Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

5* CB? Milliner

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
5* CB? Milliner
« on: June 05, 2009, 04:16:48 PM »
So I was watching these highlights...

And although this kid look really good in his uniform, I don't understand how he got the precious fifth star and how someone, who I didn't see play 1 FUCKING DOWN AT CB, got ranked the number 1 CB prospect in the nation.

I am not flaming this guy...he looks like a really good athlete. But he damn sure doesn't look like a corner. I can't see this kid looking up man on someone or even playing a bumb and run. What am I missing?

I also heard this dude didn't even make all-state last year. How is it that now he is the #1 prospect in the state? I admit...this video is all I am going by, and it looks like he can F L Y...but that's about it. Corners need quickness AND catch up speed. I think it will be interesting to see what this guy really plays when he gets to UA. I am guessing free safety...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: 5* CB? Milliner
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 04:28:21 PM »
IMO, he's not a Defensive player.  He's a Slot WR/KR/PR.  I am not that impressed and I don't feel that he should be listed as a CB, because it is glaringly obvious that he's the type of player that you should have as an Offensive player and someone you should get the ball to.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

JR4AU

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 04:33:10 PM »
I don't know...he's listed as a CB, not an Ath.  About CB highlights, there's usually not too many...if he is really a great CB he probably didn't have the ball thrown his way a whole lot.  But he appears to be an either side of the ball type guy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 04:58:51 PM »
I don't know...he's listed as a CB, not an Ath.  About CB highlights, there's usually not too many...if he is really a great CB he probably didn't have the ball thrown his way a whole lot.  But he appears to be an either side of the ball type guy. 

Did you watch the tape? My point is...HE DOESN'T EVEN PLAY CB...How the flying fuck can you be the number 1 rated player at a position...AND NOT EVEN PLAY IT IN HS???
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 05:14:09 PM »
Did you watch the tape? My point is...HE DOESN'T EVEN PLAY CB...How the flying fuck can you be the number 1 rated player at a position...AND NOT EVEN PLAY IT IN HS???

Because he's a bammer commit listed that way on a bammer run site.  ESPN has him as an Ath.  But even they say he might project better as a cover corner at the next level.  Probably due to him not having safety size, or being great in run support, but has good coverage skills.  He's built more like a CB. 

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=69787&season=2010&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d69787%26season%3d2010
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 05:40:35 PM »
WAR EAGLE!!!  This isn't the first time that this kind of thing happened.  Rubin Randle was the 2nd best player in the country and best wide receiver and he didn't play a down as wide receiver his senior year of high school.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 05:51:07 PM »
Matt Jones was taken in the first round in the NFL draft as a WR. He played QB for us.
Our old coach Broyles liked to snag HS QBs. His philosophy was the QB was usually a smart kid and a good athlete. He plugged them into various positions if they weren't one of the better QBs on the team.
Lance Alworth was another. He played all over the place in High school and college. He was a wide receiver in the pros. A pretty good one, too.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:58:07 PM by boartitz »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:56:57 PM »
WAR EAGLE!!!  This isn't the first time that this kind of thing happened.  Rubin Randle was the 2nd best player in the country and best wide receiver and he didn't play a down as wide receiver his senior year of high school.
Yes, but, he did play at the WR position during his High School career.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Birmingham

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 06:59:04 PM »
Yes, but, he did play at the WR position during his High School career.

Prowler, I was stating that this wasn't a completely unique situation.  That there is more to the evaluation that absolute stats at a particular position that goes into consideration and in this case, like Rubin Randle and Matt Jones, they showed an athletic ability that gave them the ranking that they ultimately ended up with.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 11:37:46 PM »
I understand what you are saying Ham...and like I said, I think he looks like a really good athlete. Why is he projecting so high as CB though? He looks more like a safety. He is a big kid and I didn't see anything on film that says he could be a stud corner. However, that clip above is all I have seen...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 04:26:14 PM »
I look at that video and hope that he sees some special teams or offense.  Saban's such a defense whore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 05:13:17 PM »
He's a camp freak.  Rivals is notorious for boosting a prospect's rating and ranking based on camp performances.  I'm surprised no one has mentioned that he wasn't even in the top 100 until he was judged by stopwatches at the Vestavia camp. 

Face it - it's very rare to find a 6'2 180 17 year old who can post consistent 4.3 40 times.  Not to mention, the kid looks like he'll have room to grow (as his Bammer coach has pointed out).  He could possibly be 6'2-6'3 at 200-210 pounds running legit 4.4 speed when he gets to college.  No, that's not a guaranteed football star, but if he can learn the game, he'll be a tremendous asset. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 01:33:09 PM »
He's a camp freak.  Rivals is notorious for boosting a prospect's rating and ranking based on camp performances.  I'm surprised no one has mentioned that he wasn't even in the top 100 until he was judged by stopwatches at the Vestavia camp.

Agreed. I was actually about to make that point. The dude goes gang busters in camps, and if I'm not mistaken, he has lined up at DB in some of those, and played fantastic.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Roll Tide Bitch!

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 11:00:53 AM »
I believe Rivals lists them at what position they project at or what position they are being recruited primarily for in college if they play like 2 positions. If they play say RB, WR, QB, CB, or some multiple of positions, they make the Athlete category. For example, Cade Foster is a LB and a kicker for his team. He is being recruited as a kicker, so thats what they listed him as. Milliner had 57 tackles and 7 INTs as a JR, so apparently he does play the position. Just because Rivals has one film of him up doesn't mean that is the only film that exists.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 11:11:40 AM »
I believe Rivals lists them at what position they project at or what position they are being recruited primarily for in college if they play like 2 positions. If they play say RB, WR, QB, CB, or some multiple of positions, they make the Athlete category. For example, Cade Foster is a LB and a kicker for his team. He is being recruited as a kicker, so thats what they listed him as. Milliner had 57 tackles and 7 INTs as a JR, so apparently he does play the position. Just because Rivals has one film of him up doesn't mean that is the only film that exists.

He plays safety.  I think his coach has said that Milliner has never played the CB position in a game. 

Cornerback is one of the only positions where I think experience is vital.  QB and center are the other two.  Awareness and ability to react is the cornerback's bread and butter.  That takes some time. 

A guy like Rueban Randle is big, strong, insanely fast, and can catch anything thrown to him.  It's obvious he can be productive at the WR position.  I had no problem with him being the #1 WR in the country last year despite playing QB his senior year. 

I think Milliner has a chance to be a great football player, but it'll be a few years until he gets playing time.  To me, 5 star guys are the ones who can come in and contribute at their primary position immediately. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 11:14:26 AM »
He plays safety.  I think his coach has said that Milliner has never played the CB position in a game.  

Cornerback is one of the only positions where I think experience is vital.  QB and center are the other two.  Awareness and ability to react is the cornerback's bread and butter.  That takes some time.  

A guy like Rueban Randle is big, strong, insanely fast, and can catch anything thrown to him.  It's obvious he can be productive at the WR position.  I had no problem with him being the #1 WR in the country last year despite playing QB his senior year.  

I think Milliner has a chance to be a great football player, but it'll be a few years until he gets playing time.  To me, 5 star guys are the ones who can come in and contribute at their primary position immediately.  
If he were listed as Athlete, would he still be undeserving of a fifth star? From the articles I have read, they all say that he has shown incredible skill and showed natural cover corner ability at different combines and 7-on-7 camps. I understand what you're saying, and I'm not saying you're flat out wrong. My point is the kid is a baller, no matter what.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:21:54 AM by runswithscissors »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 11:27:32 AM »
If he were listed as Athlete, would he still be undeserving of a fifth star? From the articles I have read, they all say that he has shown incredible skill and showed natural cover corner ability at different combines and 7-on-7 camps. I understand what you're saying, and I'm not saying you're flat out wrong. My point is the kid is a baller, no matter what.

Actually, my opinion on the ATH prospect is that they should all be four stars.  The only exceptions are the RB/WR combo like Reggie Bush or Percy Harvin.  Usually those guys get labeled as a RB or WR, but in reality, they were both.  The other exception is if the guy is good enough to be a starting return man. 

No doubt the kid is going to be good, but hasn't Lamarcus Joyner played the CB position his whole high school career?  How is a kid with similar athletic ability with experience ranked lower?  Then again, I have my opinions on 5'8 corners as well.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2009, 01:07:18 PM »
Then again, I have my opinions on 5'8 corners as well.....
Javier Arenas. Although I realize he's probably one of the exceptions, and not the rule.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions