Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Greatest Single Episode

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Greatest Single Episode
« on: February 16, 2024, 11:17:59 AM »
Diversion from Did Not Know. 

In your opinion what are the single greatest sitcom episodes ever aired? 

I’d have to start with Turkeys Away from WKRP.  It’s absolutely perfect. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BGFtV6-ALoQ&pp=ygURdHVya2V5cyBhd2F5IHdrcnA%3D
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Greatest Single Episode
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 11:43:49 AM »
Hard to pick out an entire episode right off hand, but certain scenes stand out.  One of my top 5 ever is Barney Fife "reciting" the Preamble to the Constitution.

We

Weeeeee.....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 12:31:33 PM »
Another segment that I could watch over and over comes from "The Library" episode of Seinfeld.  Lt. Joe Bookman, the library cop played by Phillip Baker Hall, pays Jerry a visit about an overdue library book from years ago.  Bookman is the trench coat wearing, fast talking, New York detective from a 50's movie.

I can't imagine them shooting that scene in less than 10 takes. When you watch it, there's no doubt Jerry is on the verge of breaking up the entire scene.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 04:36:50 PM »
The one that stands the test of time when describing something that has run its course...the shark jump from Happy Days.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 05:11:37 PM »
The one that stands the test of time when describing something that has run its course...the shark jump from Happy Days.

In other words, the antithesis of what is being discussed.  Unless you think that was good TV?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2024, 05:47:52 PM »
In other words, the antithesis of what is being discussed.  Unless you think that was good TV?

Great can be defined in many ways.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 06:23:18 PM »
Great can be defined in many ways.

Struggling so hard to slap the low hanging political fruit out of my mouth….

When it comes to Andy Griffith, the Kerosene Cucumbers is a favorite. 

Of course Seinfeld has The Bet,  but I’m partial to George the marine biologist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 06:49:09 PM »
Struggling so hard to slap the low hanging political fruit out of my mouth….

When it comes to Andy Griffith, the Kerosene Cucumbers is a favorite. 

Of course Seinfeld has The Bet,  but I’m partial to George the marine biologist.

The marine biologist episode as a whole was not great overall.  The closing scene may be the best single scene. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 09:43:00 PM »

The marine biologist episode as a whole was not great overall.  The closing scene may be the best single scene.

Agreed.  That final reveal elevated the show - and is frankly the only thing I remember about it.

I never thought MASH was funny at all. Almost from the very beginning there was too much political posturing.  That said, the episode where Col. Blake died really stuck with me.  I thought that one was great. Not a comedy, nowhere near, but was presented as one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 08:11:00 AM »
You pose a tough question to answer, K. I can’t avoid listing more than one. In no particular order:

-South Park “Go God Go”
Particularly the scene of Garrison explaining evolution.

- Workaholics “The Ders”
The realization of one’s mortality and a futile attempt to fight aging is relatable, and hilarious.

- It’s Always Sunny “The Dennis System”
Beautifully written, as Dennis’s narcissism is on full display. The funniest part is that the system is a blueprint that could actually work in real life.

- Parks and Rec “Ron and Tammy”
Ron transforms from the libertarian that is easy to like into a sex crazed lunatic. Good comedy.

-South Park “Over Logging”
South Park makes the list twice. The animated sitcom is pure comedic genius. This episode, we get a sneak peak of the world reverting back to going without internet. Hilarity ensues.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

jmar

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 01:44:12 PM »
You pose a tough question to answer, K. I can’t avoid listing more than one. In no particular order:

-South Park “Go God Go”
Particularly the scene of Garrison explaining evolution.

- Workaholics “The Ders”
The realization of one’s mortality and a futile attempt to fight aging is relatable, and hilarious.

- It’s Always Sunny “The Dennis System”
Beautifully written, as Dennis’s narcissism is on full display. The funniest part is that the system is a blueprint that could actually work in real life.

- Parks and Rec “Ron and Tammy”
Ron transforms from the libertarian that is easy to like into a sex crazed lunatic. Good comedy.

-South Park “Over Logging”
South Park makes the list twice. The animated sitcom is pure comedic genius. This episode, we get a sneak peak of the world reverting back to going without internet. Hilarity ensues.

Thank you. I'm gonna give these a whirl this weekend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2024, 09:47:41 AM »
 Fusilli Jerry from Seinfeld (Assman, stop short move).

Friends episode where Ross wears the leather pants.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2024, 01:20:31 PM »
not sure of the episode but when the world was introduced to "the daisy duke".  that episode changed the way we viewed cut off jean shorts.

i'm not sure where to rank and they'll be more as i think about the topic.

a couple that come to mind...courtesy of HBO.

band of brothers.   episode 7 "The Breaking Point"  ...loss of limbs, loss of life, loss of leadership only to persevere with an successful assault on a german position.  shit was nuts. 

curb you enthusiasm. episode "Palestine Chicken"  top 5 easily for that show.  no. 1 in my books.   

*shit...didn't read the fine print.  sitcoms.  oh well. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2024, 01:28:13 PM »
*shit...didn't read the fine print.  sitcoms.  oh well.

Since Band of Brothers was about the Army, I thought you had read the fine print.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
chinook,Snakebite,Kaos,
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 12:03:40 PM »
I just watched an episode of Frasier that's right up there for me.  The "Nightmare Inn" show where Frasier stages a retro radio mystery is pretty classic.

"Look out, he's got a NUG" from Bulldog's vaguely attractive dyslexic girlfriend is a nice touch.   

That's one of the very few shows (Breaking Bad, Saul) that maintained quality and consistency for its entire run.  It didn't dive off the cliff in the later seasons (Sopranos) and become almost a parody of itself.  The writers were fantastic and found ways to beat the same drum over and over and over, but always with a slightly different and humorous beat.  The casting was also stellar. Roz, Daphne, Martin, Bulldog, Gil, and particularly Niles were all perfect. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions