Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Kaos may have a point

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Kaos may have a point
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 07:36:38 AM »
  Some seem to be bigger fans of recruiting than they do of the game itself.

Well when you are tryin' to get that next 'cruitin' championship you can't hold nothin' back.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 07:49:00 AM »
Well when you are tryin' to get that next 'cruitin' championship you can't hold nothin' back.

You have to live it everyday, you talk the talk can walk the walk?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Birmingham

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 08:19:34 AM »
So let me get this straight, you guys are talking smack about recruiting rankings, which have only a coincidental relationship with success on the field anyway,  the bigger part of a year before signing day??  I find it amazing how wrapped up people get in recruiting.  Some seem to be bigger fans of recruiting than they do of the game itself.

Absolutely horse shit.  Rankings are given for a reason, A very athletic person is ranked highly for the same reason that an average athlete isn't.  To then say that when the "very athletic person" transfers that athleticism to the field in the form of success is only "coincidence" says all I need to know about your analysis of recruiting and more importantly the lack of understanding.

People saying that recruiting rankings don't matter is something that has become sexy recently while maintaining the ability to comfort them at the same time.  I say that knowing that it's possible neither of those apply to you and that you may actually believe it.  If that is the case, you weren't worth this long of a reply and I've wasted my time explaining why the idea of only looking for diamonds in the rough will leave you with a couple diamond and an overwhelming amount of shit to sift through.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 09:06:04 AM »

O N E Recruit at a time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 09:07:21 AM »
O N E Recruit at a time.

It's a process.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 09:57:44 AM »
The way I look at this is that Auburn replaced everyone on the coaching staff this past year, from the waterboy all the way to the head coach!  If I were coming out of a high school being recruited by the powerhouses of the SEC, Auburn being one of those teams and I was really interested in them, I would wait to see the product put out on the field before I commited.   I would guess that some of these recruits have the same mind set as I do.  With that being said, I think some of the 4 and 5 * recruits will wait until after the season to commit (see LO). I think that the staff is doing a good job getting some of the top recruits in the country interested in Auburn without them even seeing the staff coach one game.  We will see come Feb.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:58:57 AM by lifesapplepie »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Argo

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »
The way I look at this is that Auburn replaced everyone on the coaching staff this past year, from the waterboy all the way to the head coach!  If I were coming out of a high school being recruited by the powerhouses of the SEC, Auburn being one of those teams and I was really interested in them, I would wait to see the product put out on the field before I commited.   I would guess that some of these recruits have the same mind set as I do.  With that being said, I think some of the 4 and 5 * recruits will wait until after the season to commit (see LO). I think that the staff is doing a good job getting some of the top recruits in the country interested in Auburn without them even seeing the staff coach one game.  We will see come Feb.

I agree with this.  It would not shock me to see Auburn end up easily with a top 10 class.  Possibly top 5.  If AU gets a few breaks early and can play the entire season without a lot of injuries, I think they have a chance to win 8-10 games.  That in itself would bring in a great class.  I believe it swings both ways though.  Anything less than 6 wins, Chizik will find it hard to get some of the top players. 

Either way, Chizik and company have plenty of top prospects looking their way.  If they can produce on the field, they'll reap the rewards in February.  If they can't produce, gnashing will commence, and ya'll probably have to ban greasy.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 10:51:52 AM »
I agree.

Don't get me wrong, I recognize that our class doesn't look as good as most of our SEC rivals at this point, and that is disconcerting.

And for the reason you quoted above, I am hoping more than usual for a stellar season. Cause if we have another season like last year, or God forbid, worse, we're in a world of hurt. Recruits at least need to see that we're turning the corner.

That being said, I am far from panicking about this recruiting class at this point.

More food for thought:

Shaun Kitchens, Kenneth Carter, and Jawara White are all on the ESPN 150 Watch List, yet they're all listed as 3*s. Being on that 150 Watch List means they're at least a 79 on Lugenbill's scale, which usually translates to a 4*.

Bonomolo is still unrated, but is clearly a beast.

DJ Howard's 3* rating is based on his sophomore year because he didn't play his junior year.

Cody Parkey is an UnderArmour All-American, and is widely considered the #1 kicker in the nation, but is still sitting at 3*s, because apparently that's the max a kicker can get.

Yes, we need some momentum, and yes we still need some major impact players to jump on board still, but I'm just saying, it's not as bleak as it's being made out to be.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »
Do recruits get evaluated anymore or is this it? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 11:18:29 AM »
Do recruits get evaluated anymore or is this it? 
Yes they do. That's why stars fluctuate.

I fully expect some of these 3*s to make the leap to 4*s during their senior season.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »
Yes they do. That's why stars fluctuate.

I fully expect some of these 3*s to make the leap to 4*s during their senior season.

Thanks, I wasn't for sure if camps were the last time they get evaluated or if it was after their senior year. I figured they had to one more time before all was said and done. 

I have never really understood how the scout and rivals ranking worked, or at least fully.  I don't usually get interested in recruiting until the HS season is in it's final weeks.  Can't help but notice it this year though, seems like people are talking about it more and more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 03:50:30 PM »
A very athletic person is ranked highly for the same reason that an average athlete isn't.  To then say that when the "very athletic person" transfers that athleticism to the field in the form of success is only "coincidence" says all I need to know about your analysis of recruiting and more importantly the lack of understanding.

I never said player ratings weren't important.  Obviously you have to get good players.  Although, even in the player ratings, after the top 100 - 200 players, the ratings can be severely subjective, and influenced by who is recruiting the player as much as anything.
    What I said was that the TEAM rankings only have a passing relationship with success on the field, much like preseason polls.  There are too many examples to illustrate this, but the latest off the top of my head was last year, when your cousins, with 4 classes in the top 20 including the #1 the year before, got spanked by a team with no class ranked above 60.
     My point is people get so wrapped up in the team rankings, which do not take into account most of the factors it takes to have a winning team  It's not like if you have top recruiting classes it automatically translates to wins on the field.  But many treat it that way, and I just do not understand it. (It's #2 on my list of things I just don't understand, behind only Starbucks).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2009, 03:56:09 PM »
(It's #2 on my list of things I just don't understand, behind only Starbucks).
No, venti is twenty. Large is large. In fact, tall is large and grande is Spanish for large. Venti is the only one that doesn't mean large. It's also the only one that's Italian. Congratulations, you're stupid in three languages.

A venti is a large coffee.

Really? Says who? Fellini? Do you accept lira or is it all euros now?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2009, 04:13:41 PM »
No, venti is twenty. Large is large. In fact, tall is large and grande is Spanish for large. Venti is the only one that doesn't mean large. It's also the only one that's Italian. Congratulations, you're stupid in three languages.

A venti is a large coffee.

Really? Says who? Fellini? Do you accept lira or is it all euros now?

You know what I used to have for breakfast? Cocaine. Know what I had for lunch? Cocaine.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 04:30:57 PM »
You know what I used to have for breakfast? Cocaine. Know what I had for lunch? Cocaine.

I bet if I suggested a game of Quidditch he'd cum in his pants.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2009, 04:32:54 PM »

What I said was that the TEAM rankings only have a passing relationship with success on the field, much like preseason polls.  There are too many examples to illustrate this, but the latest off the top of my head was last year, when your cousins, with 4 classes in the top 20 including the #1 the year before, got spanked by a team with no class ranked above 60.
     My point is people get so wrapped up in the team rankings, which do not take into account most of the factors it takes to have a winning team  It's not like if you have top recruiting classes it automatically translates to wins on the field.  But many treat it that way, and I just do not understand it. (It's #2 on my list of things I just don't understand, behind only Starbucks).

Let me try and explain this mystery you're having trouble with while at the same time enlighting you with some facts on the matter.  Since the BCS era, EVERY single team that has finished with the top recruiting class in the country has won a National Championship within 4 years of that date.  So what were you saying about "It's not like if you have a top recruiting class it automatically translates to wins on the field"?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2009, 04:42:46 PM »
(It's #2 on my list of things I just don't understand, behind only Starbucks).

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »
Let me try and explain this mystery you're having trouble with while at the same time enlighting you with some facts on the matter.  Since the BCS era, EVERY single team that has finished with the top recruiting class in the country has won a National Championship within 4 years of that date.  So what were you saying about "It's not like if you have a top recruiting class it automatically translates to wins on the field"?

HAM, give it up.  In case your head has not extended far enough outside of your asshole to notice, once a thread around here gets hijacked, it is damn near impossible to get it back on track.

So go find some relevant movie quote and play along or go back in your corner and continue stroking yourself to see if you can actually reach the three inches of length you claim to have.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2009, 04:53:55 PM »
HAM, give it up.  In case your head has not extended far enough outside of your asshole to notice, once a thread around here gets hijacked, it is damn near impossible to get it back on track.

So go find some relevant movie quote and play along or go back in your corner and continue stroking yourself to see if you can actually reach the three inches of length you claim to have.

You, Kitchen, Now.  And look pretty!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2009, 05:02:01 PM »
You, Kitchen, Now.  And look pretty!
Sure.  Let me finish reading the news first...

Local woman charged with attempted murder after police said she tried to poison her husband.

Dinner will be on the table soon, dear!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions