Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts - Week 6

Thoughts - Week 6
« on: October 11, 2009, 01:28:53 PM »
Well, it happened.  We lost.  It was bound to happen to a first year head coach who inherited a team with depth issues.  I'm not upset about losing.  I'm upset with the way we lost.  

Auburn...

- Got blown out.  Bad.  Period.  Destroyed.  Every facet of the game was dominated by Arkansas.  

- The players weren't prepared to play.  No matter how many times you say it, you have to MODEL FOR, TEACH, and INSPIRE college kids to play great football at 11am.  That's all on the coaches.  I don't buy into superstitions, so everyone claiming the "we're cursed in early games" bullshit needs to shut up.  

- Why did Malzahn get cute?  Why do all of these good offensive coordinators get cute?  After our first drive, I was reminded of Navy trying a 2 pt conversation against Ohio St.  They had the Buckeyes by the balls and could have sent the game into overtime where I had full confidence Navy would win.  Instead of running the option - the same option that had killed Ohio St all day - they get in a pass formation and throw an interception.  

- Instead of running Ben Tate and McCalleb up the middle and killing the defense with a few easy throws from Todd, we have Kodi Burns, the inspirational wide receiver, lead the offense.  One wildcat play is fine.  Leaving Kodi in on 3rd down?  That's trying to be too cute.  The defense might have been caught off guard, but they didn't have to worry as Kodi is not a 3rd and long converter.  

- We didn't force the ball down Arkansas's throats until the 3rd quarter.  It's inexcusible.  You run the ball against that defense.  They've been terrible all year.  Their vaunting offense is nearly unstoppable.  You keep the ball out of their hands.  Malzahn stopped the clock with incompletions and gave the ball back to them time and time again.  We should have smashed the football into their chests and forced them to stop us.  

- Although, all of the blame goes to the defensive side of the football.  The campaign has begun.  Fire Ted Roof.  No blitzes?  Really?  You give Mallett, a slow quarterback, all day to throw against our secondary who is as raw as a head of lettuce on a farm.  He picked us apart.  Also, leaving only four guys to guard the line of scrimmage with the back 7 desperately trying to get into position opened up enormous holes for their running backs.  AND THEN, once they got the ball passed the line of scrimmage, our defense has such poor tackling techniques that they racked up YACs like crazy.  

- No excuses.  There is a glaring reason why our defense is tremendously worse than last year.  It's our coaching.  I don't know what goes on inside closed doors, but either Chizik needs to take over the defense or he needs to get away.  Ted Roof is the coordinator, therefore I expect him to receive the brunt of the criticism.  We can't win against LSU or Bama with that defense.  We might outscore Ole Miss and Georgia.  We might.  

Arkansas...

- Not impressed.  Mallett is a good quarterback who makes nice throws, but I saw the same Arkansas team that I saw against Bama.  I just didn't see Bama's defense out there.  

- Petrino gets cute with his playcalling as well.  I think that's a recipe for disaster especially in this league.  Good defenses will stop Arkansas (see Alabama-Arkansas 2009).  LSU will stop it.  Florida will stop it.  Ole Miss will stop it.

- The defense still doesn't look that impressive.  Auburn gave you the spotlight, but I saw a lot of players out of position; I saw Ben Tate on the worst day of the year gain 185 yards; and I saw Arkansas give up 20 points in 3 minutes.  

- I think Florida takes Arkansas to the woodshed as does LSU.  Next year, when the defense STILL hasn't improved, Petrino will be running for cover.  

Alabama...

- The undisputed, unanimous #1 team in the country.  Florida lacks receivers.  Texas is overrated.  Boise St is a cinderella story.  There is not a more complete team than Alabama right now.  They control the clock on offense and dominate on defense.

- I know Kaos disagrees, but this is one of the better defenses I've ever seen.  The line of scrimmage is dominated.  They have a 1st rounder in McClain with other productive linebackers around him.  The secondary is always in perfect position and they can also deliver the big hit.  They haven't missed a beat since Hightower was injured.  Although it seems like they benefit from lucky plays, when it happens every week multiple times a game, it's no longer luck.  

- The only weakness I see is with the quarterback.  He's a game manager.  McElwain has put McElroy in a position to not screw up.  He's done well so far.  He might get tested against LSU or South Carolina, but he's been decent.  With that said, I don't think Bama fans can expect him to win a game for them if Ingram or Richardson go down/get stopped.  

Ole Miss...

- Give up.  Snead looked more like a 2nd string quarterback than a Heisman candidate.  1st round draft pick?  More like free agency.  

- The defense is sound.  I thought they did a great job against Bama's offense considering how bad the Rebel offense was.  If Ole Miss had any kind of offense, I think we would have seen McElroy get his first real test.  Eventually, Ingram out muscled the defense and controlled the game.  

Florida...

- As I've said before, until some receivers truly step up, Florida will not win the SEC or NC.  

- The defense is stout.  They've given up double digits once.  Here's a big time stat - they've given up only 2 touchdowns all year.  I'd vault them over Bama's defense, but I don't think Florida has faced the same caliber of competition.  It's really close, though.  

LSU...

- Tiger fans need to start the campaign - Fire Crowton.  There's no reason why a team with the best talent in the country can't score points.  They struggle with execution and consistency.  That's on the coach.  Get a new coordinator...actually, don't.  It's a lot easier for Auburn to win when your coaching sucks.  

- The defense looked a lot better.  I think Florida being one dimensional helped.

Texas...

- Same quote each week.  "It took a while for Texas to wake up...."  That sentence is usually finished with Texas blowing out the other team in the end.  I've heard that before.  I've watched that game every week.  Eventually, it bites you in the ass.  One day, you're down 27-3 at halftime and you realize that it's too late to wake up.  You realize it's time to wake up at 11am.  It's time to wake up at the beginning of the game and play a COMPLETE game.

- Oklahoma will more than likely beat Texas next week.  Lock of the week.  If Texas doesn't play good football until late in the 2nd quarter against the Sooners, they'll be down 28-3.  The comeback will look nice in the 2nd half, but Oklahoma isn't Colorado or Wyoming.  They're more like Arkansas - just good enough to kick your ass back down to the dirt.  

Final thought...

- It's not as bad as it seems.  Here are some interesting stats:

Tommy Tuberville's first year at AU - Was blown out by Tennessee, Florida, and Arkansas.  
Urban Meyer's first year at Florida - Was blown out by Alabama.
Nick Saban's first year at LSU - Was blown out by Auburn, Florida, and lost to UAB.  
Nick Saban's first year at Alabama - Lost to LA Monroe.
Mack Brown's first year at Texas - Blown out by Kansas St.

- It happens.  Old fashion butt kickings happen and they often happen to first year head coaches.  A new system is being implemented, and while the players may see vast improvement, they aren't ready to be the big boys yet.  

- I'm still impressed with what Chizik is doing, and I think we beat Kentucky, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Furman.  9-3 is an amazing year for a first year head coach.  

- Of course, the wheels could fall off at some point.  After Saturday, I definitely can't rule out that possibility.  

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:35:57 PM by townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
Re: Thoughts - Week 6
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »
Good read as always. Front page material.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 05:05:46 PM »
Alabama's offense certainly needs to get it together. I actually thought McElroy did OK, its the OL that has some big issues. They HAVE to get better. We just can't get into a two TE set with a RB in the backfield every passing play. We were inside the Ole Miss 5 yard line four different times on Saturday, and didn't score the first TD from there. Two missed TD opportunities were drops in the end zone, and the other two, I just don't know what the fuck those were. Thank God for our defense, otherwise we would have came out of Oxford with a loss.

I wonder when the last time a defense has held a team to under 20 yards in the first half in NCAA ball?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 06:16:28 PM »
Alabama's offense certainly needs to get it together. I actually thought McElroy did OK, its the OL that has some big issues. They HAVE to get better. We just can't get into a two TE set with a RB in the backfield every passing play. We were inside the Ole Miss 5 yard line four different times on Saturday, and didn't score the first TD from there. Two missed TD opportunities were drops in the end zone, and the other two, I just don't know what the phuk those were. Thank God for our defense, otherwise we would have came out of Oxford with a loss.

I wonder when the last time a defense has held a team to under 20 yards in the first half in NCAA ball?

Probably 1992.  That defense didn't allow a first down all season.  Most teams just forfeited instead of playing against it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 06:23:07 PM »
Probably 1992.  That defense didn't allow a first down all season.  Most teams just forfeited instead of playing against it.
Opponents had only 5 plays with positive yardage combined all season. 3 of those went for less than 1 yard.

Absolutely amazing. They were the Tebow of their time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 06:30:31 PM »
Really great post townhallsavoy.
Excepting profanities, I've been pretty much speechless. So thank you for saying it...and saying it better than I've seen it written anywhere else.

Alabama's offense certainly needs to get it together. I actually thought McElroy did OK, its the OL that has some big issues. They HAVE to get better. We just can't get into a two TE set with a RB in the backfield every passing play. We were inside the Ole Miss 5 yard line four different times on Saturday, and didn't score the first TD from there. Two missed TD opportunities were drops in the end zone, and the other two, I just don't know what the phuk those were. Thank God for our defense, otherwise we would have came out of Oxford with a loss.

RWS, I'm going to try and keep this as simple as I can for someone with your background and limited understanding.
Nobody on here gives a fuck about what bama needs to do.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 06:34:31 PM »
RWS, I'm going to try and keep this as simple as I can for someone with your background and limited understanding.
Damn, that's going to leave a mark!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jadennis

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 06:55:35 PM »
Great post Townhall, not much to disagree with.

The only thing is that I do think the Arkansas defense played pretty well in the first half.  I know we probably helped them look better than they are, of course, but I really did feel like they were very disciplined and in position most of the time, and their tackling was pretty good in the open field (or maybe I'm just getting used to seeing 17 missed tackles on every play by our defense).

I also wonder just how one-dimensional Florida actually is and if they're just happy to be who they are, which is a run-first, run second, run third team.  They do average over 300 yards rushing and it doesn't appear to matter if Tebow were to huddle up the defense and tell them what play they're running.  It's good for 5-9 yards every time anyway.  And being that way makes the 15-20 passes they throw during a game incredibly effective and just devastating to a defense that also can't stop the run.

Anyway, we'll see about our team.  If we can manage even 8-4, I still think it would be a successful season.  The way the schedule is set up it may have a tendency to make us look like we're struggling down the stretch, but the fact is, our toughest opponents just happen to be in the last 5 games.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"To me Auburn is not in Auburn, Alabama. Auburn is the people who care about Auburn, the people who love Auburn. Wherever they are, that’s Auburn, Auburn is in your heart. You play for it."

- Reggie Torbor

RWS

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 07:30:42 PM »
Really great post townhallsavoy.
Excepting profanities, I've been pretty much speechless. So thank you for saying it...and saying it better than I've seen it written anywhere else.

If you don't want to hear something about Alabama, then:

1. Place me on ignore.

2. Convince your bretheren to not talk about Alabama.

Both would be fine with me. Sorry, but in a thread that gives an analysis on Alabama football, I'm going to comment on it. If you don't like it, then put me on ignore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 08:15:33 PM »
If you don't want to hear something about Alabama, then:

1. Place me on ignore.

2. Convince your bretheren to not talk about Alabama.

Both would be fine with me. Sorry, but in a thread that gives an analysis on Alabama football, I'm going to comment on it. If you don't like it, then put me on ignore.

A couple of things....

I'm a hater. I hate all things bammer. So it is and so it ever shall be. I ask no quarter and I give none.

I don't put people on ignore.I can handle reading something stupid/boring/offensive.... I either comment or forget about it. I never said not to post about bama...I was simply stating facts, no one on here is even remotely interested in what bama needs to do to improve, for damn sure not this week anyway.
That certainly doesn't mean you can't say it.

I'll either comment(like I did) or forget about it(like I usually do). And we all live happily ever after.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 08:19:26 PM by AUsweetheart »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A national championship is a wonderful thing, but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 08:21:33 PM »
You forgot to tell him to go fuck himself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUsweetheart

• 13....LOL
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 08:45:34 PM »
You forgot to tell him to go phuk himself.

You are quite correct sir. Thanks for pointing out the oversight.....;)

GFY bammer.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 09:11:47 AM »
Great post Townhall, not much to disagree with.

The only thing is that I do think the Arkansas defense played pretty well in the first half.  I know we probably helped them look better than they are, of course, but I really did feel like they were very disciplined and in position most of the time, and their tackling was pretty good in the open field (or maybe I'm just getting used to seeing 17 missed tackles on every play by our defense).

I also wonder just how one-dimensional Florida actually is and if they're just happy to be who they are, which is a run-first, run second, run third team.  They do average over 300 yards rushing and it doesn't appear to matter if Tebow were to huddle up the defense and tell them what play they're running.  It's good for 5-9 yards every time anyway.  And being that way makes the 15-20 passes they throw during a game incredibly effective and just devastating to a defense that also can't stop the run.

Anyway, we'll see about our team.  If we can manage even 8-4, I still think it would be a successful season.  The way the schedule is set up it may have a tendency to make us look like we're struggling down the stretch, but the fact is, our toughest opponents just happen to be in the last 5 games.
I think the biggest thing about UF this year is, for some reason, they look alot more beatable than last season. I don't think Tebow is going to be quite 100% for the rest of the season either.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 09:39:58 AM »
What makes YOU think that any team is unbeatable (ah yes). Tebow is a terrific college football phenomenon.
He was never going to be anywhere close to the legendary Tebow he is presently at Florida in the NFL. He hasn't the arm of a professional quarterback. He is a tremendous asset as a leader with a great physical presence. Some say he will be a missionary. But I have a suspicion that suitors will be lined up to wrestle him into a booth because he is a commodity. And in this way, the missions can be funded and Tebow can act at his own discretion controlling his interests as he sees fit and working as often as he wants. Plus, Tebow will never have to be hit again. Total victory for Tebow. Anything else is insanity. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 10:17:10 AM »
Here is the only thought worth pondering after this weekend:

Where was the "hurry up" in Gus's HUNH on Saturday?  The one time we hurried the fuck up, we reeled off 20 points.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jmar

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 10:24:10 AM »
Someone must have stolen the playbook rendering the offense to look like last year's team with the Franklin playbook. So I suppose it might look STUDIDER to hurry up. Duh! :haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 10:25:29 AM »
So I suppose it might look STUDIDER to hurry up. Duh! :haha:

Studider.  Indeed.

Bonus idiot points for utilizing "duh".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 10:29:51 AM »
Townhall, nice job, I will post this on the front page tomorrow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

RWS

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 10:32:58 AM »
Here is the only thought worth pondering after this weekend:

Where was the "hurry up" in Gus's HUNH on Saturday?  The one time we hurried the fuck up, we reeled off 20 points.
I said it before the season, that an offense like this one and Franklin's rely alot on tempo. Its a gimmick to get in the heads of defenders. But the problem is, if the defense is disciplined and keeps it together mentally, the offense will fall apart. Especially if there are a few consecutive 3-and-out drives. Essentially, the offense relies on the defense beating themselves. If it works, it works great and you will beat the piss out of some teams. If it doesn't work, you're fucked. There is no real in between. It works great or it looks like shit. I didn't watch the game, but I'm assuming you did. So judge it however you want.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:33:44 AM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 10:50:12 AM »
Wrong.  Execution is everything in football (sports) You come out flat, phuk up and can't move the chains and the Sisters of the Poor will embarrass you. Tempo is secondary however deadly when you are executing.
Auburn has the right man as it's coordinator. A defense can be disciplined and stay at home if it has all of the cards, but a reeling defense on it's heels must take chances. PLAYERS make plays, SCHEMES are a format.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions