Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Vandy Series

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Vandy Series
« on: March 28, 2009, 09:14:53 AM »
We fucking suck...........again.

22 freaking hits? Seriously?

For the first four-and-a-half innings Friday night, Auburn and Vanderbilt squared off in a classic Friday-night Southeastern Conference pitching duel but by the time the night was over, Vanderbilt was able to walk away with a 12-3 win at Plainsman Park.

"All losses are disappointing, obviously. You put the uniform on and you want to have an opportunity to play and win, but when you lose and you lose in the fashion we lost, it's very disappointing for the way we lost," Auburn Head Coach John Pawlowski said. "We jumped out there and had a three-run lead but then we made some mistakes and gave it right back. We gave up 22 hits and we only had five hits. We have to make some adjustments offensively too."

Grant Dayton (2-3) suffered a second consecutive loss for the first time in his career as he allowed four runs on 10 hits in six innings, striking out four before giving way to the bullpen, which was tagged for eight runs on 12 hits in three innings.

Vanderbilt's Mike Minor (2-2) lived up to the billing as the Vanderbilt ace as he fanned 11 in seven innings, allowing three fifth-inning runs, while scattering five hits and two walks.

Vanderbilt (17-8, 3-4 SEC) pounded out 22 hits on the night, 20 of which were singles and 17 of which came from the sixth-inning on, which is also when it scored all 12 of its runs for the night.

With the two Friday-night aces combining to hold the opposing hitters to just seven total hits through four-and-a-half innings, Auburn (16-9, 2-5 SEC) was able to strike for three runs in the bottom of the fifth on two hits and two walks and a Vanderbilt error. Casey McElroy and Tony Caldwell drew back-to-back one-out walks before a Wes Gilmer single to right loaded the bases. A RBI single by Justin Hargett put Auburn ahead, 1-0, and kept the bases loaded for Trent Mummey, who went to first on catcher's interference on Vanderbilt backstop Drew Fann to up the lead to 2-0. Joseph Sanders' sac fly to center scored another and gave Dayton what appeared to be a sizeable lead with the way he had pitched over the first five frames.

The lead was short lived as Vanderbilt answered with four runs in the top of the sixth. Curt Casali drew a one-out walk and went to second on Aaron Westlake's single back up the middle. An Andrew Giobbi single scored Casali from second, who drew a throw on his way home. With one run already in and the throw in Caldwell's hands behind the plate, Westlake and Giobbi found themselves both heading toward second, drawing a return throw from Caldwell that went into center, allowing both runners to race home to tie the game at 3-3.

The scoring was not over in the inning as Joe Loftus singled to right, went to third on Jason Esposito's single to right and came home on Fann's bunt single back to the mound with the runners going to put Vanderbilt up, 4-3, essentially knocking Dayton out of the game.

Rus Harper relieved Dayton and allowed a home run to the first man he faced in Steven Liddle and a single to Casali before giving way to Zach Blatt, who surrendered a single to Westlake before getting Giobbi to fly out to center, allowing Casali to advance to third. With runners on first and second, Vanderbilt put the delayed steal on, coaxing Caldwell into a throw to second, allowing Casali to steal home to go up, 6-3. Esposito's single left scored Westlake to make it 7-3.

Blatt continued on into the eight and allowed another three runs on a walk and three singles before being lifted in favor of Chris O'Neil, who threw the final 1 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on four hits.

Auburn will attempt to even the series at a game each at 3pm CT on Saturday when it sends R-Fr. RHP Jon Luke Jacobs 2-0, 4.97 ERA) to the mound against Vanderbilt So. RHP Caleb Cotham (3-2, 3.90).

Vanderbilt 12, Auburn 3 (Mar 27, 2009 at Auburn, Ala.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Vanderbilt.......... 000 004 332 - 12 22 1 (17-8, 3-4 SEC)
Auburn.............. 000 030 000 - 3 5 1 (16-9, 2-5 SEC)

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
Re: Vandy Series
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 07:38:27 PM »
The Tigers come back and take the last 2 games and the series.

Five Long Balls Lead Auburn To 11-10, Series-Clinching Win Over Vanderbilt
Hunter Morris finishes the day 3-for-5 with two doubles and a home run, driving in two

AUBURN, Ala. - Auburn connected for five home runs, accounting for eight of the team's 11 runs, as Auburn claimed its second SEC series victory of the season with an 11-10 win over Vanderbilt on Sunday afternoon at Plainsman Park. Hunter Morris finished the day 3-for-5 at the plate with two doubles and one of Auburn's homers, driving in two runs and scoring two more.

The win improved Auburn's record to 18-9, 4-5 SEC while Vanderbilt dropped to 17-10, 3-6 SEC.

"You look back at every run that was scored and when it comes right down to it, in college baseball you are never out of a ballgame and we needed every run we could get today," Auburn Head Coach John Pawlowski said. "After losing Friday we responded and won a close game yesterday and what turned out to be a close ballgame today."

Taylor Thompson (2-1) earned his second win in as many starts this season, taking the ball into the fifth and allowing four runs on six hits and two walks, striking out two before turning it over to the bullpen, which kept the game interesting by allowing six runs on nine hits and a walk in four innings of work by three pitchers.

"I felt like I had all of my stuff today; I was able to spot my fastball and I had great offensive support behind me," Thompson said. "It's always a confidence booster to get a win."

Trent Mummey, Kevin Patterson, Brian Fletcher, Justin Hargett and Morris each connected for home runs in the game, bringing the season total up to 58 on the year, which ties the 2008 team for seventh on the home runs list in a single season. The five-homer game was the ninth in Auburn history and the second this year as Auburn has now had 18 multi-homer games this season.

"Everyone put good swings on the ball today. We have some strong guys with really good swings and we have proven that we are going to hit balls out of the yard, but I don't think anyone here has really tried to do that," Morris said.

Auburn took a 1-0 lead in the first on Tony Caldwell's RBI single, which scored Morris from second and then went up 3-0 in the second on Mummey's 11th home run of the season, a shot to the scoreboard in left-center, tying him with Joseph Sanders for the team lead. Auburn has now out-scored its opponents 59-19 over the first two innings of games.

Vanderbilt cut the lead to a run at 3-2 in the fourth off of Thompson as Joe Loftus lofted a two-run home run over the wall in left only to be matched by Auburn in the bottom half of the inning as Patterson hit a one-out home run to right-center and Hargett walked and scored on a Joseph Sanders infield single to put Auburn back up by three, 5-2.

Brian Fletcher's seventh home run of the year made the cushion five runs at 7-2 as he sent a 2-0 pitch back out to left with Ben Jones on first after drawing a one-out walk.

Vanderbilt was again able to cut into the Auburn lead, scoring three times in the top of the sixth, knocking Thompson out of the game while facing three Auburn pitchers in the inning. Thompson allowed a leadoff single to Steven Liddle and then walked Curt Casali, ending his day. Chris O'Neil faced just one hitter out of the bullpen, allowing a double to Aaron Westlake before giving way to Michael Hurst. Hurst coaxed Andrew Giobbi into a RBI groundout for the first out of the inning and then fanned Loftus before Jason Esposito's single scored Westlake to make it a 7-5 game.

Auburn answered Vanderbilt's three runs in the top of the sixth with three in the bottom half as Hargett led off the inning with his third home run of the year before Morris scored two more with his sixth blast of the season, a two-run shot that also scored Sanders to make it 10-5.

After a scoreless seventh for both sides, Vanderbilt was again able to chip into Auburn's lead, scoring a single run on Espositp's one-out RBI double that scored Westlake only to have Auburn answer and score what would turn out to be a crucial run in the bottom of the inning. Trent Mummey drew a one-out walk, stole second and third and scored on Caldwell's RBI single to left to give Auburn what seemed like a comfortable five-run lead with Austin Hubbard on the mound.

Vanderbilt would not go down easily in the ninth, however, scoring four times after two outs were made in the inning. Liddle and Curt Casali hit back-to-back doubles and Westlake hit a RBI single, bringing Giobbi to the plate. The right fielder connected on a 0-1 pitch for his first home run of the year to make it a one-run game with Loftus coming to the plate. The left fielder, who had hommered in the fourth, saw two Hubbard pitches before grounding out to short to end the game.

Caldwell finished the day 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI while Sanders was also 2-for-4 with a double, a walk and a RBI. Mummey was 1-for-4 with a walk and two RBI, scoring twice to bring his season total up to 44 on the season, which is five shy of his freshman-year tally of 49 in 53 games.

The series victory was the first SEC series in which Auburn lost the opener and rebounded to win the next two since doing it to Kentucky in the third series of the 2006 season. It was also Auburn's first series win over Vanderbilt since 2002.

Auburn returns to the diamond on Tuesday night in Mobile at 6pm CT when it faces South Alabama at Stanky Field.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 10:12:32 PM »
Nice shot in the arm.  An abysmal series against the Hawgs but when it's said and done, they've taken 2 out of 3 SEC series so far.  Far better than where we ever were under Slater.  Hope!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:00:55 AM »
Nice shot in the arm.  An abysmal series against the Hawgs but when it's said and done, they've taken 2 out of 3 SEC series so far.  Far better than where we ever were under Slater.  Hope!!!

Agreed. I was getting worried after the 4 game slide, but if we keep winning series, we will be fine. Hope!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions