Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Art Briles to Texas Tech

jadennis

Art Briles to Texas Tech
« on: January 06, 2010, 06:59:59 PM »
this is coming off the skreets of Waco...Baylor coach is headed to Texas Tech.  No gig for Tuberville.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
Re: Art Briles to Texas Tech
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 10:56:19 PM »
heard that Tech balked at the large buyout for Briles and Tubs is still being considered.

another good rumor was that Tubs had the inside track and was trying to lure Willis to go with him as DC.

Who knows for sure.......not I

WAR EAGLE
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

boartitz

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:23:28 AM »
Waco skreets-0
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/1872758.html

View photos
Have more to add? News tip? Tell us

Post a comment on this story
Send us a news tip
Express your opinion in a letter to the editor
By DWAIN PRICE

dprice@star-telegram.com

It’s official. Art Briles is staying at Baylor.

Bears athletic director Ian McCaw said Briles has declined to talk to Texas Tech about its vacant head coaching position, and instead wants to finish his job at Baylor.

“We’re proud to have Art Briles as our head football coach,” McCaw said Wednesday, “and we’re looking forward to great success under his leadership.

“Basically he decided he’s going to stay at Baylor and he declined the opportunity for an interview [at Tech].’’

Meanwhile, it’s back to the drawing board for Tech, which was hoping to have a coach in place by the end of this week.

“We’ve got more work to do,’’ Tech athletic director Gerald Myers said. “It would be nice to be able to finish it up.’’

It appeared as though Briles was all set to fly to Lubbock today and possibly become the successor to coach Mike Leach, who was fired Dec. 30. But after Baylor granted Tech permission to talk with Briles, it was Briles who decided he wanted to stay at Baylor.

“I wasn’t surprised,’’ Myers said. “Baylor extended his contract, so he decided he was going to stay there.’’

Raiders interim coach/defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill and ex-Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville interviewed this week to become Leach’s successor, and now it appears as though the job will go to one of them.

Former Clemson coach Tommy Bowden and Arizona offensive coordinator Sonny Dykes could still be in the running. Meanwhile, Houston coach Kevin Sumlin is close to signing an extension with the Cougars.

Briles signed a seven-year, $12.6 million contract with Baylor on Nov. 28, 2007. In his two seasons at Baylor, he has lit a fire under the Bears.

Baylor finished with back-to-back 4-8 seasons the past two years, but enthusiasm was sky-high because of the inspiration Briles brought to the table.

Briles also coached Houston to a 34-28 record and four bowl appearances from 2003-’07, and won four state high school titles at Stephenville.

As far as Tech goes, Myers said the Raiders could still have a coach in place by this weekend.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:24:55 AM by boartitz »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 11:25:52 AM »
I was just driving home and they broke in and said "according to sources in the Baylor athletic department, Art Briles will be leaving to coach at Texas Tech".  Those were my skreets.

I don't think Tech was too worried about the buyout though, they knew all about it and actually used it as leverage during their contract negotiations with Leach back in January.  Even back then they had their eye on Briles.   Also, the rumor is that he had a clause in his contract letting him get out for Texas Tech (he coached there 2000-02).  The thought was that Baylor agreed to it thinking they didn't have to worry because Leach would be there forever.

But, looks like he's staying put at Baylor I guess.  Damn radio skreets.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

eagleair89

• Horny Rabbit
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 11:35:34 AM »
hot off the press!

Tuberville offered a 10 year deal and must keep the current DC.........xCTT said  thanks but no thanks.

Tech now pursuing George Lucas..........because he understands "The Force"

from pirates to the galactic empire.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I, We, They.....The Illuminati

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 12:07:49 PM »
hot off the press!

Tuberville offered a 10 year deal and must keep the current DC.........xCTT said  thanks but no thanks.
I can't imagine him turning that down. Maybe he would scoff at the length of the contract, but then again, he has to realize this is pretty much his last chance to get back in to coaching at a major program.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »
hot off the press!

Tech now pursuing George Lucas..........because he understands "The Force"

from pirates to the galactic empire.

Coach Skip Holtz gets pushed out the door at East Carolina and Coach Leach gets hired as the Pirate's new HC

Coach Sheban decides that since everything is big in Texas that he's going to get bigger and he takes Jerry Jones up on his offer

Coach Major Applewhite becomes SPuat's youngest HC....The Circle has been completed.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 12:56:42 PM »
Coach Skip Holtz gets pushed out the door at East Carolina and Coach Leach gets hired as the Pirate's new HC

Coach Sheban decides that since everything is big in Texas that he's going to get bigger and he takes Jerry Jones up on his offer

Coach Major Applewhite becomes SPuat's youngest HC....The Circle has been completed.

I would never route for the Cowboys again...and anyway, good ole boy Wade bought himself at least another year...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 01:14:15 PM »
I would never route for the Cowboys again...and anyway, good ole boy Wade bought himself at least another year...

Yep, Coach Yuk Yuk, as we call him down here, is going to be around again (unless Philly wins 44-6 again this year).   :jaw:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 01:33:36 PM »

I doubt if midget were to move again, it would be to a Pro job.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 01:36:35 PM »
I'm not so sure. The money is certainly better, but he has already said that he and his wife both hated the pros as one of the reasons for wanting to come back to college ball. I really think Alabama is his last stop.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »
Yep, Coach Yuk Yuk, as we call him down here, is going to be around again (unless Philly wins 44-6 again this year).   :jaw:

Get it right JA. Its Coach "Aww Shucks"

And here's to hoping this Sat night's game is even worse than last Sundays 24-0 ass whipping. God I hate McNabb.  :bar:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 02:49:53 PM »
You're right...it would be a con job. :rimshot:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.