Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

I can't believe this came from al.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: I can't believe this came from al.com
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 02:39:41 PM »
As annoying as 12 is, they have actually been named national champs 25 different times by various organizations.  Some are even too ridiculous for bammers to claim....

1941 - 9-2 - final AP ranking #20 - named champs by Houlgate System.
1950 - 9-2 - final AP ranking #16 - named champs by Bob Kirlin.
1963 - 9-2 - final AP ranking #9 - named champs by Jim Koger. Auburn was 9-1, finished #5, and beat Alabama.   
1974 - 11-1 - final AP ranking #5 - named champs by Washington Touchdown Club.
1980 - 10-2 - final AP ranking #6 - named champs by Montgomery Full Season Championship.

These are just among the more ridiculous. 

However, as much as it pains me to say this, if we use being named by at least TWO organizations as a guideline...Auburn would have 5 national titles (1913, 1957, 1983, 1993, and 2004).  By that same criteria, Alabama would have 18.

If you go by titles named by at least 3 organizations, here is the SEC:
1. Alabama - 15 (1925, 26, 30, 34, 36, 45, 61, 64, 65, 66, 73, 75, 78, 79, 92)
2. Auburn - 4  (1913, 57, 83, 93)
2. Florida - 4  (1984, 96, 06, 08)
2. Georgia - 4  (1927, 42, 46, 80)
2. LSU - 4  (1908, 36, 58, 03, 07)
2. Tennessee - 4  (1938, 50, 51, 98)
7. Ole Miss - 3  (1959, 60, 62)
8. Arkansas - 2  (1964, 77)
9. Kentucky - 0
10. Miss State - 0
11. S. Carolina - 0
12. Vanderbilt - 0

Me thinks that Houlgate and Bob Kirlin were on some good tonic......
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jadennis

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 02:44:25 PM »
Me thinks that Houlgate and Bob Kirlin were on some good tonic......

Definitely Kirlin. 

He also named 10-3 LSU national champs in 2001!!  What a joke. 

Miami was 12-0. 
Oregon was 11-1. 
Florida was 10-2. 
Tennessee was 11-2
(both Florida and Tennessee beat LSU, along with 7-4 Ole Miss). 
Texas was 11-2. 
And Oklahoma was 11-2. 

Hence the #7 final AP ranking for LSU.  How that Kirlin guy came up with his champs, I have no idea.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

jadennis

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 02:59:30 PM »
This won't mean a lot on this board, since there are no Tennessee fans around, but I came across an interesting note on Coach Neyland.  In 1969 the Sporting News voted him the #2 coach in football history.  He was 173-31-12, which is a .829 winning %.  Very impressive.

But look at this.

Tennessee plays both Vanderbilt and Kentucky.  He won 40 of his games against these two teams.

He won another 53 against the following:
Carson-Newman,Centre, Chattanooga, The Citadel, George Washington, Maryville, Mercer, Sewanee, Southwestern Tennessee, Tennessee Tech, Transylvania, Washington & Lee, and Wofford.

And no, none of those teams were powers at the time.  Sewanee's best days were over by then.

So of his 173 wins, 93 were pretty much "gimme" wins.  That's 54% of his wins over those schools.  He went 8-6-2 against Duke.  12-9 against Alabama.  4-2 against Auburn.  He only played Georgia 2 times and Georgia Tech four times (2-2).

He was impressive, even against his better opponents, but his .829 winning % is pretty skewed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 05:40:46 PM »
Ole Miss is the same way.  When Orgeron got there they arbitrarily decided to start claiming three. They even raised flags.

They have ze-fucking-ro.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
Ole Miss is the same way.  When Orgeron got there they arbitrarily decided to start claiming three. They even raised flags.

They have ze-fucking-ro.
that doesn't support the gg formula (uat = old mrs.)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 10:28:08 AM »
that doesn't support the gg formula (uat = old mrs.)

It's direct support, actually. 

Both schools pull a number out of their ass and claim that number of championships.  The al.com article proved that the Bama twatwad did it.  He chose a number arbitrarily.  So did the Ole Miss admin.

It's a perfect correlation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 11:26:58 AM »
It's direct support, actually. 

Both schools pull a number out of their ass and claim that number of championships.  The al.com article proved that the Bama twatwad did it.  He chose a number arbitrarily.  So did the Ole Miss admin.

It's a perfect correlation.
the zero for ole piss doesn't support presumption of the equality between the two, since uat actually has at least one valid claim - it would instead be more of a mathematical similarity, or a relative/proportional equality in lieu of a direct equality.  This is consistent with uat being a more exaggerated version of the old piss caricature.  Either way, they can both kiss an asscheek.

uat ≈ old mrs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 11:35:48 AM »
Exactly. You ate a whole hoop of cheese and pooped in the refrigerator.
It's wheel btw...a whole wheel of cheese.  hoop? who ever heard of a hoop of cheese... sheesh...you should claim the Movie Line National Championship!  It is worth about the same as the MNC (of course I am jealous)

:poke:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 01:04:40 PM »
the zero for ole piss doesn't support presumption of the equality between the two, since uat actually has at least one valid claim - it would instead be more of a mathematical similarity, or a relative/proportional equality in lieu of a direct equality.  This is consistent with uat being a more exaggerated version of the old piss caricature.  Either way, they can both kiss an asscheek.

uat ≈ old mrs.

No, the numbers are not equal, but the manner at which they were arrived is. 

Both teams had their glory days back in the pre-integration world.  While Alabama has had occasional bouts of relevance since, Ole Miss never has (and likely never will). 

Both programs consider themselves the cream of the aristocratic crop (when both are really loaded with inbred, dumbass, wookie-looking rubes).

The fact that neither was satisfied enough with the reality of what the programs accomplished back in the pre-Civil Rights days and that both have since dipped into revisionist history to create a legend that more-or-less didn't exist is where the comparison applies.  In that respect, they are mirror images of each other.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 02:24:14 PM »
The fact that neither was satisfied enough with the reality of what the programs accomplished back in the pre-Civil Rights days and that both have since dipped into revisionist history to create a legend that more-or-less didn't exist is where the comparison applies.  In that respect, they are mirror images of each other.
Interesting way of looking at it.  I know that one of the reasons the bammers were so proud of the bahr was because the civil rights era made white Alabamians look like scum to the rest of the country.  Bahr's boys winning college football games gave those people something to attach themselves and make them feel proud and superior, even though few of them ever set foot in tuscaloosa county (and even fewer set foot in a classroom there).  Once the bahr was gone, adding the pre-bahr "accomplishments" served to create an impression that the bahr era was some sort of continuation of tradishun, as opposed to the aberration in their tradishun.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

No Huddle

• Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 02:26:31 PM »
It's wheel btw...a whole wheel of cheese.  hoop? who ever heard of a hoop of cheese... sheesh...you should claim the Movie Line National Championship!  It is worth about the same as the MNC (of course I am jealous)

:poke:

OK how about I butcher another line.

I'm in a class base of imodium.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"So I want everybody to think here for a second, how much does this game mean to you? 'Cause if it means something to you, you can't stand still. You understand? You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his ass quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O.... as a team! That's what people know us as!" ~ Nick Saban

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 02:50:51 PM »
OK how about I butcher another line.

I'm in a class base of imodium.
:cage:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions