Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

105.5 The Vulcan

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
105.5 The Vulcan
« on: July 06, 2009, 10:16:36 AM »
Can somebody tell me what the hell happened to 105.5 The Vulcan?  I went to their website this morning and they are now a talk radio station.  WTF?  What's the frequency for a rock station in Bham now?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: 105.5 The Vulcan
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:41:42 AM »
Shit...

More importantly, what does this mean for Beer Bands & Bingo at Firenze???

Just my luck. My band's scheduled to play the week after next there...

Let alone the fact that we've gone there forever.

I will have to do some investigating...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 10:43:31 AM »
Can somebody tell me what the hell happened to 105.5 The Vulcan?  I went to their website this morning and they are now a talk radio station.  WTF?  What's the frequency for a rock station in Bham now?

I was on the way into work this morning, and some toolbag was holding a sign in front of the old Bruno's on Hwy 150 that said "Turn to 105.5 FM NOW."  I did so, and there were two gasbags reading angry emails about Lex and Terry being taken off of 105.5.  

I listened for a few minutes.  They started talking about the fireworks show in Tuscaloosa this past weekend.  The guy talked about how the people at the show reminded him of a reunion of former COPS cast members.  The lady asked where all of those people came from, because she's never seen 'seedy' people like that in Tuscaloosa.  The douchebag's answer:

"They had to have bussed them in from Auburn."

I chuckled, shook my head, and turned the station.  It took me all of 5 minutes to be done with the new station.  

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:37:58 PM »
They turned 106.5 The Pirate down here to talk radio recently, too. 

Used to be an icon.  One of the few places you'd get to hear true old school rock and not that sanitized corporate shit. 

Now? It's a gabfest.  And the talk shows they picked suck turkey nuts. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 12:53:12 PM »
Now? It's a gabfest.  And the talk shows they picked suck turkey nuts.  

Turkeys have nuts?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 02:22:14 PM »
From Mark A.D.

I am choosing to not really get into the “Who” “What” and “Why” of the reasons this happened. But I will say the already immediate outpour of concern from people has been amazing. It really makes me feel special, to know that so many people were concerned about my status, and I thank you all for that.

Clear Channel Radio, has asked me to stay on board and work in multiple directions within their Birmingham & Tuscaloosa markets. Thankfully I still have a job…WHEW!! I will also still continue to do ....BEER BANDS & BINGO at Café Firenze every Wednesday night (with $1 beer people!!!)

I am not really sure what the future holds for me after 11+ years in radio, or when or IF I will ever return to airwaves to do a show..
However, I do know I have the support of some amazing people and once again thanks for that

This really does suck though. With no modern rock stations comes no modern rock promotions, which in turn breeds no good bands coming to Birmingham. That in conjunction with the City Stages debacle, and Birmingham's going to end up never having decent bands visit ever any more...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:27:32 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 02:50:19 PM »
We want a dome. We want a dome.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 03:29:08 PM »
From Mark A.D.

This really does suck though. With no modern rock stations comes no modern rock promotions, which in turn breeds no good bands coming to Birmingham. That in conjunction with the City Stages debacle, and Birmingham's going to end up never having decent bands visit ever any more...

That fucking sucks.  What the fuck are we?  Mayberry?  At least I live close enough to Huntsville to pick up 95.1.  If the wind is blowing in the right direction, and two ducks are fucking on a pond.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 04:03:07 PM »
That fucking sucks.  What the fuck are we?  Mayberry?  At least I live close enough to Huntsville to pick up 95.1.  If the wind is blowing in the right direction, and two ducks are fucking on a pond.

The consolation is that you got rid of Lex and Terry.  Those clowns are the fucking PITS.  They're not even funny.  God, they suck. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 04:11:03 PM »
They turned 106.5 The Pirate down here to talk radio recently, too.  

Used to be an icon.  One of the few places you'd get to hear true old school rock and not that sanitized corporate shit.  

Now? It's a gabfest.  And the talk shows they picked suck turkey nuts.  
96.1 The Rocket is pretty good.

You should have been down here a few years back when TK101 ran Fish and Zeh in the mornings. Fucking. Hilarious. Unfortunately, TK dumped them whenever the FCC started ratcheting up on radio stations. They were a bit risque.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:16:08 PM by runswithscissors »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 04:19:36 PM »
96.1 The Rocket is pretty good.

It won't stray over into the harder edge you could get from the Pirate.  They'll play Van Halen, but they play radio stuff -- Jump, Panama, Pretty Woman, etc.  They won't jump off into Where Have All the Good Times Gone.   The Pirate would have. 

So fuck rock.  I been listening to 107.3's poppy schmaltz lately.  Barry Manilow, Bee Gees, whatever. 

I'd like to listen to WNSP but Brien and Lee are the worst motherfucking radio hosts in the universe. Brien, particularly, sucks.  If that stupid fuck says "just kidding" one more time, I'm tempted to drive to their offices and strangle his idiot ass with an extension cord.  Their afternoon lineup is so sketchy I might get Finebaum or two fucking retarded Alabama fans (Bob Baumhower and Scott Hunter??) or some redneck cocksuckers babbling about NASCAR or some ancient doofuses cackling over croppie.  And I leave at about the same time every day, so I shouldn't have to figure out just what in the fuck they're going to play.  Whoever the station manager is must be utterly retarded. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 04:50:07 PM »
This brings up a great idea, lets make a little optical disc that plays music right through your car stereo...maybe we can call it a "CD"!  Or maybe we should develop a little device that you can store music on and you can play it through your car speakers.  You will be able to download any kind of music that you want to listen to, so then no one will bitch about what the radio is playing.... maybe we can call it an "IPOD".   Naw, there probably isn't a market for something like that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:57:07 PM by lifesapplepie »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 04:56:42 PM »
This brings up a great idea, lets make a little optical disc that plays music right through your car stereo...maybe we can call it a "CD"!  Or maybe, we should develop a little device that you can store music on and you can play it through your car speakers.  You will be able to download any kind of music so that no one bitches about what the radio is playing.... maybe we can call it an "IPOD".   Naw, there probably isn't a market for something like that.

Fuck all that, just put all the music in the world up in a cloud and call it "satellite radio" 

Douche bag....

Sometimes I'd like to listen to people talk about sports.  I like to hear what's going on at Auburn that's not filtered through the Chizo-meter here.  But I'd also like for it not to be coated with CrimpsonTurd juice or marinated in stupidity (Brien Straw).   

The few times I've heard Finebaum lately it's become a cartoon.  It's an absolute joke.  Charles?  Somebody whack that bastard.  It's the same dozen or so ignorant fucks calling every single day and they never have a damn thing to say worthwhile.  It's a complete joke.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 05:10:19 PM »

The few times I've heard Finebaum lately it's become a cartoon.  It's an absolute joke.  Charles?  Somebody whack that bastard.  It's the same dozen or so ignorant fucks calling every single day and they never have a damn thing to say worthwhile.  It's a complete joke.

I stopped listening to Finebaum a long time ago.  But, if I do tune in during a break on D and B, I find the show pretty humorous.  I honestly do not let that show get to me... The whole show is a fucking joke!  It just goes to show you how the fucking redneck bammers are entertained. Its all mindless fucking jibber jabber.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:11:49 PM by lifesapplepie »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 06:12:45 PM »
Kaos....it sounds like you have a radio business on your mind, one where you call the shots, you'd get to decide what you want everyone to hear.  Hmmm?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 07:47:47 PM »
Kaos....it sounds like you have a radio business on your mind, one where you call the shots, you'd get to decide what you want everyone to hear.  Hmmm?

Nope. 

I do think I could do as good a job as half the hack-ass fuckers I hear on talk radio.  I have no idea how most of these clowns get jobs.  Lex and Terry?  Good grief, they SUUUUUUUCK.  They are awful.  They're about as funny as herpes when you have it and not some other schmo. 

I also think I could do just fine programming a station to play music people like.  Don't see why a station has to fit a "genre"  Just play good music.  Doesn't matter if its from 1929, 1959 or 2009.

I did radio waaay back in high school.  Worked for a station that was country and then switched to rock. Did some news and filled in for the weekend DJ.  I'd run giveaways and my friends would always be the right caller.

But  do I want to run a radio station?  Nope. It's too much work. Always at the whim of the advertisers, always trying to outdo somebody else.  If I could have a Sirius or XM station to program, now I'd do that.
It would have everything from Sinatra to Barry White to Crue to Disturbed to George Jones to Black Eyed Peas to KISS playing on it. 

Or if we ever got a TigersX sports radio show, I'd do that too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 08:16:03 PM »
Wjox 94.5 has become on big fucking commercial! Why cant they just talk sports? Instead of using the Mcdonalds Im loving it hotline!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 08:25:13 PM »
Someone could start an independent rock radio station here in Birmingham and make bank...

except for the fact that they would have to jump through fucking extensive obstacles provided by the FCC, but if you have a little money, why not?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 10:52:51 PM »
was checking the ol facebook and saw an ad for 105.9 and i believe 98.3 "birmingham's new rock station" havent been in the truck yet to check it out.  Anyone else?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 05:58:45 PM »
Nope. 

I do think I could do as good a job as half the hack-ass fuckers I hear on talk radio.  I have no idea how most of these clowns get jobs.  Lex and Terry?  Good grief, they SUUUUUUUCK.  They are awful.  They're about as funny as herpes when you have it and not some other schmo. 

I also think I could do just fine programming a station to play music people like.  Don't see why a station has to fit a "genre"  Just play good music.  Doesn't matter if its from 1929, 1959 or 2009.

I did radio waaay back in high school.  Worked for a station that was country and then switched to rock. Did some news and filled in for the weekend DJ.  I'd run giveaways and my friends would always be the right caller.

But  do I want to run a radio station?  Nope. It's too much work. Always at the whim of the advertisers, always trying to outdo somebody else.  If I could have a Sirius or XM station to program, now I'd do that.
It would have everything from Sinatra to Barry White to Crue to Disturbed to George Jones to Black Eyed Peas to KISS playing on it. 

Or if we ever got a TigersX sports radio show, I'd do that too.
TigersX Sports Talk Radio Show would be freakin' saaweeet!!!  I'm guessing it would take a lot of mulla to get one up and running.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs