Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

A-Roid at it again

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
A-Roid at it again
« on: February 26, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »
He doesn't care about shit, because he knows he'll still get to play.  I still find it ironic and mildly cocky that he hopped in the car of his steroid provider.

A-Rod’s wild ride begins with a bang
By Gordon Edes, Yahoo! Sports
Feb 25, 5:29 pm EST

DUNEDIN, Fla. – Naturally (presumably in every sense of the word), Alex Rodriguez hit a home run in the New York Yankees’ first exhibition game of the spring on Wednesday afternoon.

“This is what I do – I know how to play baseball,” said Rodriguez, who walked in his first at-bat, then hit a home run over the left-center field fence off Toronto Blue Jays rookie left-hander Ricky Romero in the Yankees’ 6-1 win. “I just hope this is the start of something special for this year. I feel really good about our team.”

Rodriguez, who had heard a mix of boos and cheers and the predictable catcalls (“A-Rod, where’s your cousin?” “Madonna!”) on his first at-bat, circled the bases to a standing ovation from the majority of the 5,014 in Dunedin Stadium, where there was not an “A-Roid” sign in sight, though one fan was spotted wearing an “A-Fraud” T-shirt.

But Rodriguez’s home run was overshadowed by his departure. The New York Post spotted him being picked up in a burgundy SUV by Yuri Sucart, the cousin who has been identified as the person Rodriguez claimed had injected him with “boli,” the street name for the steroid Primobolan, over a three-year period from 2001-03. Sucart has not spoken with reporters since he was named in connection with Rodriguez’s steroid use.

It was a brazen act, under the circumstances, for Rodriguez, who is still waiting to be questioned by Major League Baseball investigators in connection with his steroid use. That interview could take place any day.

The Yankees’ third baseman had braced for a much rougher reception in his first game since being exposed as a steroid user. But with Yankee fans well represented and an abundance of well-mannered Canadians, Rodriguez came away pleasantly surprised.

“I thought the fans were OK,” he said. “I’d like to invite a bunch of them to Fenway this season.

“You’ve got to understand, it’s been a decade like that [of being booed]. Today was very mild.”

Rodriguez also walked in his final at-bat before being replaced before the bottom of the fifth by Kevin Russo, a non-roster player, No. 76 in your program.

After meeting for a few minutes with reporters outside the visitors’ clubhouse, Rodriguez, wearing a stylish red and black sweatsuit, jogged to a fence where fans eagerly held up photos and pads and baseballs for him to sign.

“I’m just excited to be playing baseball,” he said. “Everything else is confusing, but baseball is what I feel best and is what I do and what I get paid to do. I’m just happy to be doing it again.”

Rodriguez said he’d had dinner the night before with Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson, who was here in his capacity as a special adviser. With 563 home runs, Jackson ranks 11th all-time, 10 homers ahead of A-Rod, who is 12th.

“I think Reggie was booing the loudest,” Rodriguez cracked.

Jackson did tell reporters he was “disappointed” when he learned of A-Rod’s steroids use.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ge-arod022509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: A-Roid at it again
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 06:52:20 PM »
Stop being so judgemental.  A-Roid...I mean, Alex, is just trying to be a mentor to this guy and help show him the error of his ways.  How can he do that unless he gets up close and personal?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 08:53:42 PM »
It's good to see A-Raid has changed :clap:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »
I guess alls I got to say is that if I can change, and you can change, then we all can change.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 11:49:41 AM »
And now the cousin is banned from Spring Training Camp AND from the entire team.  Rodriguez sees the error of his ways.  How laughable has this guy become?  MLB and the GM of the NYY damn sure jumped on this one quickly...

A-Rod’s cousin is Yankees’ black sheep
By Gordon Edes, Yahoo! Sports
TAMPA, Fla. – Blood is not thicker than pinstripes.

The next time Alex Rodriguez needs a ride from the ballpark, he’ll have to flag down someone besides his cousin.

The New York Yankees have informed Rodriguez that there is a price to be paid for claiming that a cousin supplied and injected him with performance-enhancing drugs that led to a failed steroids test. Rodriguez was told by the club that he is to keep the cousin, identified in previous news reports as Yuri Sucart, away from the team, according to a baseball official with knowledge of the team’s orders. That edict came down after Sucart was spotted picking up Rodriguez at Dunedin Stadium in a burgundy SUV following the team’s first exhibition game Wednesday.

Rodriguez, who is scheduled to be interviewed shortly by MLB investigators looking into his steroids use, had little to say on the matter after Thursday’s game at Steinbrenner Field against the Tampa Bay Rays. Neither did GM Brian Cashman, nor manager Joe Girardi.

Cashman: “It’s been handled.”

Rodriguez, when told of Cashman’s comment: “It’s been addressed, and no further comment.”

Girardi: “That situation has been addressed, and I’ll just leave it at that.”

According to The Associated Press, Rodriguez admitted that having Sucart pick him up after Wednesday’s game was a mistake. What should have been positive Rodriguez coverage – he hit a home run in his second spring at-bat – instead focused on Sucart, who has not been heard from publicly since Rodriguez said in a press conference that his cousin injected him for a three-year period with a drug known as “boli” in the Dominican Republic.

Presumably, the Yankees cannot prevent Sucart from acquiring a ticket to any game in which the Yankees play – security personnel at Steinbrenner Field are not expected to be given “wanted” posters with Sucart’s picture – but the Yankees made it clear they do not want to see the men together around the club this spring and during the season, the official said.

Rodriguez heard more boos Thursday, when the Yankees made their spring home debut, than he had the day before.

“Maybe because there were a lot of Tampa Bay fans here, Girardi said, “because we are in their city. And there was a bigger crowd. Either way, it was a little louder.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Arse8v8q5k26pASIUcNj1W4RvLYF?slug=ge-notebook022609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions