Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

LA Law

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
LA Law
« on: January 24, 2024, 11:07:34 PM »
Used to love this show.  Would rearrange my Thursday nights to watch. 

It’s on Hulu now in all its pastel 80s glory.  I’ve left it running in the background the last few days.  This isn’t what I remembered it being. 

I love the theme song. It’s one of the best of all. But I should have known from the sultry saxophone swells that this was a soap opera.  Because it is. 

It’s fun seeing people in their early roles.  Like a fully nude (back to the camera) Teri Hatcher. And Joyce Hyser whose tits were glorious in Just One of the Guys. And Don Cheadle. It’s also fun to see stars recycled from other shows like Howard Sprague from Andy Griffith. 

Some other observations:
Stuart and Ann became a central focus of the show.  Married in real life they played spouses on the show.  Ann was an insufferable bitch. Stuart a sniveling simp.  I don’t remember it that way but it was. Hate both their characters. 

Roxanne? Also a bitch. 

The very first story arc was the death of a partner and the discovery of his secret affair with Douglas Brackman’s secretary - who was a transsexual.  I don’t remember that being a thing back then.

It’s interesting to see how social issues were treated at that time.  Very different. Like Benny. He’s called retarded or a retard multiple times.

There’s also a lot of attention focused on the fact that Victor wears -gasp - an earring! Wow.

One thing that made me laugh.  Victor was representing a man suing an oil company. The line from the oil company rep:  “if they win that will only encourage more of this. You could see gas prices go to $2-3 a gallon.  People would riot in the street. Nobody would stand for it.”

I remember having a thing for Abby when I used to watch it.  For the life of me I don’t know why. 

Other than the some of the ridiculous storylines, and the fact that almost every woman in the show is a strident bitch, it’s still a fairly watchable show 40 years later.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: LA Law
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 01:05:20 AM »
I remember Michele Green was all the rage back then.
I look back now and wonder why?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 07:22:02 AM »
I remember Michele Green was all the rage back then.
I look back now and wonder why?

Yep.  That’s Abby.  No teats. Bad hair. Bad clothes.

What was I thinking?

Also, the “romance” between the Benny character and the other “retarded one” played by Amanda Plummer is cringe-worthy.  Shocking that both of them won Emmys for their buffoonish portrayals. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 09:07:44 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 08:46:02 PM »
Liked it and was a regular viewer for at least two seasons. Agree the women were pretty dowdy looking in hindsight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 09:49:11 AM »
Liked it and was a regular viewer for at least two seasons. Agree the women were pretty dowdy looking in hindsight.

If your cornerstone smokeshow is an aging Susan Dey, you're struggling.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 02:24:57 PM »
If your cornerstone smokeshow is an aging Susan Dey, you're struggling.

Yeah.  She’s bad. 

The show was originally intended to be a showpiece for Dey and Hamlin.  They eventually became just role players, their stories pushed aside for crap like Jill Eikenberg being the biggest bitch on the face of the earth, Michael Tucker being a sniveling, groveling simp, and Douglas having sex with his father’s mistress. That and Dave Meyer and Benny the ***ard. 

I did find it kind of interesting that the firm declined to take a pro-abortion case because they were afraid of losing clients who would disagree with their position.  And further they all did disagree with the pro-abortion stance.  How far we’ve fallen since that day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2024, 06:30:04 PM »
I gave up on it in season six. 

Every new character was worse than the one that left. The storylines got so outlandish they were just ridiculous.  Idiotic stuff.

They brought in a girl who was a devout Christian just to make the point that the rest of the characters were proudly “Godless” and then use her to lampoon religious beliefs.

I did read somewhere that it was just summarily canceled, which didn’t allow them to give the show a proper end.  That’s a shame. It deserved that much at least. It was a big hitter for NBC for a lot of years.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions