Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Grilling Etiquette and Such

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Grilling Etiquette and Such
« on: December 27, 2023, 12:06:08 PM »
Very few weeks go by where I don't grill something at least twice.  A few things, like steak and wings, I'm pretty good at.  Others, like fish, I am teh suxxors with.  Been grilling almost exclusively over coals for probably 20 years now, with the Big Green Egg and a Weber Bowl. 

Since coals take time to get ready, and you're not cooking over gas flames immediately with the click of a button, grilling is my time.  If it's cold out, I can start a fire in the Solo, or I can watch TV on the porch while the coals burn.  If we have people over, it's a social time to blow the froth off a couple.

I know there are plenty of others on here who understand the sanctity of the gilling session.  Snake for one, has recently sent some boner-worthy photos of his meat.  And I have no qualms in admitting his meat is beautiful. The rack of ribs he did the other day was slap-yo-mama level stuff.

I want the whole story.  What did you marinate it with?  Overnight?  How long over the coals?  Direct/Indirect heat? I love getting cooking tips and info.  However, don't frick with my grilling while I'm over the fire.

For Christmas dinner at the in-laws, we decided to keep it simple.  Grill some steaks and whip up some fixins' to go with them.  I was asked to do the grilling, which I was hesitant to accept the responsibility for. First off, it would be an away game.  I don't perform nearly as well on the road as I do on my home turf. Second, it would be on a gas grill, which is like borrowing somebody else's clubs to play a round of golf. But worst of all, I knew the number of micro-managers that would be present for this event, and I don't play well with others, if they get in my grilling bidnezz.

I had a dozen filets, which had been soaking up my delicious marinade concoction for almost 48 hours.  As I prepared to lay them on the grill, the head of the micro-managing department, my Father-in-law, was right there, and on his A-game. Not long after the steaks had been on, I had to go inside and tell my wife that she is about to be without a father if he doesn't step away from the grill.

Why are you putting those on the top rack?

You don't sear your steaks first?

Give me my steak, and I'll keep it over here.

You sure those are cooking up there?

You haven't turned those yet?

If I'd have known you were going to put them on the top rack, I wouldn't have cleaned the bottom.

All the while, he's continually turning the flames up and down, and opening/closing the lid.  Let's just say, if it was at my house, he'd have lost a couple of digits.  Then you have everyone else, coming out at various times, to offer advice and tell you what level of pink they want their steak at. 

BTW, turned out to be some of the best I've ever grilled. Despite being on the road in a hostile environment, I'm just that good.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: Grilling Etiquette and Such
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 01:25:35 PM »
I know there are plenty of others on here who understand the sanctity of the gilling session.  Snake for one, has recently sent some boner-worthy photos of his meat.  And I have no qualms in admitting his meat is beautiful. The rack of ribs he did the other day was slap-yo-mama level stuff.

I want the whole story.  What did you marinate it with?  Overnight?  How long over the coals?  Direct/Indirect heat? I love getting cooking tips and info.  However, don't frick with my grilling while I'm over the fire.

I suck at fish on the grill, too.  The best recipe I have found for Salmon on the grill is to cut up lemon slices & use that as a bed for the salmon to lay on.  Usually use a basil based pesto & kosher salt for seasoning.  Squeeze a half lemon on it during the cook.  Its edible, just not something I seek out.

Now for the ribs....

I trim all the fat I possibly can off a nice rack of St. Louis style baby back ribs.  What I can't get to with a knife, I poke holes in with a toothpick or fork.  That helps the rendering process.  I season just before throwing them on the grill right after getting them as close to room temp as possible. Once they are near room temp, I lather them up with mustard and use a rub that consists of: Corky's Memphis BBQ Rub, Southern Flavor, Hardcore Carnivore Black, white pepper, brown sugar, garlic salt, & a dash of cayenne. Let it sit on the counter til it gets wet thinking about being smoked by yours truly.

Set up the egg for indirect cooking between 200-225, throw a couple of water soaked apple wood chunks in there, and put on the cold side of the grill uncovered.  Return 3 hours later, and rotate 180 degrees (start spritzing with apple juice every hour on the hour).  Usually after 6 hours, there is a good bark on the outside that you don't want exposed much longer, so throw that sumbitch in some foil.  Rotate 180 degrees again and let go for another 2-3 hours.

Take off and let rest a good 20-30 minutes.  It will fall off the bone just by looking at it the wrong way.

Now.... do tell us more about how you doctored and cooked the filets. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 01:36:56 PM »
Also - I want a good wing recipe.  Wife only wants them if they are crispy.  I can't get the outer crust just right.  Open to ideas.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 01:43:25 PM »
Also - I want a good wing recipe.  Wife only wants them if they are crispy.  I can't get the outer crust just right.  Open to ideas.

Bring your grease to 350 degrees and dunk those bad boys in there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 02:21:55 PM »
The steak marinade is Lollie O's, (Similar to Dale's) or if that's not available, I use the washyoursister sauce, Sure Shot, garlic powder and light brown sugar.

Gotten to where I use light brown sugar in a lot of things, including my wing sauce.  That consists of Sweet Baby Ray's Original, brown sugar, Frank's Hot Sauce, cinnamon powder and honey.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 08:20:36 PM »
Very few weeks go by where I don't grill something at least twice. 

Interesting. I usually only grill something once. I will reheat and eat it later though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
Buzz Killington,
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 08:26:41 PM »
Interesting. I usually only grill something once. I will reheat and eat it later though.

:kimclap:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2023, 10:23:57 PM »

2024 New Year’s Resolutions:

#1. Cut a bitch
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
CCTAU,
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2024, 12:53:37 PM »
Very few weeks go by where I don't grill something at least twice.  A few things, like steak and wings, I'm pretty good at.  Others, like fish, I am teh suxxors with.  Been grilling almost exclusively over coals for probably 20 years now, with the Big Green Egg and a Weber Bowl. 

Since coals take time to get ready, and you're not cooking over gas flames immediately with the click of a button, grilling is my time.  If it's cold out, I can start a fire in the Solo, or I can watch TV on the porch while the coals burn.  If we have people over, it's a social time to blow the froth off a couple.

For Christmas dinner at the in-laws, we decided to keep it simple.  Grill some steaks and whip up some fixins' to go with them.  I was asked to do the grilling, which I was hesitant to accept the responsibility for. First off, it would be an away game.  I don't perform nearly as well on the road as I do on my home turf. Second, it would be on a gas grill, which is like borrowing somebody else's clubs to play a round of golf. But worst of all, I knew the number of micro-managers that would be present for this event, and I don't play well with others, if they get in my grilling bidnezz.

I had a dozen filets, which had been soaking up my delicious marinade concoction for almost 48 hours.  As I prepared to lay them on the grill, the head of the micro-managing department, my Father-in-law, was right there, and on his A-game. Not long after the steaks had been on, I had to go inside and tell my wife that she is about to be without a father if he doesn't step away from the grill.

Why are you putting those on the top rack?

You don't sear your steaks first?

Give me my steak, and I'll keep it over here.

You sure those are cooking up there?

You haven't turned those yet?

If I'd have known you were going to put them on the top rack, I wouldn't have cleaned the bottom.

All the while, he's continually turning the flames up and down, and opening/closing the lid.  Let's just say, if it was at my house, he'd have lost a couple of digits.  Then you have everyone else, coming out at various times, to offer advice and tell you what level of pink they want their steak at. 

BTW, turned out to be some of the best I've ever grilled. Despite being on the road in a hostile environment, I'm just that good.

I have a Weber with some add on attachments.
Keep a few smooth bottom aluminum foil pans of various depths for fish. Just insert a torn off sheet of foil on top. Works for me. Nice and orderly. Can handle a couple of rounds of fillets.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2024, 09:13:03 AM »
Crispy wings are the stuff of a deep fryer.
And frying is just forcing the moisture out; be it drumettes, wingettes or full size pieces.   

You can smoke  them ahead away from direct heat if you prefer.
Wing shop's use a bag of seasonings for a specific finish.

Have a niece whose husband manages a Hattie B's. I've gone that route too using leg quarters.
That's a commitment all of its own plus I don't have a large kitchen.

Jerk chicken is my favorite. I use a blender to puree the wet marinade on 2 split birds for four halves total and smoke them slowly using a Weber stand up rack (purchased separately) on which the opposite side can double for spare ribs.
Feed it "cowboy hardwood" as needed  into a crecent shaped receptacle (another addition) and keep a steady 300 temp.

It's relaxing as you can knock back a few while watching a game or listening to tunes.
Brush, rotate, maintain temp.
Easy peasy.

If you grill out a bunch the add ons can be replaced every couple of seasons. It's not the greatest grill but it suits my purposes.

Generally have side(s) already prepared for a sheet pans worth of veggies, creamy scalloped potatoes, doctored up beans or even a salad.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 07:13:28 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions