Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Al Gore Killed the Radio Star

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
Al Gore Killed the Radio Star
« on: January 25, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »
One of the major FM radio stations in Atlanta stopped broadcasting over the airwaves this week. Now it’s all over the interwebs.

They claim it’s the new hotness. Sounds like a big risk.

Has anyone else heard of such a thing ?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Six

Re: Al Gore Killed the Radio Star
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 02:13:44 PM »
Sounds like sheer craziness to me.  I would assume that the major place that most people listen to the radio is in the car.  I understand streaming the broadcast over teh ebays, but exclusively? 

I predict an about face within three months. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

barkndog

• number one super guy
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »
One of the major FM radio stations in Atlanta stopped broadcasting over the airwaves this week. Now it’s all over the interwebs.
which one?  I used to live over there, and with a 1:15 hour drive to work (one way) every day, I really got to know the local radio there...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Silence is golden. Duck tape is silver.

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »
which one?  I used to live over there, and with a 1:15 hour drive to work (one way) every day, I really got to know the local radio there...

99X
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 11:27:21 AM »
Thats dumb and a waste of time.  There are better internet stations, i.e. Live365 and etc... that have endless collections of music.  Plus, with satellite radio around... :stewie:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 03:01:09 PM »
I heard it was because of ManBearPig.  I think he had an "after hours" show on that station.  I'm super serial you guys, I swear he's real and he's coming after us all...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
I heard it was because of ManBearPig.  I think he had an "after hours" show on that station.  I'm super serial you guys, I swear he's real and he's coming after us all...
Pay attention to you Will Writing workshop fool
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 02:43:02 AM »
I did, and I now have a document which states "[t]he following document is valid if and only if I die at the hands of ManBearPig...[A]ll of my assets are to be put into a constructive trust for the sole benefit and formation of an Anti-ManBearPig Coalition, the sole purpose of which shall be the hunting and ultimate destruction of the aforementioned beast..."  Document Assembly Software is neat...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 11:11:30 AM »
effin right.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 04:51:02 PM »
But the true greatness of all this radio frequency swappin' here in the ATL is that the Nazi and the Jew are back on morning radio.  The Regular Guys returned yesterday to Rock 100.5 and I'm back to listening to a funny, semi-informative, and somewhat offensive morning show in the AM on the way to work.  This is much better than then the monotony of NPR (which I like, yes, but damn it's hard to wake up to) or sports radio (which without football is half as interesting, IMO).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

barkndog

• number one super guy
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 10:20:16 AM »
But the true greatness of all this radio frequency swappin' here in the ATL is that the Nazi and the Jew are back on morning radio.  The Regular Guys returned yesterday to Rock 100.5 and I'm back to listening to a funny, semi-informative, and somewhat offensive morning show in the AM on the way to work.  This is much better than then the monotony of NPR (which I like, yes, but damn it's hard to wake up to) or sports radio (which without football is half as interesting, IMO).
Any bets to how long the Regular Guys are on the air before they are suspended/fired again?  They're a lot of fun, but they can't stay out of trouble.  I wish Birmingham had a show like theirs - but it seems all of Birmingham's stations are "bubbafied".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Silence is golden. Duck tape is silver.

Ogre

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 11:14:36 AM »
Anyone here ever listen to Bubba the Love Sponge?  I used to listen to him every morning when I lived in Macon, GA.  His show was based out of Tampa, FL, and I think it was only syndicated in a few markets, mainly Florida and Georgia.  That was the funniest show I have ever heard.  He blew the Regular Guys out of the water. 

What made his show great were the other members of his show:  Manson was a genius at parody songs and skits, Brent was an angry pot head, and Ned was a dirty old man who would have you wetting your pants with his prank phone calls.  I got to meet all of them once when they came to Macon.  Good times.

Last I heard, they were booted off the air for indecency, but I think I heard that they were on Stern's channel on Sirius. 

I just checked their site, and apparently they still do some sort of morning show:

http://am.btls.com/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 11:19:09 AM »
Bubba is indeed available on Sirius satellite radio.  Speaking of, has anyone heard any new news on this whole Sirius/XM merger?  I thought it was already supposed to be over and done with by now...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 11:22:39 AM »
Bubba is indeed available on Sirius satellite radio.  Speaking of, has anyone heard any new news on this whole Sirius/XM merger?  I thought it was already supposed to be over and done with by now...

Rick and Bubba are buffoons and I am ashamed to acknowledge that they are also AU fans.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Ogre

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 11:23:18 AM »
That pisses me off.  I used to have Sirius until I went to a Braves game with Thrilla a couple of years back.  His cheap ass wanted to save $8 on parking, and he showed me this side street near the stadium where he supposedly parked all the time for free.  After the game, we're walking back to my car and I notice a wire hanging out of my drivers side window.  Turned out to be the antenna to my Sirius.  Some sorry motherfucker broke in my car and stole the receiver but didn't think to steal the antenna.  Needless to say, I was pretty pissed.  I was even more pissed that I had to drive 4 hours home with little chunks of glass flying in the vehicle and hitting me in the face.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 11:26:31 AM »
That pisses me off.  I used to have Sirius until I went to a Braves game with Thrilla a couple of years back.  His cheap ass wanted to save $8 on parking, and he showed me this side street near the stadium where he supposedly parked all the time for free.  After the game, we're walking back to my car and I notice a wire hanging out of my drivers side window.  Turned out to be the antenna to my Sirius.  Some sorry motherfucker broke in my car and stole the receiver but didn't think to steal the antenna.  Needless to say, I was pretty pissed.  I was even more pissed that I had to drive 4 hours home with little chunks of glass flying in the vehicle and hitting me in the face. 

See you should have taken Thrilla's car home and left yours in his care to get fixed.  What a jackass!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Ogre

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 12:13:42 PM »
All this talk about Sirius has made me miss it, so I went to their website and found a deal on a reconditioned radio:

http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&siId=2989858&catParentID=7873&scId=7873

You can't beat $30 for a Sirius radio, remote and replay with the pause and rewind feature.  I just snagged one.  I sent the bill to Thrilla's house.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 12:15:39 PM »
That pisses me off.  I used to have Sirius until I went to a Braves game with Thrilla a couple of years back.  His cheap ass wanted to save $8 on parking, and he showed me this side street near the stadium where he supposedly parked all the time for free.  After the game, we're walking back to my car and I notice a wire hanging out of my drivers side window.  Turned out to be the antenna to my Sirius.  Some sorry motherfucker broke in my car and stole the receiver but didn't think to steal the antenna.  Needless to say, I was pretty pissed.  I was even more pissed that I had to drive 4 hours home with little chunks of glass flying in the vehicle and hitting me in the face.  

Give me a break, man, it was $10 for parking and not $8.  I would've stolen that shit too if I saw it all shiny and new sitting on the dashboard of an unoccupied car.  You were always around so I didn't get a chance.

Any bets to how long the Regular Guys are on the air before they are suspended/fired again?  They're a lot of fun, but they can't stay out of trouble.  I wish Birmingham had a show like theirs - but it seems all of Birmingham's stations are "bubbafied".

I think they'll be on for the long haul, until the station changes formats (again) or until ratings drop.  This will probably be a couple of years, but after getting kicked off the air twice, I think they will be more careful the third time around.  They already have more leeway working for a CBS radio station then they did when they worked for the ClearChannel station.

You can't beat $30 for a Sirius radio, remote and replay with the pause and rewind feature.  I just snagged one.  I sent the bill to Thrilla's house.

Put it on my TigerCard, muthafucka!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 12:17:26 PM »
Put it on my TigerCard, muthafucka!

If I wanted your dad to pay for it, I would have sent the bill to his house.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 12:23:32 PM »
If I wanted your dad to pay for it, I would have sent the bill to his house.

You can go ahead and do that.  He has nothing better to do.  But don't forget that that same card paid for many beers for us during the glory days. 

"Sure, dad, I need that card for food and groceries"
Translation: I will use this card for mainly for cigarettes, beer, movie and video game rentals, and fast food.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions