Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tyrik Rollison Recruiting Better Than Tuberville The Last Few Years

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/ufblog/entries/2009/03/26/auburn_freshman_using_the_powe.html

Home  >  Inside UF  >  Archives  >  2009 > March > 26 > Entry
Auburn freshman using the power of Facebook to recruit for the Tigers

By Ben Volin | Thursday, March 26, 2009, 02:28 PM

Auburn freshman quarterback Tyrik Rollison is making life a lot easier for new coach Gene Chizik on the recruiting front.

Rollison, a four-star quarterback prospect from Sulphur Springs, Texas who will join the Tigers this fall, utilized the far-reaching power of Facebook Wednesday to try to bring former Michigan receiver Toney Clemons to Auburn.

“”He is no longer with Michigan and is looking for a new place to ball,” Rollison wrote in a public note on Facebook. “We could use him at WR and I was asking for your help. Send him a message saying how much Auburn could use and how much you would like to see him on our squad. Anything from the heart will go a long way. Thanks for the help.”

Rollison also posted Clemons’ Facebook page, a photo and a video of Clemons’ high school highlights.

High school photo of Toney Clemons

Clemens, a 6-foot-3, 205-pound receiver from the Pittsburgh area, was the No. 10-ranked receiver prospect by Scout.com for the class of 2007 and is the cousin of former Michigan receiver and current Arizona Cardinal Steve Breaston

Clemens had 11 catches for 101 yards and zero touchdowns in 2008. He announced Tuesday he is leaving Ann Arbor with two years of eligibility remaining.

Rollison posted his note around 12:30 p.m. today, and within two hours had 20-plus Auburn fans on board.

“Attaboy Ty, recruit your heart out!” one fan wrote.

“Big Toney, we are ready for you big man. Come be a Tiger. The fans will show you much love,” another fan wrote.

Clemons received so much support he wrote a note to Rollison and War Eagle Nation that was half thank you letter, half plea to Chizik to bring him aboard.

“I want to thank you all for the support,” he wrote. “It means alot to me to know there are people that dont truly know me to have my back and welcome and wish me well. I am seriously looking into Auburn and I have plans of contacting the university to see what the interest level and situation would be for me there. I have no problem competing with the best talent daily to win and keep a job and I have no aspirations of going into a situation where things would be easy for me because competition within a program is what truly makes a player better and I know Auburn has that on both sides of the ball. I just want the opportunity to be able to showcase my skills in a manner that will benefit me and the program that I am involved with. Thanks again.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Re: Tyrik Rollison Recruiting Better Than Tuberville The Last Few Years
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
Fucking awesome, we need a penis movement emoticon.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:25:14 PM »
Fucking awesome, we need a penis movement emoticon.
maybe something like this......... :bowl:  LOL
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 03:19:47 PM »
Wasn't this posted like 6 weeks ago here? Also, what is with running down Tubs? You make it sound like he didn't do shit for the university the past couple of years...

I understand posting this but why run down Tubs? If you worship Chizik, do you have to hate Tuberville?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 03:42:41 PM »
Wasn't this posted like 6 weeks ago here? Also, what is with running down Tubs? You make it sound like he didn't do shit for the university the past couple of years...

I understand posting this but why run down Tubs? If you worship Chizik, do you have to hate Tuberville?
I never saw it here.

I don't worship Chizik.

I do think Tubs had gone stale in the last year or two. To compact this, everyone acting as if Tubs was some infallible God, and everything Chizik's done so far pales in comparison to what "Tubs woulda done" is  :puke: ish and sounds like bammers talking about how "Bahr woulda done it".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 03:53:35 PM »
I'm not going into the whole Tuberville thing again other than to say, I liked the guy.  I was seriously pumped back when Auburn hired him and loved how he always represented the University.  He did great things at Auburn but things were beginning to unravel the last year or two and all the mistakes were magnified 100X by the positive things going on across the State.

Bottom line for me, and I think the point of the thread title, is that we haven't seen this type of thing on the recruiting front in some time.  Chizik and his staff..and now the players...are doing aggressive, innovative things to reach recruits and get some big time guys to look at Auburn.  That just wasn't happening under CTT the last couple of years and it seemed like every time we turned around, Saban was at some kids school, his game, doing some video conference that skirted the rules etc.  

I'm not downing Tubs, just happy to see the excitement for a change.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 04:38:05 PM »
I'm not going into the whole Tuberville thing again other than to say, I liked the guy.  I was seriously pumped back when Auburn hired him and loved how he always represented the University.  He did great things at Auburn but things were beginning to unravel the last year or two and all the mistakes were magnified 100X by the positive things going on across the State.

Bottom line for me, and I think the point of the thread title, is that we haven't seen this type of thing on the recruiting front in some time.  Chizik and his staff..and now the players...are doing aggressive, innovative things to reach recruits and get some big time guys to look at Auburn.  That just wasn't happening under CTT the last couple of years and it seemed like every time we turned around, Saban was at some kids school, his game, doing some video conference that skirted the rules etc.  

Harumph Harumph
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 04:45:31 PM »
Harumph Harumph

I think Ricolla makes a cough drop for that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 04:50:52 PM »

Thanks for articulating that better than I could.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 05:02:52 PM »

100% agree! But the title makes people think Tubby didn't do shit IMO. I was not bothered one bit when Tubs left. Not one bit. Matter of fact, I said something had been missing over the last couple of years when Tubs was here. But now that he is gone, I don't understand why you would even bring his name in the discussion. It makes us look like we are making excuses for the past couple of years. Tubs is gone. Chizik is the man. I just think we should focus on the positive things that are happening now instead of making excuses for the past.

And I really feel like some people do have the Chizik/Dye vs Tubs attitude...and that if you like one, you can't like the other. I am appreciative of what Tubs did for our program. And I was also fine that his era is over and Auburn brings in new excitement. I just don't like the fact that Tubs name has to be brought down in the process...that's all I am saying...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 05:06:43 PM »
100% agree! But the title makes people think Tubby didn't do shit IMO. I was not bothered one bit when Tubs left. Not one bit. Matter of fact, I said something had been missing over the last couple of years when Tubs was here. But now that he is gone, I don't understand why you would even bring his name in the discussion. It makes us look like we are making excuses for the past couple of years. Tubs is gone. Chizik is the man. I just think we should focus on the positive things that are happening now instead of making excuses for the past.

And I really feel like some people do have the Chizik/Dye vs Tubs attitude...and that if you like one, you can't like the other. I am appreciative of what Tubs did for our program. And I was also fine that his era is over and Auburn brings in new excitement. I just don't like the fact that Tubs name has to be brought down in the process...that's all I am saying...
I agree with you 100%. I wasn't trying to shit on Tubs there. Hence the "Last few years" portion of the title. I also didn't expect it to be analyzed in such a way...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 05:58:16 PM »
I agree with you 100%. I wasn't trying to shit on Tubs there. Hence the "Last few years" portion of the title. I also didn't expect it to be analyzed in such a way...

We're breakin' you down, bitch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 09:02:03 PM »
Take it from someone who worked there - Tuberville quit recruiting when he got that 2007 class.  I'm not saying it was the sole reason for the 5-7 season, but Tubs disappeared in the recruiting office.  He was once VERY active.  I think he saw Kodi Burns and Co. as a solid base for a few years.  Perhaps he never planned on staying past Kodi's AU tenure.  Who knows? 

I hope Tyrik can get a few guys to come to AU.  We'll need all the offensive weapons we can get over the next few years. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 10:15:18 PM »
Take it from someone who worked there - Tuberville quit recruiting when he got that 2007 class.  I'm not saying it was the sole reason for the 5-7 season, but Tubs disappeared in the recruiting office.  He was once VERY active.  I think he saw Kodi Burns and Co. as a solid base for a few years.  Perhaps he never planned on staying past Kodi's AU tenure.  Who knows? 

I hope Tyrik can get a few guys to come to AU.  We'll need all the offensive weapons we can get over the next few years. 

THS, having been there, done that..can you give us a little insight into what goes on recruiting wise around campus?  You mentioned a "Recruiting office".  Is there an area of the athletic complex designated for that...a War Room, if you will?  What's a typical day for a recruit that takes an official visit to campus and are the hosts aware of who is a big time prospect?  Different treatment?

Enquiring minds (Well, mine anyway) want to know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 02:41:57 AM »
I do think Tubs had gone stale in the last year or two.

This is bullshit and revisionist history.  The class with Burns, etc. was considered one of his best. 

The "staleness" is one year -- 2008 -- and stale only in comparison to what Alabama was supposedly doing. 

2008 class ranked 20th *
2007 class ranked 7th
2006 class ranked 10th
2005 class ranked 13th
2004 class ranked 21st (after the firing fiasco)
2003 class ranked 11th
2002 class ranked 6th

Yeah, he'd REALLY fallen off the last few years.  What the fuck ever.  I'm sick of this shit. 

*Rivals rankings
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 06:03:14 AM »
Nope.  He had pretty much locked up his 2009 when he walked.  That class, as it stood, was going to be about the worst one he'd signed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 08:58:57 AM »
I thought I read over on woopig about a kid (average joe fan, I believe) getting in trouble for using facebook to contact recruits and attempt to woo them. 

Hmm...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 10:18:25 AM »

This is bullshit and revisionist history.  The class with Burns, etc. was considered one of his best. 

The "staleness" is one year -- 2008 -- and stale only in comparison to what Alabama was supposedly doing. 

2008 class ranked 20th *
2007 class ranked 7th
2006 class ranked 10th
2005 class ranked 13th
2004 class ranked 21st (after the firing fiasco)
2003 class ranked 11th
2002 class ranked 6th

Yeah, he'd REALLY fallen off the last few years.  What the fuck ever.  I'm sick of this shit. 

*Rivals rankings
As Harvey pointed out, 2008 & 2009 = "past year or two".

Not only this, but nowhere in my statement did I say his "staleness" was exclusively in the recruiting department.

The it's being generous to describe downward decline in wins since 04 that spiraled into freefall in 08 as "going stale in the last year or two".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:20:42 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

boartitz

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 09:37:37 PM »
I thought I read over on woopig about a kid (average joe fan, I believe) getting in trouble for using facebook to contact recruits and attempt to woo them. 

Hmm...
I thought I heard that if you didn't post on ***kx , you weren't shit. :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 11:18:52 PM »
I thought I heard that if you didn't post on ***kx , you weren't shit. :)
What if you posted for a few weeks and then got tired of it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions