Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

McFadden and Ethridge

Argo

McFadden and Ethridge
« on: November 01, 2009, 02:38:22 PM »
Let me start by saying, consider the source.

http://blog.al.com/chatter/2009/11/just_finish_it_out_-_mcfadden.html

'Just finish it out' - McFadden fulfills plea of injured DB
By Paul Gattis -- The Huntsville Times
November 01, 2009, 1:04PM

AUBURN - Poor Mr. Butterfingers.

First, Zac Etheridge sent a tremor through his spine that resulted in a first-quarter ambulance ride to the hospital.

Then his close friend and Auburn teammate Walter McFadden intercepted not one pass, but two in Saturday's 33-20 win over No. 24 Ole Miss.

Three, McFadden told reporters that Etheridge couldn't catch a cold if it disguised itself as an interception.

You know, with friends like that ...

"He's been wanting an interception all year," McFadden said. "Every time he gets his hands on the ball, he's the butterfingers guy. He'll drop them."

This is all the joyous fallout of expunging a three-game losing streak and beating a ranked opponent for the first time under first-year coach Gene Chizik.

Mr. Butterfingers can take this kind of verbal needle when his antagonist is wearing a winning smile. But no one was smiling late in the first quarter.

Etheridge arrived from the right and defensive end Antonio Coleman arrived from the left, their helmets colliding at full speed just as Ole Miss tailback Rodney Scott fell the ground below them.

Etheridge didn't get up.

Medical personnel from both sides hurried onto the field and buried Etheridge in concern. The remaining 10 players on Auburn's defense took a knee and teammates' hands, heads bowed.

The ominous gurney rolled onto the field and Etheridge was gingerly lifted onto it, his head - still in helmet - immobile to protect his spine.

"Just finish it out, Walt," Etheridge told McFadden.

Ever tried to play football with a lump in your throat?

"That was something big," McFadden said. "That let me know he would be OK."

He was, at least according to initial reports from Auburn. Etheridge had movement in all of his extremities.

As for the game, McFadden finished it out and made sure everything would be OK for Auburn.

He intercepted a Jevan Snead pass in the third quarter and returned it 29 yards for a touchdown and a 24-7 lead. He intercepted another Snead pass with 2:54 left to secure the win.

Mr. Butterfingers would've been proud. Jealous, but proud.

"When Zac went down, I was hurting," McFadden said. "We always play on the same side. We've got our own little signals out there. Sometimes (defensive coordinator Ted) Roof gets mad at us because we're out there making our own plays. It's just that communication.

"Sometimes I can look at Zac and he already knows what I'm thinking."

What Etheridge was probably thinking was, "Hey, gimme one of those interceptions!"

Done.

"I would be glad to give him one of mine," McFadden said. "I want to keep one."

You'll give him the touchdown?

"He can take the touchdown," McFadden said. "That's how hard he works to keep this team together. He's a great leader."

I'm wondering about the part in bold.  Why in the hell would two players, specifically defensive backs, have their own hand signals and make up their own plays?  Especially if they are changing their assignments without letting other teammates know about it.   :blink:

It wouldn't surprise me if Gattis just made that poop up, but if he didn't, that should probably be addressed by Coach Chizik.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 02:40:29 PM by Argo »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: McFadden and Ethridge
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »
I saw on ESPN this morning that Peyton Manning speaks Gaelic to his offensive linemen.  They don't know what he's saying, but as long as the defense doesn't know either they're cool with it. 

I could be wrong, but I think ESPN and Peyton Manning were having a little fun. 

I could be wrong again, but I think this is a story that is supposed to convey the close relationship between McFadden and Etheridge.  I think it's supposed to be touching and show the will power that one can have when playing for something more than himself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Argo

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:53:04 PM »
I saw on ESPN this morning that Peyton Manning speaks Gaelic to his offensive linemen.  They don't know what he's saying, but as long as the defense doesn't know either they're cool with it. 

I could be wrong, but I think ESPN and Peyton Manning were having a little fun. 

I could be wrong again, but I think this is a story that is supposed to convey the close relationship between McFadden and Etheridge.  I think it's supposed to be touching and show the will power that one can have when playing for something more than himself.

I figured as much, but damn, if a cornerback and safety are using their own hand signals and "creating their own plays", that's letting friendship bleed over into business.  Especially if a linebacker is sitting in zone expecting help from a safety who decided, "fuck Roof, I'm going man coverage."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »
The Manning thing was hilarious.  His center said something to the effect of how they should be able to communicate because Peyton's had his hand up my butt the past 11 years.  The TE said he had no idea what Manning was saying so he just runs an out route every time and hopes he throws him the ball.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 08:32:49 PM »
The Manning thing was hilarious.  His center said something to the effect of how they should be able to communicate because Peyton's had his hand up my butt the past 11 years.  The TE said he had no idea what Manning was saying so he just runs an out route every time and hopes he throws him the ball.
Peyton Manning is just one big goofy bastard. I think thats what makes him so funny. I love watching some of these commercials he is in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 09:01:53 PM »
Peyton Manning is just one big goofy bastard. I think thats what makes him so funny. I love watching some of these commercials he is in.

I love Manning.  This is perfect Manning material:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 10:30:33 PM »
I love Manning.  This is perfect Manning material:

I loooooove that shit.  Peyton Manning is the real deal all the way around.  NOBODY works harder to be the best at his craft than Manning.  Nobody!!!  This may open up one hell of a debate, but in my opinion, if I was starting a team and had my choice of any QB in history to run the show, he's my guy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Argo

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 10:44:52 PM »

NOBODY works harder to be the best at his craft than Manning.  Nobody!!!  

You're drunk.

Signed,

Tiger Woods
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 11:14:42 PM »
Peyton is a total package - a kick ass QB, funny as hell, intense no matter what he is doing - and hotter than Houston in July. 

He is on my all time fantasy team... and I am NOT talking football. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 11:25:53 PM »
Peyton is a total package - a kick ass QB, funny as hell, intense no matter what he is doing - and hotter than Houston in July. 

He is on my all time fantasy team... and I am NOT talking football. 

Wench, I do believe we have the same taste in men.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 11:26:24 PM »
You're drunk.

Signed,

Tiger Woods

Im a word...FUCK that.  If things aren't going right..Peyton goes in to to fucking den of 300+ lb bad ass NFL linemen and gets in all their faces...every one of them.  When one stands up to him, he continues to bark in his face.  When things aren't going right for Tiger...well..he sends his caddy to cuss the guy who clicked his camera in Tiger's backswing.  Tiger is 100% Grade A Bad Ass.  Yessireeee!!!  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Argo

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 11:57:27 PM »
Im a word...phuk that.  If things aren't going right..Peyton goes in to to phuking den of 300+ lb bad ass NFL linemen and gets in all their faces...every one of them.  When one stands up to him, he continues to bark in his face.  When things aren't going right for Tiger...well..he sends his caddy to cuss the guy who clicked his camera in Tiger's backswing.  Tiger is 100% Grade A Bad Ass.  Yessireeee!!!  

Tiger has a stare that would get his point across to the 300 lb lineman without having to say a word. 

Don't get me wrong, Peyton is the best quarterback in football, but no way does he work harder at his craft than does Tiger.  No fucking way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 12:01:35 AM »
Tiger has a stare that would get his point across to the 300 lb lineman without having to say a word. 

Don't get me wrong, Peyton is the best quarterback in football, but no way does he work harder at his craft than does Tiger.  No fucking way.

Has Peyton missed a game? 

Has Tiger missed a major? 

Case closed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 02:06:43 AM »
Has Peyton missed a game? 

Has Tiger missed a major? 

Case closed.

Tiger Woods is a pussy. 

I'd like to see how well he'd play if he had to hit out of some of the shit-tacular lies I end up playing out of -- and making the hero shots I make.  No way that twat can thread a series of four or five trees and play it off a limb like I can.   L used a tree to the left of the fairway to riccochet my ball right at the green today.  It was like a bark-aided slice that got me probably 70 yards I could never have made otherwise.  And yeah, I aimed right at the bitch.

Until he can do that?  He's nothing.  Anybody can play out of the middle of the fucking fairway. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 09:15:17 AM »
Do not get on Tiger Woods' bad side.  He will send his caddy to give golf guy a stern lecture.

GET IN THE HOOOOOOOOLE!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Argo

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 09:57:06 AM »
Tiger Woods is a pussy. 

I'd like to see how well he'd play if he had to hit out of some of the poop-tacular lies I end up playing out of -- and making the hero shots I make.  No way that twat can thread a series of four or five trees and play it off a limb like I can.   L used a tree to the left of the fairway to riccochet my ball right at the green today.  It was like a bark-aided slice that got me probably 70 yards I could never have made otherwise.  And yeah, I aimed right at the bitch.

Until he can do that?  He's nothing.  Anybody can play out of the middle of the phuking fairway. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 02:00:16 PM »
GET IN THE HOOOOOOOLLLLE
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Argo

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 02:20:47 PM »
GET IN THE HOOOOOOOLLLLE

You sound like my wife.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2009, 02:36:16 PM »
You sound like my wife.

I very seriously almost choked on my chicken salad sandwich.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2009, 02:38:24 PM »
I very seriously almost choked on my chicken salad sandwich.

I like your sig by the way. Its almost like famous words in a good movie.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions