Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A common sense fix for the "Mortgage Crisis"

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
A common sense fix for the "Mortgage Crisis"
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:49:23 PM »
How about not giving mortgages to people with below 580 FICO scores?

FHA loans get dramatically costlier
Homebuyers with credit scores below 580 now need 10% down, not 3.5%, and all buyers will pay more insurance upfront.

[Related content: mortgage, loans, credit, insurance, refinance]
By Marilyn Lewis
The Federal Housing Administration changed the rules for home borrowers Wednesday morning.

Along with tightening requirements for buyers, the FHA is cracking down on unscrupulous lenders who Commissioner David Stevens implies are responsible for the agency's growing defaults and shrinking reserves. The agency -- which is growing to become the lender of choice for buyers without sterling credit or 20% down -- has written too many risky loans and now is retrenching.

"Not everybody should own a home," Stevens told reporters on a conference call Wednesday.

Ready to tap your home equity?
The FHA is a government insurance company that backs mortgages and refinance loans for lenders that follow its guidelines. Last year the FHA insured 1.9 million loans, about 30% of the overall market, up from 1.1 million in 2008.

More from MSN Money
Mortgage terms now in plain English
Raise your credit score to 740
Calculate your credit scores in seconds
10 tips on mortgages for 2010
Some mortgage rates are under 5%

The New York Times reported that in late December, the FHA was insuring 5.8 million single-family homes -- a total of $750 billion in loans. This is more than half a million of which were "seriously delinquent and heading toward foreclosure."

The FHA's changes were made after an actuarial study took apart the agency's loan books to see where the most money is being lost.

FHA Ups Mortgage Deposits
Go to CNBC
The biggest change: Starting in spring -- no date was given -- borrowers will have to pay more upfront to get a loan, at least for a while. The FHA is raising its upfront mortgage insurance premium from 1.75% to 2.25% of the loan amount. (Homebuyers pay for FHA insurance in two ways: through a one-time upfront premium and through monthly insurance payments.)

Today, on a $250,000 loan, you'd pay $4,375, or 1.75%, at closing. With the increase, your upfront payment would go to $5,625 -- an increase of $1,250.

At the same time, the FHA will ask Congress to raise the lid on the amount it can charge for annual premiums. Right now, the premiums can't be more than 0.55%, or $1,375 a year, broken into monthly installments, for a $250,000 loan.

The right loan for you
Ultimately, the idea is to raise the cost of yearly payments and drop the upfront costs back down. But for the moment, the upfront amount is going to grow.

Two other big changes, starting sometime in early summer, are coming as well:

Homebuyers will need minimum 580 FICO scores to get loans with only 3.5% down. Borrowers with lower scores will need minimum down payments of 10%. Stevens, the FHA commissioner, said at a news conference Wednesday morning that the FHA's numbers show most defaults are by borrowers with credit scores of 580 or below. (WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK) Seller "concessions" will be reduced from 6% to 3%. Sellers who really want a sale to go through aren't allowed to help buyers with their down payments. But they can, in effect, reduce a home's price by kicking in money to cover closing costs and upgrades to the home. The practice lets sellers keep their prices higher while allowing buyers to finance expenses like closing costs and home improvements. "The current level exposes the FHA to excess risk by creating incentives to inflate appraised value," said Stevens.
Stevens repeatedly stressed that he's going after "outlier" lenders largely responsible for the FHA's losses. While "the vast majority of lenders" participate within FHA guidelines, he's focused on identifying and eliminating "rogue" lenders whose laxness has driven the agency's losses:

Stevens is planning more-intense monitoring of lenders, including publicly reporting lender performance rankings on the FHA Web site.
FHA wants congressional approval to clamp down even further, holding lenders liable if they underwrite loans violating FHA policies and standards. "This would require all approved mortgagees to assume liability for all of the loans that they originate and underwrite," Stevens said.
The Department of Housing and Urban Development, the FHA's parent agency, will also ask Congress for authority to drop lenders from FHA programs when they violate FHA standards at regional offices. Right now, lenders can break FHA rules in one region and then, when they're shut out locally, move operations to another region.
The changes are necessary, Stevens said, because loan defaults have created losses and shrunk the FHA's reserves below required levels. The problem would right itself by 2013 without intervention, he said, but the proposed changes should bring the reserves back into line in the next fiscal year.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:50:42 PM by AUTailgatingRules »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

Re: A common sense fix for the "Mortgage Crisis"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 03:03:22 PM »
How about not giving mortgages to people with below 580 FICO scores?

FHA loans get dramatically costlier
Homebuyers with credit scores below 580 now need 10% down, not 3.5%, and all buyers will pay more insurance upfront.

[Related content: mortgage, loans, credit, insurance, refinance]
By Marilyn Lewis
The Federal Housing Administration changed the rules for home borrowers Wednesday morning.

Along with tightening requirements for buyers, the FHA is cracking down on unscrupulous lenders who Commissioner David Stevens implies are responsible for the agency's growing defaults and shrinking reserves. The agency -- which is growing to become the lender of choice for buyers without sterling credit or 20% down -- has written too many risky loans and now is retrenching.

"Not everybody should own a home," Stevens told reporters on a conference call Wednesday.

Ready to tap your home equity?
The FHA is a government insurance company that backs mortgages and refinance loans for lenders that follow its guidelines. Last year the FHA insured 1.9 million loans, about 30% of the overall market, up from 1.1 million in 2008.

More from MSN Money
Mortgage terms now in plain English
Raise your credit score to 740
Calculate your credit scores in seconds
10 tips on mortgages for 2010
Some mortgage rates are under 5%

The New York Times reported that in late December, the FHA was insuring 5.8 million single-family homes -- a total of $750 billion in loans. This is more than half a million of which were "seriously delinquent and heading toward foreclosure."

The FHA's changes were made after an actuarial study took apart the agency's loan books to see where the most money is being lost.

FHA Ups Mortgage Deposits
Go to CNBC
The biggest change: Starting in spring -- no date was given -- borrowers will have to pay more upfront to get a loan, at least for a while. The FHA is raising its upfront mortgage insurance premium from 1.75% to 2.25% of the loan amount. (Homebuyers pay for FHA insurance in two ways: through a one-time upfront premium and through monthly insurance payments.)

Today, on a $250,000 loan, you'd pay $4,375, or 1.75%, at closing. With the increase, your upfront payment would go to $5,625 -- an increase of $1,250.

At the same time, the FHA will ask Congress to raise the lid on the amount it can charge for annual premiums. Right now, the premiums can't be more than 0.55%, or $1,375 a year, broken into monthly installments, for a $250,000 loan.

The right loan for you
Ultimately, the idea is to raise the cost of yearly payments and drop the upfront costs back down. But for the moment, the upfront amount is going to grow.

Two other big changes, starting sometime in early summer, are coming as well:

Homebuyers will need minimum 580 FICO scores to get loans with only 3.5% down. Borrowers with lower scores will need minimum down payments of 10%. Stevens, the FHA commissioner, said at a news conference Wednesday morning that the FHA's numbers show most defaults are by borrowers with credit scores of 580 or below. (WELL NO poop SHERLOCK) Seller "concessions" will be reduced from 6% to 3%. Sellers who really want a sale to go through aren't allowed to help buyers with their down payments. But they can, in effect, reduce a home's price by kicking in money to cover closing costs and upgrades to the home. The practice lets sellers keep their prices higher while allowing buyers to finance expenses like closing costs and home improvements. "The current level exposes the FHA to excess risk by creating incentives to inflate appraised value," said Stevens.
Stevens repeatedly stressed that he's going after "outlier" lenders largely responsible for the FHA's losses. While "the vast majority of lenders" participate within FHA guidelines, he's focused on identifying and eliminating "rogue" lenders whose laxness has driven the agency's losses:

Stevens is planning more-intense monitoring of lenders, including publicly reporting lender performance rankings on the FHA Web site.
FHA wants congressional approval to clamp down even further, holding lenders liable if they underwrite loans violating FHA policies and standards. "This would require all approved mortgagees to assume liability for all of the loans that they originate and underwrite," Stevens said.
The Department of Housing and Urban Development, the FHA's parent agency, will also ask Congress for authority to drop lenders from FHA programs when they violate FHA standards at regional offices. Right now, lenders can break FHA rules in one region and then, when they're shut out locally, move operations to another region.
The changes are necessary, Stevens said, because loan defaults have created losses and shrunk the FHA's reserves below required levels. The problem would right itself by 2013 without intervention, he said, but the proposed changes should bring the reserves back into line in the next fiscal year.

Barney Frank thinkth you're sthupid.

After all, why should someone that can't afford a home not be able to have one?  Why should someone not remotely financially responsible not be loaned hundreds of thousands of dollars?  That's just mean.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 09:53:52 AM »
Barney Frank thinkth you're sthupid.

After all, why should someone that can't afford a home not be able to have one?  Why should someone not remotely financially responsible not be loaned hundreds of thousands of dollars?  That's just mean.
And thats probably why, for the most part probably, we are in the situation we are in now. But then again, right now, you have alot of homes being foreclosed on because of job losses as well. We had an FHA loan on our house and when the market tanked, things like manufacturing tanked, and my wife (a CFO at a manufacturing company) lost her job. My credit alone was good enough to get the loan on the house, and we certainly had the income to back it up, plus some. We didn't even have to put anything down on the house. However, as the market tanked, so did home values.

I lived in a subdivision, and when everything went south in the economy, the value of all of the houses in the subdivision plummeted. My house was apparaised for around $189k when I bought it for $139k. Five months after I closed, the same house was closing in our subdivision for $89k. These houses were only 2 years old. That doesn't make the mortgage company want to work with you either. At least I feel that I wasn't one of the ones that never should have jumped into something I couldn't afford. The folks that knew they never should have done it do piss me off though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 12:04:27 PM »
The whole "FICO score" thing is bullshit.  Total bullshit. 

I hate to sound like Dave Ramsey, here, but that's the biggest racket I've ever seen. 

Over the last few years I've been fortunate enough to be in a position to eliminate most of my credit. All my vehicles are paid for, I don't have any credit card debt and I don't have any loans -- business or personal. 

I closed some credit accounts, but left others open.  When the credit card "crisis" hit the news last Christmas, a couple of cards I had paid off reduced my limit.  That pissed me off, so I just canceled them. 

You would think that paying off your bills, never being late on anything that I can remember in the last 20 years and having a mortgage would give you a great score. 

Since paying off my cards, loans and cards (with the exception of the mortgage) my FICO score is fucking LOWER than it was when I had more debt.  How fucking stupid is that? 

My people are telling me I need to borrow money that I DON'T FUCKING NEED in order to keep it from getting even worse.  That's totally fucked up.  Completely and totally fucked in the ass. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 01:07:34 PM »

I hate to sound like Dave Ramsey, here, but that's the biggest racket I've ever seen. 

Over the last few years I've been fortunate enough to be in a position to eliminate most of my credit. All my vehicles are paid for, I don't have any credit card debt and I don't have any loans -- business or personal. 

I closed some credit accounts, but left others open.  When the credit card "crisis" hit the news last Christmas, a couple of cards I had paid off reduced my limit.  That pissed me off, so I just canceled them. 

You would think that paying off your bills, never being late on anything that I can remember in the last 20 years and having a mortgage would give you a great score. 

Since paying off my cards, loans and cards (with the exception of the mortgage) my FICO score is fucking LOWER than it was when I had more debt.  How fucking stupid is that? 

My people are telling me I need to borrow money that I DON'T FUCKING NEED in order to keep it from getting even worse.  That's totally fucked up.  Completely and totally fucked in the ass. 

I know that type of activity lowers your score. I say stand your ground. The way this shit works is if you aren't in debt or have the potential to be in debt (higher credit limits on credit cards which is reduced once you cancel the card) then they can force a higher interest rate on you because you didn't play their game. I can't stress enough to stay out of debt. Had you not canceled the cards you could have kept your score up by just making a purchase once every three to six months and paying it off. I have no credits cards at all. And, I have no need for loans, credit cards or mortgage, therefore I have no need for high FICA score. The kind of emergency that would come up where I would have the have a lot of credit is not one I want to go into debt for period. Fuck the banks, I use a local credit union and bash the big banks on Wall Street regularly.

Here: Go to the "Just Fans"

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Goldman-Sachs/6023516099?ref=search&sid=653704972.2824267656..1&v=wall

Then there are Jeff Sessions and Jo Bonner pages, I hit them too.

Fuck all those filthy rich motherfuckers, they deserve each other and THEIR DEBT. Not mine. I ain't payin' for their shit no more. FUCK 'EM.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 01:37:02 PM »

Same thing here. I had two CC's and a small personal loan years ago, and paid them off. I canceled the CC's so I wouldn't use them again. I assumed this would actually help me because I showed I was responsible enough to pay them off and I was never late. My credit score initially went up for paying the cards and loan off, and the loan had a revolving limit. The only thing I had then was a new vehicle loan. Then after a few months it went down because I didn't retain the ability to put myself into debt. Incredibly stupid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 01:48:41 PM »
Same thing here. I had two CC's and a small personal loan years ago, and paid them off. I canceled the CC's so I wouldn't use them again. I assumed this would actually help me because I showed I was responsible enough to pay them off and I was never late. My credit score initially went up for paying the cards and loan off, and the loan had a revolving limit. The only thing I had then was a new vehicle loan. Then after a few months it went down because I didn't retain the ability to put myself into debt. Incredibly stupid.

What pisses me off the most about this is that should I decide to buy a new car I will be penalized by a higher interest rate because I have chosen to live within my means (somewhat). 

Meanwhile a guy who just barely stays afloat will get a better rate than I would. 

It's completely backward bullshit and makes no sense whatsoever.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 07:56:28 AM »
What pisses me off the most about this is that should I decide to buy a new car I will be penalized by a higher interest rate because I have chosen to live within my means (somewhat). 

Meanwhile a guy who just barely stays afloat will get a better rate than I would. 

It's completely backward bullshit and makes no sense whatsoever.

I will help storm the gates with you on this subject.  While we are at it can we only have one credit score fucking us?  Do we really need two more companies that report all the same information a slightly different way?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 10:05:09 AM »
I agree with just about all of your comments...  Here's my workaround. 

1. Never spend more than you earn.  "Act your wage..." as someone like to say.
2. Keep and use a "free" credit card for the majority of your purchases and pay the credit card off every month.  Even though the banks don't like you for not carrying a balance that they can charge interest on, they have to report that you pay on time.  They'll continue to up your limit, and your credit score will improve greatly.  (I also suspect that the "paid in full" every month does something to bump your score, as I have a nearly perfect score with all three agencies.  I never carry a balance.) 
3. Don't ever use a debit card!  You do NOT have the same protections as with a typical credit card.  If someone gets your card, they can clean out your account, and you don't have very much recourse.  Your bank may refund some of the stolen money, but their obligations are far less than those of a standard credit card company.  It could also take you months to clear up.  (Few seem to know about this little gap until they get burned, and when they get burned, it really hurts.) 

I generally agree with Ramsey, but you do need to maintain a reasonable credit score in the "real" world.  This is especially true if you ever want to purchase a home with a respectable mortgage rate. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 10:14:06 AM »

3. Don't ever use a debit card!  You do NOT have the same protections as with a typical credit card.  If someone gets your card, they can clean out your account, and you don't have very much recourse.  Your bank may refund some of the stolen money, but their obligations are far less than those of a standard credit card company.  It could also take you months to clear up.  (Few seem to know about this little gap until they get burned, and when they get burned, it really hurts.) 

Actually there is a work around here as well.  All debit cards that are linked to an account (ie not prepaid cards) can be run as credit cards in lieu of a debit card.  merchants like to run as a debit because it usually does not cost them as high of a percentage.  Once you run it as a credit card you have all the rights that a normal credit card has with Visa backing it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

RWS

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 01:40:30 PM »

Actually there is a work around here as well.  All debit cards that are linked to an account (ie not prepaid cards) can be run as credit cards in lieu of a debit card.  merchants like to run as a debit because it usually does not cost them as high of a percentage.  Once you run it as a credit card you have all the rights that a normal credit card has with Visa backing it. 
I use my debit card for virtually everything. The only time I use a check is to pay child support. If I'm making a larger purchase I will run it as credit, though. I never use cash either, unless I'm somewhere weird that only accepts cash or something. Cash and checks can be stolen and used freely. At least if somebody steals my Visa debit card, they will have to know my PIN to use it as debit. They would have to run everything as credit, and then I would be protected by Visa anyways. Its a win-win situation, I think.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 02:21:18 PM »
These last two posts speak the truth.

We made an online purchase of some shoes a couple of Saturdays ago.  The next week, I see that our account hasn't been charged yet and the shoes haven't arrived yet.  I call the company, and apparently their website "crashed" on the Saturday we ordered the shoes, and everyone who ordered the shoes from that website on that Saturday found that their orders weren't processed nor would they receive the shoes unless they re-order through the website.

Then, I'm checking our bank account two Mondays later and there is a purchase with our check card for some Italian furniture (from a store in Italy, I googled what I saw in our account) in excess of $3600...which wasn't made by anyone in our house.  I call the shoe company back and this time they admit that when their website crashed, there were some "security issues" that caused them to "upgrade and change our security encryption when customers order online".  It didn't take long for me to put 2 and 2 together to determine that some jackass hacked this shoe site and swiped my debit card #, along with everyone else's that placed an order that day.

I go down to a Regions branch and because it was a credit card purchase made with my VISA debit card, they agree to refund the full amount, plus any overdraft fees that occured because of the purchase.  I just had to fill out one of those fraud forms to fax in to the main Regions office.  I wish there was a way to catch those bastards, but there was nothing we could do...hell, even the Italian furniture store didn't have a phone number to call.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 05:20:20 PM »

I wonder how this impacts your credit score...  Anyway, I also use one of those rewards cards where I receive Delta Skymiles.  The card isn't free, but the amount that I spend on the card and receive in rewards is more than worth the annual fee. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 07:22:49 AM »
I wonder how this impacts your credit score...  Anyway, I also use one of those rewards cards where I receive Delta Skymiles.  The card isn't free, but the amount that I spend on the card and receive in rewards is more than worth the annual fee. 

It fucks you from the credit reporting side.  I was just referencing the protection aspect of it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions