Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Playstation only a trilogy??????

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Playstation only a trilogy??????
« on: January 05, 2009, 07:45:14 AM »
The Wall Street Journal is joining other business publications with a report on the PS3 sales decline Sony has seen this holiday season. The daily newspaper uses the November 2008 U.S. video game sales report from The NPD Group to elaborate on different scenarios. Here are some highlights:

The sales decline is a heavy blow to Sony, which was banking on the videogame division to provide a bright spot as its core electronics business is hit by the global economic downturn. Sony in May forecast that its games division would turn a profit this fiscal year after two years of losses since launching the PS3 in 2006. Meanwhile, poor sales of television sets and digital cameras are forcing the company to lay off thousands of staff and close factories.

If Sony doesn't close the gap with its rivals, it could risk making the PS3 an afterthought to game publishers, who focus most of their resources on the machines with the most users. At the end of September, the Wii had a wide lead with nearly 35 million units sold since its launch in 2006 compared with about 22 million Xbox 360 consoles and 17 million PS3 machines. Nintendo last month sold 2 million Wii machines in the U.S., while Microsoft sold 836,000 Xbox 360s and Sony sold 378,000 PS3s, according to NPD.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Re: Playstation only a trilogy??????
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:12:44 AM »
They do more than the others and are more expensive.  Sony needs to market the PS3 a little different.  I think the commercial you see with the movie downloads is a start.  It's nowhere near "just a game console".

JMO....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:16:38 AM »
They do more than the others and are more expensive.  Sony needs to market the PS3 a little different.  I think the commercial you see with the movie downloads is a start.  It's nowhere near "just a game console".

JMO....

Agreed.  They are about to get their asses handed to them if they do not do something.  XBox (Microsoft) is beginning to add in functionality beyond gaming.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »

JMO....
No one would have guessed that the one that won the video format war (BlueRay) would lose the console war. It was pretty much a forgone conclusion that whichever video format won out, that console would along with it.

I'm actually considering getting a PS3 primarily as a BlueRay player, and then I may buy a game or two as a secondary thing. I guess I'll wait til they go bankrupt and have to give them away.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »
No one would have guessed that the one that won the video format war (BlueRay) would lose the console war. It was pretty much a forgone conclusion that whichever video format won out, that console would along with it.

I'm actually considering getting a PS3 primarily as a BlueRay player, and then I may buy a game or two as a secondary thing. I guess I'll wait til they go bankrupt and have to give them away.

The problem is that now blue ray players have come down in price so that niche' that Sony had is shrinking quickly.  I even considered getting one just for the blue ray player but have decided against it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 09:31:49 AM »
The problem is that now blue ray players have come down in price so that niche' that Sony had is shrinking quickly.  I even considered getting one just for the blue ray player but have decided against it.

Yeah, but if you couple 80G's of storage for music, movies and other files, along with a real web browser... plus a blue ray and game console... 399.00 isn't that bad.   However, most parents looking for a game console look at 399.00 and aren't thinking all the additional perks...  They're only think Mario in a cart, or pure video games, and at 399.00...that's WAY too much.   It needs to be marketed to adults more.

I think you add a wireless keyboard, and one HDMI cable, and 399.00 is bonkers cheap for everything you're getting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 09:42:21 AM »
Yeah, but if you couple 80G's of storage for music, movies and other files, along with a real web browser... plus a blue ray and game console... 399.00 isn't that bad.   However, most parents looking for a game console look at 399.00 and aren't thinking all the additional perks...  They're only think Mario in a cart, or pure video games, and at 399.00...that's WAY too much.   It needs to be marketed to adults more.

I think you add a wireless keyboard, and one HDMI cable, and 399.00 is bonkers cheap for everything you're getting.

The problem as I see it is it has lost a lot of it's selling points.....
80 gigs of storage isn't exactly a lot of space any more so that's out.
My phone has a real web browser so that is no benny there.
I actually really like how their online and in home connectivity is set up but that gap is closing quickly IMO.  Let's see.  You got Microsoft who has basically has all the market when it comes to network capability and software that drives it.  It actually is pretty funny because both are probably going to end up paying royalties to the other.  XBOX to Sony for Blue Ray licensing and Sony to Microsoft for networking capability.
Also will be interesting to see who gets the most/best secondary companies on board. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 10:08:56 AM »
The problem as I see it is it has lost a lot of it's selling points.....
80 gigs of storage isn't exactly a lot of space any more so that's out.
My phone has a real web browser so that is no benny there.
I actually really like how their online and in home connectivity is set up but that gap is closing quickly IMO.  Let's see.  You got Microsoft who has basically has all the market when it comes to network capability and software that drives it.  It actually is pretty funny because both are probably going to end up paying royalties to the other.  XBOX to Sony for Blue Ray licensing and Sony to Microsoft for networking capability.
Also will be interesting to see who gets the most/best secondary companies on board. 

Just playing devils advocate here...  But think about the fact that while most people have cell phones and all that, a PS3 replaces a CD Player, DVD Player, Game Console, and adds a Music Storage Station, Blue-Ray to your living room set up.  Seriously, it could be marketable to adults that want simpler, nicer units on their entertainment centers. Couldn't it?  Shoot, all I have is a Yamaha Receiver, PS3 and a center speaker on my entertainment center under the flat panel, and there really isn't anything I can't do, or watch there.  Plus, you can plug in an expandable hard drive through the USB if you want to add more.  Store your movies on that and just plug it in.  It works.  It also sees other computers in your home network and will display an icon of your media player, click and you have everything from your media player on your computer on your PS3....

Seriously....It's a no brainer... 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 10:16:25 AM »
Just playing devils advocate here...  But think about the fact that while most people have cell phones and all that, a PS3 replaces a CD Player, DVD Player, Game Console, and adds a Music Storage Station, Blue-Ray to your living room set up.  Seriously, it could be marketable to adults that want simpler, nicer units on their entertainment centers. Couldn't it?  Shoot, all I have is a Yamaha Receiver, PS3 and a center speaker on my entertainment center under the flat panel, and there really isn't anything I can't do, or watch there.  Plus, you can plug in an expandable hard drive through the USB if you want to add more.  Store your movies on that and just plug it in.  It works.  It also sees other computers in your home network and will display an icon of your media player, click and you have everything from your media player on your computer on your PS3....

Seriously....It's a no brainer... 

I understand completely and do not completely disagree but the benefits you just named are ones that 360 already has or will have I believe in the near future. The only part of what you mentioned that 360 does not have as of yet is the blue ray player.  You can jack whatever into the USB, you can network it, you can wireless it with an adapter (this needs to be incorporated into the base package like playstation has done).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 10:23:44 AM »
I noticed over the holidays that Sony has already shifted their marketing a bit.

I saw an ad where a guy is inviting his friends over to play video games after buying a new ps3.  His woman catches him on the phone and asks about the ps3.  He replies that it is their new movie download machine.

Apparently Sony is pimping their store's offering of blu-ray movies ready to download to your system. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 10:31:26 AM »
Apparently Sony is pimping their store's offering of blu-ray movies ready to download to your system. 

And that is a sharp feature without a doubt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 10:34:25 AM »
I noticed over the holidays that Sony has already shifted their marketing a bit.

I saw an ad where a guy is inviting his friends over to play video games after buying a new ps3.  His woman catches him on the phone and asks about the ps3.  He replies that it is their new movie download machine.

Agreed.  See my first post in this thread.  How are you liking yours Wes?  I've been very happy with mine thus far.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 10:48:22 AM »
Agreed.  See my first post in this thread.  How are you liking yours Wes?  I've been very happy with mine thus far.

It's great...on my tiny little low-def television.  Can't wait to get a big boy tv.

My only gripe: I can't get my girl off Guitar Hero long enough to squeeze in a football game.  I haven't played NCAA in months.  If I ever catch one of you guys online, you'll have a gimme win over me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 10:55:13 AM »
It's great...on my tiny little low-def television.  Can't wait to get a big boy tv.

My only gripe: I can't get my girl off Guitar Hero long enough to squeeze in a football game.  I haven't played NCAA in months.  If I ever catch one of you guys online, you'll have a gimme win over me.

You vs. me, would could be a dangerous collaberation of football failure.  Not sure that should happen...ever.

I understand the game, but I'm teh awful at controlling the buttons pushing....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 11:29:15 AM »
Chop -
Hail Mary on every offensive play is not a strategy -- except at Alabama where two running plays and a Hail Mary was the Brodie offense. 

Signed,
It's not a strategy even when it beats me on the last play of the game
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 12:15:59 PM »
Chop -
Hail Mary on every offensive play is not a strategy -- except at Alabama where two running plays and a Hail Mary was the Brodie offense. 

Signed,
It's not a strategy even when it beats me on the last play of the game

Shoot, I ran and ran, and finally with a minute or two left, I went late 90's Florida on you and chucked it... It was a fantastic last minute comeback win.  haha....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 12:31:53 PM »

Buy her Guitar Hero world tour and you'll never get to play again, that game is the tits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

wesfau2

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Buy her Guitar Hero world tour and you'll never get to play again, that game is the tits.

Got WT and Hero III.  Awesome stuff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 12:50:39 PM »
Got WT and Hero III.  Awesome stuff.
I rape all at NCAA.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 12:52:01 PM »
I rape all at NCAA.

Jesus, just add that to the list of shit you rape.  Damn.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions