Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

QB's From the State of Texas

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: QB's From the State of Texas
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2009, 04:58:02 PM »
The "true playmakers" want to go wherever they can play on the biggest stage, with the most coverage and for the biggest prizes.

The last 3 BCS champs have been SEC teams. 

How many kids from Texas on their rosters?  I mean, they couldn't have made it without that Texas infusion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2009, 04:58:44 PM »
You're so wrong about this.  

You see, Chop, despite your perception I don't care about YOU.  I mean no offense in that, it's just that I don't concern myself with how you're going to react or what you're doing. I only care about the discussion and how its crafted.  

Everything, Chop, is NOT about YOU no matter how many dramatic affirmations you post, how many new versions appear or how many mea culpas you issue.  

I confess that I enjoy mocking the drama. It provides me with brief interludes of humor that break up the day's monotony.  But if you'll note, I never mock you, I only mock the drama.  I'm grateful that you provide it.

Yawn.  I just look at the 10 or so posts past your "this is my final word" statement, at the personal quips and shots at me, while I've only debated....and yawn, chuckle and retire from this arguement with you.  It's worthless.  While I've done it in the past, I'm not the one making myself look stupid here.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2009, 04:59:35 PM »
How many kids from Texas on their rosters?  I mean, they couldn't have made it without that Texas infusion.

That's an excellent strawman you're building.  I'm full from taking CCTAU's bait earlier and I'll leave this worm in the pond.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2009, 05:01:32 PM »
Again, one simple statement makes your arguement moot for most to me at least.  NOBODY here says that we agree with recruiting TEXAS exclusively.  Nobody has.  Nobody is.  Nobody will.   We're still getting recruits from all over the southeast, not JUST Texas.  Your argument would make more sense if we had shown we were going to abandon our base recruiting areas.  We just haven't.  Period.

And you pull a word out of your ass and try to fit it into my argument.  Bzzzzzt.  

I never said exclusive.  My point is (and remains despite your babble) that you can't serve two masters.  You can't "recruit Texas" and maintain what you're doing in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama.  

I don't care how many clients you can miraculously serve simultaneously, programs simply DO NOT have the staff to be in that many places at once.  You have to pick and choose your battles.  IMO picking Texas as a battleground (if this is, in fact, what the strategy is) is a likely fail.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2009, 05:02:37 PM »
 While I've done it in the past, I'm not the one making myself look stupid here.

Ummmm, okaaaaaaaaaaaaay. 
 :thumbsup:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2009, 05:03:07 PM »
(if this is, in fact, what the strategy is)

There's been a lot of pissing and moaning over a strategy that we don't even know has been implemented, is planned to be implemented or is even on the fucking table.

Awesome.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
I think I'm actually seeing some common ground here.  Would it be safe to say that this argument is actaully pointless UNTIL this staff declares recruiting Texas big time as a strategy?  Everyone agrees it's fine to use your connections and cherry pick...right? But until we see our guys in Texas week after week....

Okay, Wes beat me to the punch.  Fucker.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:07:00 PM by Harvey Birdman »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2009, 05:08:49 PM »

This is not germane to the argument anyone has made, but since you asked:

UF currently has 7 Texans.

LSU has 14.

I didn't go back and account for any graduating seniors after the '06 and '07 BCS Nat. Champ games.

That means that 8% of UF's scholarship roster and 16% of LSU's come from Texas.  Those are not insignificant numbers.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:10:03 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2009, 05:11:09 PM »
This is not germane to the argument anyone has made, but since you asked:

UF currently has 7 Texans.

LSU has 14.

I didn't go back and account for any graduating seniors after the '06 and '07 BCS Nat. Champ games.

That means that 8% of UF's scholarship roster and 16% of LSU's come from Texas.  Those are not insignificant numbers.

Yeah, but how many play in the NFL!?!?  hehe... just kidding.  :bar:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2009, 05:11:32 PM »
There's been a lot of pissing and moaning over a strategy that we don't even know has been implemented, is planned to be implemented or is even on the fucking table.

Awesome.

Agreed.  

This entire thing blew up from me saying -- and I still say it -- that Auburn recruiting Texas is a FAIL.  

Some folks jumped in with both feet.  

If there's one thing you can count on, I'm going to defend my opinions even if the herd charges in another direction.  

See?  Mean old Kaos never said there was no talent in Texas.  Never said that signing a kid from Texas was a bad thing.  All nasty old Kaos said was that focusing there instead of where AU makes its hay is a deathtrap.  Kaos said it because he's a student of history.  He knows that most people are predictable. He knows that you can generally figure out what somebody is going to do by studying their past moves.  Chiz busted a nut  recruiting Texas for ISU. That was a bad deal.  This is of concern to Kaos because that same pattern seems to be repeating now.  He hired assistants with little to no SEC experience and whose base of knowledge is the Texas area.  

And that's the whole thing in a nutshell.  Some folks can't help frothing, though.  It happens.  Kaos understands.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2009, 05:14:30 PM »
Agreed.  

This entire thing blew up from me saying -- and I still say it -- that Auburn recruiting Texas is a FAIL.  

Some folks jumped in with both feet.  

If there's one thing you can count on, I'm going to defend my opinions even if the herd charges in another direction.  

See?  Mean old Kaos never said there was no talent in Texas.  Never said that signing a kid from Texas was a bad thing.  All nasty old Kaos said was that focusing there instead of where AU makes its hay is a deathtrap.  Kaos said it because he's a student of history.  He knows that most people are predictable. He knows that you can generally figure out what somebody is going to do by studying their past moves.  Chiz busted a nut  recruiting Texas for ISU. That was a bad deal.  This is of concern to Kaos because that same pattern seems to be repeating now.  He hired assistants with little to no SEC experience and whose base of knowledge is the Texas area.  

And that's the whole thing in a nutshell.  Some folks can't help frothing, though.  It happens.  Kaos understands.  

Might I humbly suggest that we've maxed out our potential in the "traditional" recruiting grounds?  We've been doing the same thing for decades now and still haven't quite made that leap into the rarefied air of perennial championship contenders.

Suppose we continue to foster our relationships at home and strike out into new areas (yes, even those areas that our current staff has developed relationships) and try snagging a few of those big names that begin to catapult a program in this day and age.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2009, 05:16:11 PM »
Eeeeeasy Wes.  Baby steps... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2009, 05:16:52 PM »
Might I humbly suggest that we've maxed out our potential in the "traditional" recruiting grounds?  We've been doing the same thing for decades now and still haven't quite made that leap into the rarefied air of perennial championship contenders.

Suppose we continue to foster our relationships at home and strike out into new areas (yes, even those areas that our current staff has developed relationships) and try snagging a few of those big names that begin to catapult a program in this day and age.

it worked for lewis and clark.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2009, 05:18:27 PM »
Yeah, but how many play in the NFL!?!?  hehe... just kidding.  :bar:

Funny you should ask:

But some states fare better than others when it comes to seeing production from former high school players in the NFL. California holds its own - and the No. 1 spot - with the most NFL players with 214. Florida ranks second with 185 players, and Texas rounds out the top three with 170. Keeping pace with the most star-studded states, Miami and Houston top the list of hometowns with the most NFL players with 34 and 27, respectively.

High School to NFL Article
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2009, 05:18:43 PM »

Don't agree with the base being tapped out.  It replenishes itself year after year.  We did okay in '04 with a team full of kids that didn't hail from Texas or California.

Cherry pick from there maybe.  

Otherwise?  Fail.  Not enough staff to serve two masters.  Seriously.  

Do you think Big 12 teams just ignore Florida because they hate sunshine and oranges?  

Target a few and see what happens.  It's not like AU hasn't done that.  Ben Tate is from Maryland.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2009, 05:19:12 PM »
it worked for lewis and clark.

How DID that whole "Louisiana Purchase" dealio work out?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2009, 05:20:25 PM »
Funny you should ask:

But some states fare better than others when it comes to seeing production from former high school players in the NFL. California holds its own - and the No. 1 spot - with the most NFL players with 214. Florida ranks second with 185 players, and Texas rounds out the top three with 170. Keeping pace with the most star-studded states, Miami and Houston top the list of hometowns with the most NFL players with 34 and 27, respectively.

High School to NFL Article

:doh:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2009, 05:21:34 PM »
Don't agree with the base being tapped out.  It replenishes itself year after year.  We did okay in '04 with a team full of kids that didn't hail from Texas or California.

1 year out of how many?

Otherwise?  Fail.  Not enough staff to serve two masters.  Seriously.  

I've already dissected this argument.  We disagree.

Do you think Big 12 teams just ignore Florida because they hate sunshine and oranges?  

Texas and OU don't have to leave those two states to fill their rosters.  Auburn does.  The rest of the Big 12 isn't relevant to anyone outside of the Big 12.

Edit note:  I was wrong about OU...their roster is a wide representation of the US.  Texas has exactly 3 non-Texans on its roster.

Target a few and see what happens.  It's not like AU hasn't done that.  Ben Tate is from Maryland.  

I agree with this.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:24:55 PM by wesfau2 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2009, 05:29:03 PM »
In my opinion, here is the bottom line:

Lets take Rollison for example. He's from Texas. His offer list isn't widely impressive, but he put up some good numbers, and I think he played 2A ball (I may be thinking of Mosley on this)? He's got some weight to put on to be able to withstand playing in the SEC, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad QB either. It just means he needs a little more meat on his bones to take what he's going to get. If he can step in and shame every QB on the roster and light up SEC secondaries, then so be it. He's good. He may be the next coming of Jesus for all I know. But, one shouldn't think he's going to be a stud just because he's from TX and other QBs from Texas have been good. Just because he put up really good numbers at the HS level doesn't mean he will do it in the SEC. Look what happened to Kodi Burns. He was Mr. Everything his SR year. So far, he hasn't shown much, and that goes well beyond having a shitty OC for half the season.

There is usually a pretty good amount of talent that comes out of TX, but not everybody is. There is alot of good talent that comes out across the country for that matter. Not every single one of them turns out to be good at the college level, though. You don't really know if they're good or not until they play a little. Its easy enough to sit here and say this guy is or isn't good, but we honestly don't know. Everybody is entitled to their opinion as to how he will do. Its like I said before, it all comes down to the evaluation the coach makes. I would hope a coach wouldn't just take everything he can get out of TX blindly just because its TX. I see no problem with cherrypicking the talent out of a state though. You just better hope that "talent" translates to college "talent".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2009, 05:30:06 PM »

I've already dissected this argument.  We disagree.

More than one year.  I just used 04 as an example.  

Simple question:  Are you willing to pass on kids from Alabama, Florida and Georgia to chase kids in Texas knowing that you're going to be (more than likely) only getting those kids for whom Texas and OU are out of the question?

You're going to have to show me how a coach can make four stops at kids at Alabama high schools to see them play on Friday night and talk to their mommas while he's also in Texas (or whereever) that same Friday night seeing kids and mommas there.  

Can't be done.  

You've got to pick battles and battlegrounds.  

I'm more comfortable with Auburn fighting Urban Meyer and Nick Saban for recruits than I am Auburn trying to cross swords with Mack Brown and Bob Stoops because there you're fighting with one hand tied already.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions