Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Robby

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
Robby
« on: December 15, 2023, 02:59:35 PM »
Entering the transfer portal.  I was always a Robby fan and wish they could have found a place for him. 

I wish him luck.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

Re: Robby
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 03:21:11 PM »
Entering the transfer portal.  I was always a Robby fan and wish they could have found a place for him. 

I wish him luck.

With you there.  Played with a lot of heart.  StatTiger's video highlights for Robby on the Youtube for 2023 is a phenomenal watch.  Hope he lands somewhere and does well for himself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 04:33:14 PM »
Ashford never got any consistent playing time this year.  After the Ole Miss game, they changed up the offense to suit Thorne, and he got seemingly more comfortable each game.  Ashford was:

Passing:  14/27 51%  145 yards  2TD and 2 INT

Rushing: 46 for 217 yards and 5 TD (3 against UMass) 4.7 average

He was a 49% passer last season with 7 TD and 7 INT. 

With his quickness, I believe he could have become a very effective read option QB, but I think they would have to have run it with the frequency that Malzahn did with Marshall and Mason.  It's part of U's offense, but not the focus.  I'm assuming from my armchair QB La-Z-Boy, that Freeze had enough sample size from last year and this, to know that Ashford is what he is.  A 50% passer with a 1/1 TD to INT ratio.  He knew Thorne was just better.

The calls to move him to receiver....meh.  Just because he's athletic doesn't mean he could automatically make the transition to SEC wide receiver.  Well Kodi did it.  Yeah, he had a whopping 11 catches in 14 games.

I hope the guy finds the right fit for his skrillz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 08:33:40 PM »
He could not hit the broad side of a barn. 

Don’t know about him as a person, but he will never be a quarterback. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
CCTAU,
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 07:57:27 AM »
Ashford never got any consistent playing time this year.  After the Ole Miss game, they changed up the offense to suit Thorne, and he got seemingly more comfortable each game.  Ashford was:

Passing:  14/27 51%  145 yards  2TD and 2 INT

Rushing: 46 for 217 yards and 5 TD (3 against UMass) 4.7 average

He was a 49% passer last season with 7 TD and 7 INT. 

With his quickness, I believe he could have become a very effective read option QB, but I think they would have to have run it with the frequency that Malzahn did with Marshall and Mason.  It's part of U's offense, but not the focus.  I'm assuming from my armchair QB La-Z-Boy, that Freeze had enough sample size from last year and this, to know that Ashford is what he is.  A 50% passer with a 1/1 TD to INT ratio.  He knew Thorne was just better.

The calls to move him to receiver....meh.  Just because he's athletic doesn't mean he could automatically make the transition to SEC wide receiver.  Well Kodi did it.  Yeah, he had a whopping 11 catches in 14 games.

I hope the guy finds the right fit for his skrillz.
He only started six games as a senior at Hoover where he could hurl balls to receiver talent we couldn't land. And even then his completion rate was suspect coupled with the fact that he missed seven games to injury.

Then he committed to Oregon and played 20 games on the baseball team. Justin Hebert was finishing and Oregon probably looked like paradise to him. The so faaast Duck staff were probably thrilled to pluck any athlete from 7A Hoover at that time.

So when did he ever work out and "hone his craft" as a QB?
I don't think Hoover ran any version of the triple option. And if you are playing baseball when do you work out for football? 

So he was at best a highlight reel (talentwise) that was unrefined as a passer. Seems like a good kid it just hasn't worked out for him. Wish him the best.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 08:00:51 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 08:29:32 AM »
If he can play college baseball, maybe that is his route to success.  More lucrative if you have the talent and less chance of TBI. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 09:31:33 AM »
If he can play college baseball, maybe that is his route to success.  More lucrative if you have the talent and less chance of TBI.

Here’s something I didn’t know. 

Auburn has a baseball team…
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 09:46:22 AM »
Don't know that Ashford ever put in the proper time to develop at the college level or if those skills have eroded but will agree on the lucrative part and longevity.
A friend texted me about the Braves getting Matt Carpenter from the Padres yesterday. I told him yeah he's 38 and don't know what they are attempting to accomplish except that maybe he can teach and possibly transition as a coach or have a future as a manager someday.

Nothing to do with Ashford but we talked about Josh Bynes who for all intents and purposes was a backup for his entire career. Made good money. Baltimore valued him as a second stringer, special teams player. I remember the first game he started due to an injury.
All it takes is a look at who they drafted or acquired during his career... ie... CJ Moseley.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 09:51:06 AM »

Sure do.
Been teetering among the upper tier of the conference.

The November 8th class of signees are considered among the nation best,
ranking as high as 4th.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 10:39:44 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 10:34:58 AM »

And an engineering school! 

The fuck?  They played in a CWS a few years ago.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2023, 10:46:06 AM »
And an engineering school! 

The fuck?  They played in a CWS a few years ago.

Also had a French-Canadian on the team that was pretty incredible, and against all odds he didn’t surrender. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

jmar

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2023, 10:47:31 AM »
Also had a French-Canadian on the team that was pretty incredible, and against all odds he didn’t surrender. 
He probably gave it some thought but you know, PEER PRESSURE.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 10:50:30 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2023, 11:35:41 AM »

And had the overall first pick in the MLB draft five years ago. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2023, 12:39:59 PM »
So what you’re saying is Robby needs to look elsewhere to play baseball. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2023, 03:55:40 PM »

They've got uniforms and everything
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

jmar

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2023, 04:00:22 PM »
Ashford is 6-3 225. Had they put that length and speed at the slot position I think we score much more from the opposition having to account for him.
And even if he were to fall outside the rounds of the NFL draft he would still get a tryout invitation and/or have a
future in the CFL or the XFL/USFL combo based on his athleticism.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2023, 04:05:51 PM »
They've got uniforms and everything
Yeah and when you pull up Auburn baseball if you continue past the initial phase you see all of the good looking team gear for sale.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2023, 04:18:18 PM »
Ashford is 6-3 225. Had they put that length and speed at the slot position I think we score much more from the opposition having to account for him.
And even if he were to fall outside the rounds of the NFL draft he would still get a tryout invitation and/or have a
future in the CFL or the XFL/USFL combo based on his athleticism.

So you’re saying he should have Kodi’d?

Here’s what I believe.   He and his momma have a much higher opinion on his skills than almost anyone else who ever existed or will exist. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
GH2001,
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2023, 05:25:16 PM »
So you’re saying he should have Kodi’d?

Here’s what I believe.   He and his momma have a much higher opinion on his skills than almost anyone else who ever existed or will exist. 

I'm saying if he wanted to realize his dream wide receiver would have been that position to get him there at some level. And yes I'm guessing his Mama loves him.

But as it is we will never know.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 05:27:45 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2023, 07:06:19 PM »
He’s a damn good athlete but I don’t see him as making it as an SEC QB. If he could have developed some accuracy and l learned when to tuck it and run a little better, I think we would have been great. But, that’s not uncommon with great runners. Nick Marshall was a great college qb, imo. He had a knack for making the right decision in RPOs. Thorne has to improve with it. And his accuracy.

One of the things that really gives Thorne a leg up with this is that he is white. Genetically, he is more likely to understand the complexities of Freeze’s offense because caucasians have much larger brains. I saw this in a documentary narrated by David Duke.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com