Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Smoltz to Red Sox

Smoltz to Red Sox
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:33:04 PM »
Don't know if ya'll are Braves fans, but Smoltz has agreed to a 1 year deal with the Red Sox for up to $10 mil with incentives. I think he was a great player, and that he would retire this year. He's getting a little long in the tooth, but I don't hate the guy 'cause he's gettin' paid. Thoughts?

LINK
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 11:34:12 PM by ggraf71 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Re: Smoltz to Red Sox
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 11:56:13 PM »
Not a Braves fan.  Always been an Orioles fan, so naturally I hate the Red Sox and the Yankees.  I like Smoltz, just wish he would have stayed in Atl or gone to anyone other than some team that will be in the same division as the O's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:12:35 AM »
I was listening to our local sports talk guy this morning reading from some interview with Chipper Jones.  He sounded real pissed about this whole deal and the way Smoltz was treated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 11:14:38 AM »
I'm a Braves fan, and that pisses me off.  Smoltz would be forever loved by Braves fans if he retired in Atl, now not so much.  He's always done what was best for the team, and now he's gonna end his career chasing the money.   :sad:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »
I'm a Braves fan, and that pisses me off.  Smoltz would be forever loved by Braves fans if he retired in Atl, now not so much.  He's always done what was best for the team, and now he's gonna end his career chasing the money another champioinship.   :sad:

Fixed that for you
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:07:32 PM »
I was absolutely heart broken when I caught wind of this whilst in San Diego.  I came back and read through all the local Atlanta media here to see what the scoop was.

It turns out that his contract with the Braves would have rivaled that of the one Boston offered him, except that Smoltzie would've had to have earned the right to earn 10 million + (ie bonusing for # of innings pitched, # of wins, # of games played, etc.) instead of just being effectively handed the salary like the Red Sox were able to do.

I was fired up and ready to draw analogies of how Frank Wren rivals Jay Jacobs in team management skills, but in retrospect, the Braves made the right move.  Smoltz is a risk any way you look at him as he's coming off an elbow surgery he wasn't even supposed to recover from and the BoSox may be looking at paying him a shit-ton of money for nothing if he gets injured early on.  The only "best decision" regarding this particular scenario will be determined by the first half of the season, so we'll have to sit back and see how it goes.

However, he was the face of the Braves and THE BEST leader in the clubhouse, without question.  The players are hurting without their big brother/father figure in attendance now and a Braves fan like myself can only hope that moral won't be too badly affected going into the Spring.  Can you imagine how Smoltz and the team are going to feel when he comes back to Turner Field June 26-28, or when the Braves go to Fenway June 19-21?  Tell me those won't be fun to watch, if you want me to rip your johnson off (gently, of course).

But hell, we picked up some Jap to replace him so things can't be too bad, right?  RIGHT?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 04:10:29 PM »
But hell, we picked up some Jap to replace him so things can't be too bad, right?  RIGHT?

You ah cowwect

Signed,

Kosuke Fukudome
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:14:08 PM »
You ah cowwect

Signed,

Kosuke Fukudome
fa rah rah rah rah...ra rah rah rah
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 12:32:20 PM »
I hate to see smoltz go, but it's probably time. Unfortunately, there is one relic that refuses to leave and his last name rhymes with sox.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions