Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Different year, different coach, same story

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Different year, different coach, same story
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:06:14 AM »
Elon. FUCKING ELON takes 2 of 3 from the Tigers.

AUBURN, Ala. - Hunter Morris connected for his first two home runs of the year but in a repeat of Saturday's loss in which Trent Mummey hit two homers, it wasn't enough to carry Auburn to a win as it fell, 9-8, in its series finale with Elon on Sunday. Morris had just two hits in the first two games of the series but finished Sunday's game 3-for-5 with four RBI.

"We had a couple of opportunities. We were up four early and we let them back in the ballgame and then we held the lead again and we just had a hard time holding them down. (Elon) swung the bats and came right back at us," Auburn Head Coach John Pawlowski said. "We had some opportunities too offensively. If we get one hit here or one big hit there, it opens the game up, but we didn't do that."

With Auburn leading 7-5 entering the top of the eighth, Elon was able to score four runs off of Auburn relievers Taylor Thompson (0-1) and Austin Hubbard. Thompson allowed three straight hits to open the inning before giving way to Hubbard, who served up a first-pitch three-run home run to Bennett Davis as Elon snatched back the lead at 9-7.

Auburn (1-2) was able to put men at second and third with just one down in the ninth after Morris' lead-off home got Auburn to within a run at 9-8 but Elon closer Thomas Girdwood struck out Wes Gilmer looking and Justin Hargett swinging to shut down the Auburn comeback.

Auburn had taken a 4-0 lead in the third as Joseph Sanders singled in Mummey from second and Morris cleared the wall in right a hitter later for his first home run of the year. Kevin Patterson then reached on a two-base error and came home on Casey McElroy's single through the right side.

Elon (2-1) responded with three in the fifth to knock Auburn starter Paul Burnside out of the game and get within a run at 4-3. It originally looked like it was going to be a tie game as Elon's Harrilchak hit a two-run homer and then Davis hit a ball over the wall in center with one on, but with Mummey crashing into the wall trying to make a play, Davis passed Pat Irvine rounding the bases, making it a long single that resulted in an RBI and an out instead of a two-run home run.

Elon would take a 5-4 lead sixth on Harrilchak's RBI single and a Mike Lobacz bases-loaded walk only to allow Auburn to score three runs in the bottom of the seventh for a 7-5 lead. Morris, Brian Fletcher and Patterson all delivered RBI singles in the inning for Auburn.

Thompson was tagged for three runs on three hits in 1.1 innings in his first appearance of the year to suffer the loss.

Harrilchak did not factor into the decision despite lasting into the seventh and striking out five. He was also 3-for-4 with two walks at the plate, scoring three runs and driving in another three.

Ryan Adams (1-0) picked up the win in relief for Elon, throwing a scoreless 1.1 innings.

After collecting just six hits on Saturday, Auburn had a weekend-high 13 on Sunday with the top four hitters in the order (Mummey, Sanders, Morris and Fletcher) finishing 10-for-18 with seven runs and six RBI.

Auburn remains at home for Tuesday's 3pm contest against Lipscomb.

Elon 9, Auburn 8 (Feb 22, 2009 at Auburn, Ala.)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Elon................ 000 032 040 - 9 12 2 (2-1)
Auburn.............. 004 000 301 - 8 13 1 (1-2)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Different year, different coach, same story
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 11:01:48 AM »
Losing a series to Elon to kick off the season. 

Good start.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:58:06 AM »
a good follow up to the weekend would be a lost to lipscomb. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 12:25:01 PM »
a good follow up to the weekend would be a lost to lipscomb. 

I feel like they can do it. Let's stay positive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 02:55:52 PM »
Hey, Elon is a fucking powerhou...nevermind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 03:36:17 PM »
Hey, Elon is a fucking powerhou...nevermind.

Yeah, those mighty Elon...uumm...Matadors?  Uh, Penguins? The Elon...Armadillos?  Hippos..No, no, no not Hippos.  Uumm..Fighting Hares? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Aubie16

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »
Elon actually did make a regional last year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Auburn is so much more than a city, school, team, or degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are."

1913 | 1914 | 1957 | 1958 | 1993 | 2004 | 2010