Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

RockBottom Golf.com

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
RockBottom Golf.com
« on: August 18, 2009, 11:18:05 PM »
I'm going to get some new equipment.  Rockbottomgolf.com is kicking the pricing ass by about $100 or more on clubs I want. 

Anybody ever bought from them?

Is there a catch?  Why so cheap?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Re: RockBottom Golf.com
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 11:38:41 PM »
I'm going to get some new equipment.  Rockbottomgolf.com is kicking the pricing ass by about $100 or more on clubs I want. 

Anybody ever bought from them?

Is there a catch?  Why so cheap?
I need clubs included, brands, price ranges, etc...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:08:30 AM »
I need clubs included, brands, price ranges, etc...

I want a Cleveland Monster driver.   I hit one at Edwin Watts and it was 30 yards longer and acres straighter than anything I hit there.  I also enjoy the general jackassity of its ridiculous loudness.  Imagine slamming two garbage can lids together.  Now imagine doing it while you're standing inside a bathroom.  When you hit the ball with it, people stop to see what you broke. I laugh -- hard -- at that.  Isn't golf suppsed to be fun?

So at Edwin Watts the driver is $299 but you get some difflus doob other club for "free" with it.  Same price at Las Vegas Discount. Same price at everywhere else. 

RockBottom?  $199.  But I don't get the billabong or whatever other club that is that I don't really want. 

Since that price was kicking, I was also looking at a set of Callaway irons. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 03:24:21 AM »
Cleveland Driver and Calloway Irons damn nice combo, all you need is a Scotty Cameron to finish off the bag. I've bought clubs from Ebay and Edwin Watts when they put last years Driver/Irons on sale.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:25:44 AM by Jumbo »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 11:51:16 AM »
I want a Cleveland Monster driver.   I hit one at Edwin Watts and it was 30 yards longer and acres straighter than anything I hit there.  I also enjoy the general jackassity of its ridiculous loudness.  Imagine slamming two garbage can lids together.  Now imagine doing it while you're standing inside a bathroom.  When you hit the ball with it, people stop to see what you broke. I laugh -- hard -- at that.  Isn't golf suppsed to be fun?

So at Edwin Watts the driver is $299 but you get some difflus doob other club for "free" with it.  Same price at Las Vegas Discount. Same price at everywhere else. 

RockBottom?  $199.  But I don't get the billabong or whatever other club that is that I don't really want. 

Since that price was kicking, I was also looking at a set of Callaway irons. 
Go for it, just make sure you google reviews of the website first.  You can learn a lot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 11:52:25 AM »
Make sure you are versed in their return, exchange and warranty information before purchasing.  A lot of those sights are slick when it comes to those type issues.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 11:56:10 AM »
Go for it, just make sure you google reviews of the website first.  You can learn a lot.

I did. 

As Chopper correctly pointed out, those who got what they ordered gave the place great reviews.  Those who had problems with their order ripped it a new asshole. 

I think what I'm going to do is eat the extra $100 so I can get it from somewhere I can go back if there are problems.  I'll get the extra club and then sell it to offset some of the difference. 

Anybody want a Cleveland XLS or Launcher Fairway Wood at a super price? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 12:51:24 PM »
I did. 

As Chopper correctly pointed out, those who got what they ordered gave the place great reviews.  Those who had problems with their order ripped it a new asshole. 

I think what I'm going to do is eat the extra $100 so I can get it from somewhere I can go back if there are problems.  I'll get the extra club and then sell it to offset some of the difference. 

Anybody want a Cleveland XLS or Launcher Fairway Wood at a super price? 

Check out the used club bin first!!  You'd be surprised how many people buy shit they have no business trying to hit, only to bring it in a week later for something else.  This leaves a practically new club sitting there for someone at 25% - 70% off.

(Just a word of advice from an ex-Edwin Watts employee)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 01:01:27 PM »
Check out the used club bin first!!  You'd be surprised how many people buy shiitake they have no business trying to hit, only to bring it in a week later for something else.  This leaves a practically new club sitting there for someone at 25% - 70% off.

(Just a word of advice from an ex-Edwin Watts employee)

Speaking of...

Anybody want a Nike square head driver?  Reasonable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 01:02:58 PM »

Speaking of...

Anybody want a Nike square head driver?  Reasonable.

Talk about your funky "clank" noise...  Sheesh...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »
Make sure you stick with steel shafts on your irons.  I prefer the Taylor Made irons over the Callaways for the average golfer.  Much more forgiving.  You can usually find last years TM model at Watts for $399.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 01:12:54 PM »
Talk about your funky "clank" noise...  Sheesh...

Bring the noise.  I like the noise.  Doesn't bother me.

Just don't care for the way it hits the ball.   I got enamored with the look.  Ignored the swing test I did and thought I would come around to liking it.   I do like it, but I really, really like the Monster.  I've tried it at three different shops now in three different states. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 01:13:29 PM »
Make sure you stick with steel shafts on your irons.  I prefer the Taylor Made irons over the Callaways for the average golfer.  Much more forgiving.  You can usually find last years TM model at Watts for $399.   

So now I'm average? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 01:16:58 PM »
So now I'm average? 

No. ...but those TM's might help you get up to that level? 

I keeeeed I keeeeeed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 01:17:31 PM »
So now I'm average? 

How about Supremely Average?  BTW what is your handicap or average score?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 02:57:17 PM »
How about Supremely Average?  BTW what is your handicap or average score?

I am wildly inconsistent.  I went two weeks ago and shot a grisly 110 that ruined my soul and had me contemplating quitting the game. 

I've since shot low 90s.   I went into 16 Monday and blew out my elbow when I buried the clubhead on a tree root that was covered in grass.  Shot 6, 7, 7 on the final three holes using mostly my left hand and ended at 90 even. 

So I basically suck.  I just enjoy hitting the ball. 

Until a year ago I was playing with clubs I'd gotten when I was 16.  I haven't been sixteen in a while.  I also played about once every five years. 

But a guy I know borrowed some money, couldn't pay me back and offered me a decent set of clubs in trade.  I took them.  Played for the first time in probably half a dozen years back in April.  Started playing once every two weeks, bumped up to once a week and am now trying to hit the course at least three times a week.  Wedesday after work, Friday afternoon and Sunday.  Sometimes throw in a Saturday round, too.

So I started looking at the clubs I had and decided to upgrade.  Bought that Nike driver because it was pretty and made a funny noise, basically.  Bought a hybrid because my fairway woods were actually made of some wood product and smelled musty.

Tried about ten different kinds of balls.  Guy yesterday gave me a dozen Callaway orange and I'm going to give those a shot. 

I basically suck.  I'm not proish. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 04:40:44 PM »
A few things based on what I've gathered...

Equipment you should try out:

Irons:

Any iron that has a lot of offset.  Avoid "blade" irons at all costs right now.

Stick to irons that have a Regular shaft.  Something in a dynamic gold series.  Rifle series are okay, just ensure they are regular.  Overall, even their "regular" shafts can be a little more rigid.  Avoid graphite like Tailgate said.

Buy a used set.  There's no reason to spend full brand new retail price because they look shiney and new.

Woods:

Go graphite shafts, even regular if you can manage it.   This will help you with tempo.  Besides stubbing your club and hurting your elbow, it sounds like you might need to slow down and practice tempo.  Regular shafts will help with this.

Bigger head is fine, but really, just find one that you feel comfortable over the ball with.  Find a head with a little more loft on it.  Something at least at 9.5 or higher.  No more than 10.5.  Unless you're just a total pussy, or 65 years old, you don't need an 11 degree.  You're teetering on women's clubs there.

Get a decent set of fairway woods.  Get a 15 degree 3 wood, and a 19 degree 5 wood. 

Hybrids do NOT replace fairway woods.  A #3 refers to replacing your 3 iron, not 3 wood.  It is generally in the 18/19 range and 10x easier to hit than a 3 iron.  Get a 22 degree #4 hybrid.  You'll love it. 

Wedges, Putters...

All comfort... 

JMO....but this is the direction I'd send someone trying to get comfortable in their game, without spending big money, and without putting them in clubs that will potentially frustrate the shit out of them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 04:56:18 PM »
A few things based on what I've gathered...

Equipment you should try out:

Irons:

Any iron that has a lot of offset.  Avoid "blade" irons at all costs right now.

Stick to irons that have a Regular shaft.  Something in a dynamic gold series.  Rifle series are okay, just ensure they are regular.  Overall, even their "regular" shafts can be a little more rigid.  Avoid graphite like Tailgate said.

Buy a used set.  There's no reason to spend full brand new retail price because they look shiney and new.

Woods:

Go graphite shafts, even regular if you can manage it.   This will help you with tempo.  Besides stubbing your club and hurting your elbow, it sounds like you might need to slow down and practice tempo.  Regular shafts will help with this.

Bigger head is fine, but really, just find one that you feel comfortable over the ball with.  Find a head with a little more loft on it.  Something at least at 9.5 or higher.  No more than 10.5.  Unless you're just a total poon, or 65 years old, you don't need an 11 degree.  You're teetering on women's clubs there.

Get a decent set of fairway woods.  Get a 15 degree 3 wood, and a 19 degree 5 wood. 

Hybrids do NOT replace fairway woods.  A #3 refers to replacing your 3 iron, not 3 wood.  It is generally in the 18/19 range and 10x easier to hit than a 3 iron.  Get a 22 degree #4 hybrid.  You'll love it. 

Wedges, Putters...

All comfort... 

JMO....but this is the direction I'd send someone trying to get comfortable in their game, without spending big money, and without putting them in clubs that will potentially frustrate the shiitake out of them.

Thanks. 

The hybrid I got is a 2.  I'm pretty solid with my irons.  Rarely make a bad shot with them, so I'm okay there. The 2 hybrid is a nice filler.

If that stupid dam root hadn't been there, it would have been fine.  Basically bent my elbow backward because it jammed my follow through. 

I liked the monster mainly because it added distance and bent my slice back into the fairway.   I'd never sliced off the box until I started playing this time.  But I don't have a driver worth a flick. I bought the Nike because what I was using before that was a Dunlop Wal Mart special I picked up for $20 on the way to the course when I realized the only driver I had was wood, warped and cracking.
But the Nike isn't all I hoped it would be.  It's loud and difficult for me to control.  I went back to the Wal Mart goober driver the last time I played.  Thus the Monster lust.

Used to play a lot when I was younger.  From 16 - 25 I played at least once a week.  I was riding in the 70s or very low 80s most of the time then.  Every once in a while dipped in the 60s.

My putter is fine.  Rarely more than two shots on any green and my second one is generally two feet or less. I'm using a wedge that's probably 40 years old because I know how it works and I'm comfortable with it.

I doubt I'll be loading up on clubs anyway.  I'll probably just get the driver so I've got a club off the box I'm comfortable with and then start working with what I have. 

I know I'm not Tiger Woods.  I've got no real interest in playing in tournaments or being the big cock at the club.  Just want to try to eliminate the one stink ass shot every other hole I end up making.  Those add up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Argo

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 09:19:24 PM »
I've bought from GolfEtail.com twice and was very pleased both times.  I can't hit a big head driver, straight, to save my life. I bought a new Callaway X-Tour 3 wood (15 degree) for 80 bucks and consistently hit it baby draw in the 250 yard range.  I've played 8 rounds with it now and have been extremely happy with it. 

Also bought an Odyssey putter (white hot sabertooth) for 119 bucks.  I normally wouldn't buy a new model club, but that's a freaking steal on the sabertooth.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 09:24:26 PM »
I use the green handled putter at Adventureland. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."