Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

If we land Lattimore...

jadennis

Re: If we land Lattimore...
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 04:39:46 PM »
Another "if we land Lattimore" question...does it guarantee anything?  Well, of course not, you just never know who will turn out to be what.

However, looking back to 2002, here are all twenty 5-star running backs.  If you're a college football fan, you'll recognize nearly every name.

Ciatrick Fason
Gerald Riggs Jr
Jarious Norwood

Reggie Bush
Kregg Lumpkin
Demetrius Summers

Adrian Peterson

Jonathan Stewart
Marlon Lucky
Jason Gwaltney
Kevin Grady

Chris "Beanie" Wells
Stafon Johnson

Marc Tyler
Joe McNight

Jermie Calhoun
Darrell Scott

Christine Michael
Trent Richardson
Bryce Brown

A few had injuries that slowed them (Marc Tyler, Kregg Lumpkin, Kevin Grady), a couple were trouble guys and got kicked off their teams (Demetrius Summers, Jason Gwaltney), the USC guys shared time with 27 other 5-star running backs, and Darrell Scott was kind of a dud.

But aside from injuries and troubled kids, most of these guys contributed to their teams to varying degrees...anywhere from being among the leading rushers in their conference (Marlon Lucky, Gerald Riggs Jr, Joe McNight, Jerious Norwood, Ciatrick Fason) to being among the best in the country (Adrian Peterson, Reggie Bush, Beanie Wells, Jonathan Stewart).  Then there are a few that seem destined to be notable as well (and already are to some extent), such as Brown, Richardson, Michael, and Calhoun.

If you subtract the injured and wayward, then both Dyer and Lattimore each has about an 87% chance of being a significant contributor to Auburn.  Each guy also has about a 26% chance of being among the best in the country.  

If we factor in the injured players (because that can happen to anyone), they each have a 72% chance of being significant contributors (among the league leaders), and a 22% chance of being among the nation's elite.

Of course, a sample size of only 20 guys isn't much, so who knows, one could be a dud and the other could have nagging injuries their whole career...it happens.  But I would say that of the 20 guys named 5-star running backs the last 8 years, the group as a whole have had a pretty darn good showing.  

In fact, subtracting the injured and wayward again, every guy on this list that isn't still in school has spent at least some time on an NFL roster.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:44:39 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Token

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 04:43:16 PM »
I don't see Mike Ford's name. That bitch was a 5 star in three straight Alabama classes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 05:02:33 PM »
I don't see Mike Ford's name. That bitch was a 5 star in three straight Alabama classes.

He was a 4-star coming out of high school, 5-star after going to Hargrave Military.  This was only from the high school list. 

He'll be a 24 year old senior next year at South Florida.  So far he's carried it 331 times for 1500 yards, but never more than 650 yards in any one year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »

He was the prize of Bryant's last recruiting class.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Token

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 05:49:38 PM »
He was a 4-star coming out of high school, 5-star after going to Hargrave Military.  This was only from the high school list. 

He'll be a 24 year old senior next year at South Florida.  So far he's carried it 331 times for 1500 yards, but never more than 650 yards in any one year. 

It was a rhetorical question, Farley.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 05:54:58 PM »
It was a rhetorical question, Farley.

You actually didn't ask a question of any kind, I just thought I'd look him up and share the findings.  we had a Mike Ford...we called him Raven Gray....turns out he had the knees of an 80 year old man.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:55:44 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »
You actually didn't ask a question of any kind, I just thought I'd look him up and share the findings.  we had a Mike Ford...we called him Raven Gray....turns out he had the knees of an 80 year old man.

yeah and Mike Ford had an ACT of a 6 year old.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 08:48:06 PM »
Recruiting "expert" on WJOX a few minutes ago said the Lattimore thing wasn't happening.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

djsimp

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 08:51:04 PM »
Recruiting "expert" on WJOX a few minutes ago said the Lattimore thing wasn't happening.

That was from Lugi from ESPN cruiten. Lattimore will be an Auburn Tiger, Koas. Dont listen to them. If he dont I will come on this site and eat my crow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2010, 08:51:48 PM »
That was from Lugi from ESPN cruiten. Lattimore will be an Auburn Tiger, Koas. Dont listen to them. If he dont I will come on this site and eat my crow.

What about a hat?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2010, 08:52:24 PM »

I thought he sounded stupid.  Wasn't making a judgement, just telling you what the "skreets" be saying. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
What about a hat?

We don't make hat bets no more.  BG03 at one point a few years ago on the other site predicted three Alabama receivers being drafted in the first round -- DJ Hall and a couple other talentless fucks -- or he'd eat his brim.  Well, we know how the draft went.  We sent him Tabasco, A-1, salt, pepper and mayonaise.  He still didn't eat the damn hat.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2010, 09:02:39 PM »

Shurburrt on ESPN also says Lemonier will go to Florida State.  Most Auburn sites think Auburn leads.  You just never know with this stuff.  There are usually at least 2-3 places that feel "really good" about their chances with recruits. 

Ken Adams is a perfect example.  Even when he committed to Tennessee, everyone would have bet their farm (even if it only had two kernels of corn on it) that Adams was a done deal to Auburn.  Then poof, he commits to LSU because of the guy that left UT to go there.

You just never know...no matter how much you know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

djsimp

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 09:12:31 PM »
Shurburrt on ESPN also says Lemonier will go to Florida State.  Most Auburn sites think Auburn leads.  You just never know with this stuff.  There are usually at least 2-3 places that feel "really good" about their chances with recruits. 

Ken Adams is a perfect example.  Even when he committed to Tennessee, everyone would have bet their farm (even if it only had two kernels of corn on it) that Adams was a done deal to Auburn.  Then poof, he commits to LSU because of the guy that left UT to go there.

You just never know...no matter how much you know.

The 'skreets' changed their tune once he didnt commit as a Jan. enrollee.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Token

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 09:18:02 PM »

Therein lies the problem.  IF the skreets were legit, and they're not, they would have known from the beginning.  Otherwise, it's a fucking guess.  It may be an educated guess, but it's still a guess.  Anyone can guess.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 09:31:15 PM »
Therein lies the problem.  IF the skreets were legit, and they're not, they would have known from the beginning.  Otherwise, it's a fucking guess.  It may be an educated guess, but it's still a guess.  Anyone can guess.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »

But that's the point....we alllll knew something was up once he didn't commit right away and decided to go to LSU.   But until then, everyone swore up and down he was Auburn bound.

EDIT:  just saw the other posts.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:39:36 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2010, 09:57:13 PM »
In recruiting...."Da Skreets" are never 100% accurate, especially "from the beginning".  When just about everyone, including myself, figured that he would become an Auburn Tiger...I began to question his ties with Frank Wilson, his UT recruiter that had gotten the job at LSU...I believe that I stated that it wouldn't surprise me if he committed to LSU.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »
In recruiting...."Da Skreets" are never 100% accurate, especially "from the beginning".  When just about everyone, including myself, figured that he would become an Auburn Tiger...I began to question his ties with Frank Wilson, his UT recruiter that had gotten the job at LSU...I believe that I stated that it wouldn't surprise me if he committed to LSU.

You seriously can't see it?

"I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Carolina"
"I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to LSU"
"I wouldn't be surprised if he went to Florida"
"I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Auburn."
"I wouldn't be surprised if he commits to Tennessee"

Fuck, dude, just list all 119 schools and you'll be right every single time, because you're never surprised. 

It's like trying to talk to a retarded six year old.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:03:32 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2010, 10:01:42 PM »
Methinks you guys are focusing more on the exceptions than the rules.

These kids themselves don't know 100% until signing day is over.

I personally enjoy seeing reports on these kids' thought process along the way. If you don't, then stay off of football message boards during the offseason. And stay out of this forum in particular at any time of year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions