Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Latest and greatest on Newton

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Re: Latest and greatest on Newton
« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2010, 01:43:47 PM »
Double dumbass on you. 

It was a mistake for Tuberville to hire Franklin.  I know that, you know that.  Tuberville realized it pretty quickly, too. He even took action.

Why is Franklin better at Musty Technical College or whereever he went?  Maybe he learned something from how royally he fucked up things at Auburn. Maybe he's not having to compete against SEC-caliber athletes. Maybe he has the capacity to judge the capability of second-tier athletes, but he can't do it at a higher level. 

Tuberville hired the guy because he was convinced it would help Auburn in recruiting and because he'd done a good job at Troy in making them competitive on a larger scale.  The reasoning was right, but the fit was a fail. 

He would have fixed it. 
It's impossible for you to know this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #221 on: January 07, 2010, 01:45:49 PM »
That just makes too much sense for kaos' pitchfork and dildo parade.
You were one of the many people who were simply ecstatic about Franklin's hire. Chop's "Dr. Franklinstien" graphic in his signature will live forever as well. You fuckers were telling us every day how Franklin's offense was going to beat our brains in, along with any other SEC team who dared oppose the mighty coordinator. Remember all of the bullshit you trotted out post after post in defense of Franklin and his genius? Even after the season started, it was "SEE! I WAS RIGHT!!"...until the wheels fell off.

Its EXACTLY what most AU fans wanted at one point. Everybody was bitching about how the offense wasn't explosive enough. It wasn't attracting high caliber recruits. CTT changed it up due to popular demand. IMO, the fanbase and PTB are just as responsible for that change as anybody. CTT made a bad choice, and for that matter, started fixing the problem halfway through the season. The fact that he identified the problem, fixed it as much as he could for being in the middle of a season, tells me that he would have finished the fix in the offseason.

The fact that the PTB wouldn't let him finish fixing it tells me they were just itching to get rid of CTT, and they were fucking terrified of what was going on across the state and made a knee-jerk decision.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 01:49:43 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

RWS

« Reply #222 on: January 07, 2010, 01:47:51 PM »
It's impossible for you to know this.
The fact that he actually identified there was a problem is something that eludes alot of coaches. They at least give it a few seasons to make sure. CTT cut the cord in the middle of the season. If he was willing to do that, then I think its reasonable to assume that he wouldn't have fucked up two hires in a row. True enough, nobody can know for sure. But at least he showed that he identified a problem and fixed it as much as he could for being in the middle of the season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #223 on: January 07, 2010, 01:51:18 PM »
True enough, nobody can know for sure. 

That seems to be all AWK said.  No?  Nice explaination...again...right after your other post saying the same thing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #224 on: January 07, 2010, 01:51:24 PM »
Maybe he's not having to compete against SEC-caliber athletes.

Bingo

Tuberville hired the guy because he was convinced it would help Auburn in recruiting and because he'd done a good job at Troy in making them competitive on a larger scale.  The reasoning was right, but the fit was a fail. 
And double Bingo.

Franklin also probably needed a little help from the position coaches but he was changing things too much too fast for those other coaches to feel comfortable with and already set in their ways.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #225 on: January 07, 2010, 01:52:58 PM »
That seems to be all AWK said.  No?  Nice explaination...again...right after your other post saying the same thing.
Thanks, Captain Obvious.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2010, 01:54:53 PM »

Bingo
And double Bingo.

Franklin also probably needed a little help from the position coaches but he was changing things too much too fast for those other coaches to feel comfortable with and already set in their ways.

This.... Franklin was a problem.  I admitted I was wrong long ago.  However, having a coaching staff so completely split and working against each other certainly expedited the downturn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2010, 01:58:27 PM »
This.... Franklin was a problem.  I admitted I was wrong long ago.  However, having a coaching staff so completely split and working against each other certainly expedited the downturn.

Its alright because I too took egg in the face over this. I felt pretty excited about a change in offense due to the lack thereof. I admitted I was oh so wrong. It would really be difficult to lay the blame at the feet one person for that whole cluster phuk.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »
The fact that he actually identified there was a problem is something that eludes alot of coaches. They at least give it a few seasons to make sure. CTT cut the cord in the middle of the season. If he was willing to do that, then I think its reasonable to assume that he wouldn't have fucked up two hires in a row. True enough, nobody can know for sure. But at least he showed that he identified a problem and fixed it as much as he could for being in the middle of the season.
I give Coach Tuberville credit for cutting the cord when he realized that Coach Franklin's coaching style wasn't going to mesh with his assistant's style.  It was a dumbass move that most fans, including myself, didn't realize that Coach Tuberville had done when he hired him without looking into what type of person he was.  It's almost as if he just looked at his stats at Troy, realized that he coached under Coach Hal Mumme and with Coach Leach and figured that he'd be able to light the fire under his stale offense...again, without actually doing his job in the search.  No one thought that he would've been that fuckin' stupid just to bring him in, basically without doing a background check.

Coach Tuberville saw this:

It's a '69 GTO Judge, not real pretty to look at, but can haul ass...he's seen it on film.

The Auburn Family saw this:

If Coach Tuberville had sat down with him and picked his brain...like most fans figured that he would've done, he would've seen this:

A leaky engine.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #229 on: January 07, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #230 on: January 07, 2010, 02:33:40 PM »

Yes...face palm, Coach Tuberville screwed the pooch on the search and he paid for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

« Reply #231 on: January 07, 2010, 02:38:58 PM »
You know, Coach Gran was the one that actually made the first suggestion about Franklin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #232 on: January 07, 2010, 02:46:37 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #233 on: January 07, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »
I agree partly K.

The 2008 debacle was a 2 headed problem.

One part Franklin
One part old school asst coaches

Oil, meet water.

The damage was done. The only - ONLY - way Tubs could have rectified the situation at the end of the season would have been to rebuild the offensive staff.  Nall - yes a good OL "x's and o's" coach. But personally he had gotten bitter and stale and his cons were starting to outweigh his pros. I still liked Gran. Knox needed to go anyway as well. He went from recruiting and producing NFL receivers to nada in 2-3 yrs time. I don't know what happened but things had just gotten flat. Franklin getting hired just sealed the deal. Franklin wasn't the only coordinator at Auburn to be looked at as an outsider.

Al Borges says to call him if you want the full scoop. Gibbs, Petrino and Muschamp are also willing to talk.

K, you should know better than anyone that I was a HUGE critic of Tony Franklin last year from other boards. I even took flack for constantly calling him Otis the Drunk. I thought he had a sloppy appearance and even sloppier demeanor. I thought he was unprofessional as one can be at this level. No doubt the guy has a ton of fault in what happened. I'm just saying it was NOT 100% on him.

At this point to say Tommy would have fixed it is purely hypothetical. We have no way of knowing. It could have been another 2008 with that same offensive staff intact.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 03:05:45 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #234 on: January 07, 2010, 04:18:15 PM »
You are also assuming that he did this because the offense wasn't working.  When not 2 days before he said that they would not be getting rid of Coach Franklin. Something happened at practice that morning that forced Tubs hand, would Franklin have returned for next year? Probably not, but Tubs also did not fire him mid season because the offense wasn't performing.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #235 on: January 07, 2010, 04:54:45 PM »
You are also assuming that he did this because the offense wasn't working.  When not 2 days before he said that they would not be getting rid of Coach Franklin. Something happened at practice that morning that forced Tubs hand, would Franklin have returned for next year? Probably not, but Tubs also did not fire him mid season because the offense wasn't performing.

I don't remember for sure, but wasn't there a morning in particular where Franklin basically snapped?  Smelled like alchohol and raved like a lunatic during a practice???
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #236 on: January 07, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »
Some of you idiots here have led even stone Jesus facepalm.  You know who you are.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #237 on: January 07, 2010, 06:02:25 PM »
I don't remember for sure, but wasn't there a morning in particular where Franklin basically snapped?  Smelled like alchohol and raved like a lunatic during a practice???

Skreets has it that Franklin got very animated at practice and basically took over (the way many of us might react when no one Absolutely NO ONE will cooperate with you.

Look the BBQ Boys weren't going for any of that stuff by an OUTSIDER!
A birdy fetches Tubs and Franklin looks worse than ever.

Certain players had aligned themselves with their position coaches. That compounded the problem.

Franklin NEVER had a chance to prove himself because he got absolutely no help.

Tubs had to choose between a guy no one wanted to work with, or the coaches that had been with him for years.

It was one failed move, after so many right moves. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions