:11 PM »
Bull-phuking-poop, and you know it. Utah was undefeated, and they were in a BCS bowl. Should we have lost to them? No. But at least you can surmise they have to be halfway decent to be undefeated and in a BCS bowl. Did we not hear how Alabama was soooo lucky they weren't playing TCU for the NC? Utah and ULM me all you want. That NC takes away the sting. Do you think Chizik will have AU competing for a spot in the NC game this year? Winning it his 3rd year?

Northwestern is a directional school for phuks sake, and they were 8-4. I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing exactly how they should be able to match AU to make that a fair fight, or how that can be compared to Utah. 
Monte Kiffin was making $1.2 last year because, well, he basically was the HC. And where exactly do you get this "one of the most coveted OC in the conference, if not the most" notion from? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's a totally useless OC at all. I'm simply wondering how, after a few of the showings this past season, he has vaulted to the top of the SEC.

:taunt:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 03:09:03 AM »

This is where you lose me.  

Other than Finebaum's attempt to derail recruiting by floating a Louisiana Tech rumor, what coveting is there?  

It's my estimation -- and in talking to people in the business -- most of the SEC (as well as the other major conferences) are not nearly as sold on Malzahn as some of you are.  There are still questions, there's still the often quoted "just a few years out of high school" line and there's still a sense that he's got a little charlatan in him -- that his "scheme" won't work here, there or anywhere in the long term.  Is some (maybe a lot) of that misguided?  Probably.  

But to say "most coveted" is simply not true.  Maybe to you but you dont' count.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2010, 03:12:35 AM »

Such a fucking idiot. 

There's nothing gloom or doom whatsoever about thinking that raises and extensions for a coaching staff might be premature. 

Typical of Jacobs, however.  Lebo will get a raise and extension tomorrow for beating Arkansas today.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 06:53:51 AM »
Better than amber lamps held aloft by corches giving the pickle surprise to Rick Astley.
I am a motherfucker.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Aubie16

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 08:22:08 AM »
Northwestern is a directional school for fucks sake

:rolleyes:

You lost all credibility right there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010

RWS

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2010, 09:16:33 AM »
:rolleyes:

You lost all credibility right there.
Redundant, I know, however the point still stands. They're not the worst school in the history of NCAA football or anything, but to try and pump them up such as some of you tried to pump up La Tech is bullshit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2010, 09:32:16 AM »
but to try and pump them up such as some of you tried to pump up La Tech is bullshit.

Big X > Sunbelt
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.