No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
Re: Hey God
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:21:07 PM »
Tell me about it, I thought when I got a college degree I wouldn't have to work out in the elements oh well. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 03:22:40 PM »
Spent the first half of today helping our facilities manager wrap up the piping on all the cooling (500+ tons) for the data center.  It's fucking cold out there.  Had to have a staff meeting this AM first thing about what we are to do in case of inclement weather.  We actually had people asking if they had to burn leave if they couldn't make it in.  I thought it was pretty common practice that if you couldn't get to work b/c of weather, you either didn't get paid, or had to burn some vacation time?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 03:43:50 PM »
Walked in this morning and the thermostat showed 54 in my office.  I'd almost rather be working outside.  It's up to 62 now...and rising.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

chinook

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 03:48:02 PM »
We actually had people asking if they had to burn leave if they couldn't make it in.  I thought it was pretty common practice that if you couldn't get to work b/c of weather, you either didn't get paid, or had to burn some vacation time?

part of our cold weather preparation plan has 1 full page addressing this issue as well as reminding people to dress for the cold.    
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 04:01:41 PM »
Walked in this morning and the thermostat showed 54 in my office.  I'd almost rather be working outside.  It's up to 62 now...and rising.

It's fucking cold in Huntsvegas today! 

part of our cold weather preparation plan has 1 full page addressing this issue as well as reminding people to dress for the cold.

Say what?

Glad to see that the company I work for isn't the only one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 04:05:35 PM »
Same here, basically.  We also get a Memorandum of Understanding a day or three before there is the threat of any kind of inclement weather that could keep us from here...just as a reminder.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

chinook

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 05:52:01 PM »

Say what?

Glad to see that the company I work for isn't the only one.

i've sent several people home for not coming to work prepared for the weather conditions.  i'm not asking people to come to work in an ark or stuffed like the little boy in a christmas story, but keep in your car...rain gear, gloves, a fleece jacket and a stocking cap.

life in teh pacific northwest doesn't stop when it rains.  infrequently, we'll get snow or super cold in the valley. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 05:58:28 PM »
i've sent several people home for not coming to work prepared for the weather conditions.  i'm not asking people to come to work in an ark or stuffed like the little boy in a christmas story, but keep in your car...rain gear, gloves, a fleece jacket and a stocking cap.

life in teh pacific northwest doesn't stop when it rains.  infrequently, we'll get snow or super cold in the valley. 

Wow, I guess I am amazed that you actually have to tell people to be prepared for weather conditions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 06:57:50 PM »

Wind breakers or rain suits block cold weather the best. Anything to keep the wind from the skin works best. Insulated work boots are very good to, but be sure they are Gortex® lined. Another thing people do is use thick socks which have the opposite affect, they cut off circulation. I go to the Army-Navy store and buy black military issue thin wool socks and wear those with the insulated boots. Use thinsulate­® insulated gloves and a hood for the head and face. There are hoods that completely cover the head and face, they a work great. I have a Nomex® hood I use. Of course Duofold® insulated underwear work real good in very cold climates, for Alabama I would go with a cotton/poly mix. I have four different types of thermal underwear for different circumstances. These things worked up in Chicago/Toledo/Detroit in the winter, so it should work here. After about 1 month in the cold the amount of cold weather gear could be reduced as the body acclimates.

When I hit the road in 2000, in the middle of winter, I had to find out real quick what worked. Trial and error lead me to the advice I have given.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 06:59:09 PM »
Tell me about it, I thought when I got a college degree I wouldn't have to work out in the elements oh well. 
You should have company uniform FR clothing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

BZ770

• BZ770 Is The Most Interesting Person On The X
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 11:54:44 PM »
You should have company uniform FR clothing.

I should have gotten the Parka when I hired in but instead opted for the FR jacket with button in liner.  Either way turning valves and reeling a tank at 3 AM is cold, doesn't matter how much Gear you have on. I did get some Auburn Earmuffs that fit under my hardhat pretty well. Layering clothing is the way to go, until you have to go to the bathroom. then all that crap gets in the way, especially coveralls.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 02:09:55 AM »
My Mountain Harware fleece is the Boartiz, paired with my Under Armour boggin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 10:02:01 AM »
It's not supposed to get above freezing here in DFW until sometime Saturday afternoon. It is 22 here right now with a wind chill of about 8...

I'm not going outside. It's days like this I am glad I work from home...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 10:43:01 AM »
Layering clothing is the way to go, until you have to go to the bathroom. then all that crap gets in the way, especially coveralls.

Oh, definitely. I hope you make it into management or scheduling one day out there. I have a brother-in-law that works in scheduling and he doesn't have a degree (HS diploma). I would hope it would be easier for someone with a degree to get into that position. I know you have some experience from your working for Scott there, and I would think it could translate into promotions for you. Regardless, please stay safe and warm out there, Brother.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 12:35:40 PM »
Even down here in San Antonio the high for the next few days is not supposed to get over 39 or 40.  The lows are in the teens and the wind chills are single digits (gusts to 45mph today).

The Army All Star kids are supposed to be practicing outside today.  Suuuucks to be them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »
Today was the first day of class....and unfortunately that means 8:30am this semester. So today was also the first time I stepped out of the house before 10am.

Holy shit it was cold.
Miserable.
I'm about to find out how many days there are until Spring Break.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 07:32:35 PM »
     My advice is to move to S. Florida.  I love reading posts like this.  I took the jeep out today with the top off, a comfortable 65 degrees or so.  It's a little cool tonight, probably mid 40's, but I'll take it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions