Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

No More Coffee...

No More Coffee...
« on: January 09, 2009, 08:57:34 PM »
 :blink:   Didn't see this coming....

Alabama RB Glen Coffee to forego senior season, enter the NFL Draft
Posted by Ian R. Rapoport -- Birmingham News January 09, 2009 1:54 PM
Categories: Breaking News
TUSCALOOSA -- Alabama running back Glen Coffee has decided to forego his senior season and enter the NFL Draft, a source close to the player told The Birmingham News today.

Glen Coffee, who had a touchdown in the Sugar Bowl, is going pro (Photo by Mark Almond/Birmingham News)Coffee was second in the Southeastern Conference with 1,383 rushing yards on 233 carries with 10 touchdowns. The 6-foot-1, 198-pound junior from Fort Walton Beach, Fla., had formally requested an evaluation from the NFL draft advisory board prior to the Allstate Sugar Bowl.
Coffee, who was not immediately available for comment, joins All-American left tackle Andre Smith as Crimson Tide players who declared for the draft before fulfilling their eligibility.

Prior to the bowl game, Coffee had said the move was a possibility.

"It's there," he said. "I've definitely thought about it. I'm going to let the paperwork get back, then I'll think about that and really sit down and focus on that."

Before his breakout 2008 season that landed him on the list of Doak Walker Award semifinalists, Coffee was limited because of injuries and a four-game suspension for violating textbook disbursement policy.

For his career, he has gained 2,107 yards with 14 touchdowns.

His decision leaves sophomore-to-be Mark Ingram, who gained 728 yards on the ground, as the leading returning running back. Committed five-star running back Trent Richardson of Pensacola, Fla., should he stay true on his pledge, could also compete for the spot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

Re: No More Coffee...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 09:14:12 PM »
What's your opinion on him going pro, Chopper?  Good or Bad for him?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:22:59 PM »
What's your opinion on him going pro, Chopper?  Good or Bad for him?

He needed another good year behind a good offensive line.  However, he saw holes in his offensive line, an inexperienced QB and only Julio Jones as a deep threat.  It's a toss up, probably too early for him, but I'm not sure he would have done better than this year, next year had he stayed in 2009.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Birmingham

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 09:25:48 PM »
He needed another good year behind a good offensive line.  However, he saw holes in his offensive line, an inexperienced QB and only Julio Jones as a deep threat.  It's a toss up, probably too early for him, but I'm not sure he would have done better than this year, next year had he stayed in 2009.

Spot on how I feel.  It's too soon for him BUT without andre and with some question marks it's not certain that he's going to do any better next year.  I guess he feels like now is as good a time as any.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 09:44:58 PM »
I don't blame him for rolling out. When he works out for teams, he's going to amaze them with his strength for someone his size. The dude is a monster. Wish him the best.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Roll Tide Bitch!

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 10:05:35 PM »
"His stock was only going to go down because Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson will be getting the bulk of the carries next year.  He was a Shula recruit.  He had to leave while he still had a shot at getting playing time." 

:blink:  Five times.  Five different people.  1 at work.  2 on Finebum.  2 on Rivals message board.   :blink:

The fuck is wrong with those people?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 12:18:19 PM »
"His stock was only going to go down because Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson will be getting the bulk of the carries next year.  He was a Shula recruit.  He had to leave while he still had a shot at getting playing time." 

:blink:  Five times.  Five different people.  1 at work.  2 on Finebum.  2 on Rivals message board.   :blink:

The fuck is wrong with those people?

They are fucking retarded.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Roll Tide Bitch!

Birmingham

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 01:33:10 PM »

They are fucking retarded.

Is it that far of a stretch to think that this could happen?  Two more talented players (one of them a true freshman) take the bulk of the carries and secure their spot and leaving Coffee wondering when he will ever see the field again?  Terry Grant doesn't think so.  You remember Terry Grant don't you?  He was our starting running back last year before his spot was taken by Coffee and (true freshman) Mark Ingram.

Not saying that it would have happened but it already did this year for Grant.  The best player plays, no buts about it.  If you're our leading rusher and you get beat in spring practice by 3 other guys than your new spot on the depth chart is 4th and you find yourself looking to transfer to Jacksonville State less than a year later.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 03:17:42 PM »
Is it that far of a stretch to think that this could happen?  Two more talented players (one of them a true freshman) take the bulk of the carries and secure their spot and leaving Coffee wondering when he will ever see the field again?  Terry Grant doesn't think so.  You remember Terry Grant don't you?  He was our starting running back last year before his spot was taken by Coffee and (true freshman) Mark Ingram.

Not saying that it would have happened but it already did this year for Grant.  The best player plays, no buts about it.  If you're our leading rusher and you get beat in spring practice by 3 other guys than your new spot on the depth chart is 4th and you find yourself looking to transfer to Jacksonville State less than a year later.

I heard that Terry Grant got tired of Saban and tired of competition.  I don't mean this as a flame towards Nick Saban, but supposedy, Grant developed a bit of a primadonna attitude after his prolific freshman season.  Once he quit practicing hard, he quit getting PT.  Now he's transferring.  That's just what I heard. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 04:57:56 PM »
Coffee was damn impressive this year.  He should do well.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 10:04:36 AM »
Spot on how I feel.  It's too soon for him BUT without andre and with some question marks it's not certain that he's going to do any better next year.  I guess he feels like now is as good a time as any.
As much as I hated to see Marks and Powers go from the good guys, I can't blame any Juniors for going pro after this season.  They stand to make more money now than they probably would after next season with the Rookie salary cap coming into play.  With limited time anyway in the pros, they need to go while the iron is still hot to make the most money possible during those years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.