Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

WR Montez Billings Ineligible

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: WR Montez Billings Ineligible
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 09:20:24 AM »
Let me know when we start playing in space.  It'll be cool to take a rocket to games. 

Meanwhile, I'm concerned that a converted QB, three days into an experiment, is on equal ground with our receivers.  But maybe he's just that damn good.

If Michael Jordan can do it, then Kodi by God Burns can too.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 09:22:32 AM »
The thing is, he wasn't out there running all these intricate routes and blocking downfield.  He ran a lot of quick hitters and plays where he stepped back and the QB shot it out to him with blockers in front etc. Personally, I think it suits his abilities because a lot of what he had to do last year was create and make yardage on his own.  He's a hell of an athlete...just not an SEC caliber QB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 09:26:03 AM »
As far as I'm concerned a blind monkey in a hard hat could do better than our receivers from last year.

The Receivers coach?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 09:27:18 AM »
Courtney Taylor

Redshirt year.  Third in the rotation as a freshman...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »
Meanwhile, I'm concerned that a converted QB, three days into an experiment, is on equal ground with our receivers. 

More failures of the previous staff...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 09:33:19 AM »
For once, I'm not sure losing Montez in the WR's corp that we have right now, would be a huge loss.  From all accounts, the Freshman (which I know is a whole other debate) were beating out some of the older established guys.  

This would be a much more alarming situation if M.B. had been a O-lineman, or LB.  I just hope he gets his shit together so he's on the field the last 3/4's of the season.
If a guy like DeAngelo Benton, who did not even play ball in '08, can come in and outshine what you guys already have, then he is either a freak of nature, or the WR corps at AU are just that horrible. I know he was a 4* (even though I haven't heard Prowler bitch and moan about him not playing a season and still being ranked a 4*), but there is usually a little rust there. Either way, its not a good situation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 09:33:54 AM »
Redshirt year.  Third in the rotation as a freshman...
IMO Redshirt year means nothing, he has game experience, at QB yes but game experience is game experience.  Third rotation...look at our receving corps at that time...Ben, Devin, and Anthony (whom I think might have been the best of the three).

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, I was just pointing out a former QB who made it as a WR.  Kodi is an athelete, I never questioned his feet, he can make plays.  If he can catch then I say throw it to him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 09:37:30 AM »
If a guy like DeAngelo Benton, who did not even play ball in '08, can come in and outshine what you guys already have, then he is either a freak of nature, or the WR corps at AU are just that horrible. I know he was a 4* (even though I haven't heard Prowler bitch and moan about him not playing a season and still being ranked a 4*), but there is usually a little rust there. Either way, its not a good situation.
Spot on.
This speaks volumes about either the previous staff's WR recruiting over the last 3 years or their coaching ability...or both.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 09:37:54 AM »
Julio Jones

I believe that WR is the one position you can step-in from high school and make an immediate impact.  Think about it, if you are smart enough to learn routes (ie Kodi should know as a QB) and you can catch a ball.  I think our problems with receiver stem from poor analyization of talent during the recruiting process, same thing goes for QB. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:38:58 AM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 09:38:49 AM »

This speaks volumes about either the previous staff's WR recruiting over the last 3 years or their coaching ability...or both.

This guy gets it.  Greg Fucking Knox strikes again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2009, 09:39:51 AM »
Spot on.

This is one area I do think TT failed in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2009, 09:40:32 AM »

DB was a 5* when he came out of HS.  He was ranked a 4* after being "re-ranked" for the current year's class I believe.  Beyond all that, the guy is as old, if not older than some seniors on the team, and I don't think it's a stretch to assume (while a little rusty early in camp) that he's got the physicality to contribute as an experienced upperclassman.  

We'll see though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 09:42:01 AM »
This guy gets it.  Greg f*cking Knox strikes again.

The only thing Greg Knox struck the last year or so was probably a golf ball.   

Unless there's something Mrs. Knox isn't telling. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 09:46:20 AM »
The only thing Greg Knox struck the last year or so was probably a golf ball.   

Unless there's something Mrs. Knox isn't telling. 

The frosh are presumed to be less developed than the upperclassmen...so why, then, are the upperclassmen (who were all recruited/trained by Knox and Co.) soooo far behind the frosh?  Why is that do you suppose?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2009, 09:48:19 AM »
The frosh are presumed to be less developed than the upperclassmen...so why, then, are the upperclassmen (who were all recruited/trained by Knox and Co.) soooo far behind the frosh?  Why is that do you suppose?
Just don't compare their downfield blocking skills.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2009, 09:49:39 AM »
I think he was agreeing with you....I think.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

wesfau2

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2009, 09:51:08 AM »
I think he was agreeing with you....I think.

I think he was saying that Taylor and Co. have had eight months to improve the WRs, but Kodi still stepped in and contributed/outshined them.

I think that's bullshit since, as previously noted, Burns is not being asked to run routes and block downfield.  He's in there to get the ball at, or close to, the LOS.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2009, 09:59:15 AM »
I think he was saying that Taylor and Co. have had eight months to improve the WRs, but Kodi still stepped in and contributed/outshined them.

I think that's bullsh*t since, as previously noted, Burns is not being asked to run routes and block downfield.  He's in there to get the ball at, or close to, the LOS.

You're choppering your own spin into what I said and making it fit the rant you were prepared to loose.

Was saying that our WR development was for sh*t under Knox.  I've never disagreed with that.  Ever.  Not even before Tuberville left.  On this topic I know things.

I do think it's a little unnerving for a guy who never lined up at the position to "outshine" as you say in about a week guys who have played that role their entire lives and have been practicing at that position for months.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:00:24 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2009, 10:04:02 AM »
You're choppering your own spin into what I said and making it fit the rant you were prepared to loose.

Fair enough, but I wasn't preparing to lose anything to you, bucko.

Was saying that our WR development was for sh*t under Knox.  I've never disagreed with that.  Ever.  Not even before Tuberville left.  On this topic I know things.

I know you do.

I do think it's a little unnerving for a guy who never lined up at the position to "outshine" as you say in about a week guys who have played that role their entire lives and have been practicing at that position for months.

I think we're unfairly comparing Burns and the other receivers.  Based upon my reading of the scrimmage/practice reports, Burns isn't learning the traditional WR packages.  So, if he's asked to do things that the other WRs aren't, then you can't compare the two.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
I think we're unfairly comparing Burns and the other receivers.  Based upon my reading of the scrimmage/practice reports, Burns isn't learning the traditional WR packages.  So, if he's asked to do things that the other WRs aren't, then you can't compare the two.

Fair enough.  I took the statement "caught the ball as well as any of the receivers" and made that into an indictment of receivers in general. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions