Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Yet another government run agency dying on the vine

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
Yet another government run agency dying on the vine
« on: June 15, 2009, 05:37:33 PM »
The same government people want to run our healthcare and car industry can't even deliver the mail without losing billions.

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2009/06/15/u-s-postal-system-rip.aspx

U.S. Postal Service: RIP
Posted Jun 15 2009, 06:05 AM by Douglas McIntyre Rating:  Filed under: Internet, Amazon
The U.S. Postal Service, which has been dying for years due to the advent of the fax, e-mail, and overnight delivery, may finally be close to its last act.

The agency lost nearly $2 billion in its last fiscal year and is faced with the serious consideration of cuts of up to 3,100 offices, potentially eliminating thousand of jobs. Media reports say that first class mail volumes are plunging.

What is killing and will probably eventually finish off the Post Office? In a word: “broadband,” the high-speed Internet system that the current Administration plans to build out in the next two years.

According to MarketWatch, the Postal Service is already looking at stopping Saturday delivery. The next moves will probably cut the number of weekdays the mail is dropped off, particularly outside urban areas where the cost of reaching homes and businesses spread over a wide geography is enormous.

Broadband has taken away the need for sending letters and may large documents. Broadband connections allow users to securely download encrypted files, some of which are the equivalent of thousands of pages of paper. The files can be sent and received in a few seconds compared with days to move them by mail.

Payment systems which wire transfer money have nearly eliminated the role of the check in paying bills. This will only increase as e-banking does.

Even the magazine and newspaper industries which relied on physical delivery systems for decades now use the Amazon (AMZN) Kindle as a way to get the printed word over the Internet and downloaded onto the device. Almost every major print product also has an Internet version. Sending magazines via mail is expensive. Cutting back on that form of delivery would be a blessing.

The modern postal system killed the pony express. The USPS could only last so long before it was itself replaced. That time has finally come.

Top Stocks blogger Douglas A. McIntyre is an editor at 24/7 Wall St.

Related articles:

Rebuilding financial regulation

A Double-dip recession

Does Bing worry Google?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: Yet another government run agency dying on the vine
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 05:45:26 PM »
I have always thought we should sell the post office to UPS or FedEx.  They already have the mechanism in place to deliver fast and quickly.  Some things, like original contracts, have to be - need to be - exchanged in true paper form, and FedEx is already my carrier of choice.

Now THAT is change I can believe in.

Only thing - where will all the mental defectives with an arsenal, a hair trigger finger and anger management issues gonna get a job now?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »
Good riddance to bad rubbish. Long overdue.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 06:40:38 PM »
How will Obama "SAVE" all of these jobs?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 07:26:55 AM »
I have always thought we should sell the post office to UPS or FedEx.  They already have the mechanism in place to deliver fast and quickly. 

Agreed but you will not see it under this administration because that is known as free market trade and that would be wrong.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:14:12 AM »
Only thing - where will all the mental defectives with an arsenal, a hair trigger finger and anger management issues gonna get a job now?

Local Gubmint.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.