Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Do we really need a full size indoor practice facility?

jadennis

Do we really need a full size indoor practice facility?
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:07:33 PM »
Indoor facilities.

Alabama: Facilities - Rolltide.com - The Official Web Site of University of Alabama Athletics
110 yd, heated and air conditioned

Arkansas: No indoor facility.

Florida: No indoor facility (but just opened a $28 million football "complex").
Facilities - GatorZone.com

Georgia: No indoor practice facility (but in process of $40 million 53,000 sq ft football complex expansion).
http://www.georgiadogs.com//pdf4/416...DB_OEM_ID=8800

Kentucky: No indoor practice facility (do have an indoor track facility that has turf in the middle).

LSU: 100 yd climate controlled facility

Football operations center built in 2006 for $15 million
Tour the LSU Football Operations Center - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

Mississippi State: Relatively new indoor facility, climate controlled, shared with baseball team.
Palmeiro Center - Mississippi State University Bulldogs Official Athletic Site - mstateathletics.com

Ole Miss: Full size indoor facility.

South Carolina: No indoor facility, but building a huge new athletic complex (fields, buildings, etc).

Tennessee: Full size indoor facility (very nice)...check out the tour University of Tennessee Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex STACK TV

I used to think that an indoor facility was an absolute must. After looking at who has them and who doesn't, I'm not positive it's the best use of money. Florida and Georgia both do not have one, yet constantly have top 10 recruiting classes. LSU has had one since the early 90s (?), yet their recruiting was nothing special until they got a true recruiter there.

I'm kind of leaning towards an upgrade in the overall football "complex" similar to what Florida just did, what LSU did in 2006, and what Georgia is currently doing. Florida's was $28 million, Georgia's will be $40 million (which looks like it will include some indoor practice area, but not a full field), and LSU's was $15 million. Those facilities have a big time "wow" factor. Meyer and Richt both seem to see more recruiting value in those facilities than in adding an indoor field. Meyer even said that recruiting was the #1 reason for building the new complex.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:03:35 PM by jadennis »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Do we really need an indoor practice facility?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 01:11:41 PM »
Tuberville said we needed one.  He always alluded that this was the reason he couldn't recruit the 5 star guys consistently.  Maybe there was another reason after all?!?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 01:15:30 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade to ours. Pretty much a dump.  I think keeping the complex, weight room and areas where the players spend most of their time top of the line is a priority.  If players see state of the art facilities where they'll be hanging out, I would imagine that's a huge plus.  Lounges and wide screens everywhere.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

jadennis

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 01:18:10 PM »
More programs with indoor facilities that apparently don't sway too many top recruits....

Illinois

Kansas

Colorado

Wisconsin

Baylor

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 01:23:30 PM »
I would imagine some of those schools, Wismommy partsome, Illinois, Colorado etc. have to have indoor facilities with the weather that rolls through.  I think there is a need for at least an adequate indoor facility, not from a recruiting standpoint, but more to have a viable option when the weather is teh sux.  Auburn's doesn't cut the mustard in that regard.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 01:32:34 PM »
I think we could have used a lot more for football than a basketball arena...but that's just me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

jadennis

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 01:39:12 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade to ours. Pretty much a dump.  I think keeping the complex, weight room and areas where the players spend most of their time top of the line is a priority.  If players see state of the art facilities where they'll be hanging out, I would imagine that's a huge plus.  Lounges and wide screens everywhere.

This is what I'm thinking.  Looking at the new buildings Alabama, LSU, and Florida have, it's more impressive to me than a 100 yd field in a bubble.  

LSU:

Alabama:

http://www.rolltide.com/facilities/moore-athletic-facility.html

Florida

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 01:43:10 PM »
We already have one. It's just not full sized. It sure beats the hell out of the old bubble. Damn that thing was cold in the winter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 01:44:08 PM »
Damn.  Let me hang around those training tables, weight rooms etc. for a few months....I'd be a big, bad mo-fo....instead of a message board tough guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 01:45:57 PM »
Damn.  Let me hang around those training tables, weight rooms etc. for a few months....I'd be a big, bad mo-fo....instead of a message board tough guy.
You still wouldn't get chicks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »
You still wouldn't get chicks.

Damn. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Do we really need a full size indoor practice facility?
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 03:23:47 PM »
http://razorbacks.flex360.net/facility.asp?id=5
You photo-shopped that...everyone knows the state doesn't even have indoor plumbing, let alone an indoor practice facility.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

jadennis

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 03:33:46 PM »
I swore Arkansas had one, but for whatever reason, looking around their site, I didn't see it. 

I see now what I did.  On the interactive facilities map, if you scroll over the indoor facility icon, it says "mens weight room"....you have to move the mouse lower and it changes to "Willard and Pat Walker Pavilion". 

So sorry about that, but thanks, we can add that to the previous post of schools with a facility that doesn't seem to matter much in recruiting.  ;)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 03:45:18 PM »
I swore Arkansas had one, but for whatever reason, looking around their site, I didn't see it. 

I see now what I did.  On the interactive facilities map, if you scroll over the indoor facility icon, it says "mens weight room"....you have to move the mouse lower and it changes to "Willard and Pat Walker Pavilion". 

So sorry about that, but thanks, we can add that to the previous post of schools with a facility that doesn't seem to matter much in recruiting.  ;)
Arkansas doesn't need to recruit. They are already loaded.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 04:56:22 PM »

We have a sweet indoor practice facility with a HUGE weight room above.  We're behind in Locker rooms and meeting rooms. The big push right now at Arkansas is for a basketball practice facility.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 04:58:57 PM »
     We have a sweet indoor practice facility with a HUGE weight room above.  We're behind in Locker rooms and meeting rooms. The big push right now at Arkansas is for a basketball practice facility.

I've seen the weight room, it is quite impressive.  If Cowboy Jones hadn't just built Jerry World in Dallas, I bet you could get the facilities upgraded....Jerry Jones Football Plaza...probably in the future and I'm surprised it doesn't already exist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

- Reggie Torbor

boartitz

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 05:13:34 PM »
You photo-shopped that...everyone knows the state doesn't even have indoor plumbing, let alone an indoor practice facility.
We piss on the field, but Petrino makes us go outside to shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 05:14:28 PM »
Arkansas doesn't need to recruit. They are already loaded at running back.
There ya go.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 05:43:09 PM »
Rollin 5 deep, bitch
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions