Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Christmas Movies

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Christmas Movies
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2023, 03:33:38 PM »
If you have a Chinaman manservant is it still ok to call them your manservant. If not, what should we call him? His nickname is definitely too offensive to use in public.
Hop Sing.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2023, 03:45:10 PM »
All kidding aside, it do.
Yeah but a person servant is more like a butler ie. Alfred or Mr. French which is different from a nanny ie. Hazel or a housekeeper Alice.
Then there's the surly Hop Sing who basically serves up chow for four grown men on the Ponderosa. Not the same.

In all fairness Hop Sing probably had the toughest job though.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 04:01:32 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2023, 03:35:29 PM »
The ultimate list

MUST WATCH
• Die Hard
• Wonderful Life
• Krampus
• Vacation
• Elf
• Violent Night
• Cartoon Grinch
• Charlie Brown
• Home Alone 1&2
• Christmas Story
• Jingle All the Way
• Mickey Cartoon with chip and dale in the Christmas tree
• Andy Griffith Christmas episode
• Frasier Christmas episodes
• The Office Christmas episodes
• Klaus (vastly underrated, fantastic movie)
• Better Watch Out

USUALLY WATCH
• Rudolph and Frosty
• Deck the Halls
• Black Christmas (1974)
• Mickey once upon a Christmas
• Miracle on 34th (black and white almost always every year)
• Random Hallmark (all the same, so I try to  pick one with the girl from Spartacus I adore - Katrina Law)
• Madea Christmas
• Scrooged
• Christmas Carol
• Santa Clause (1&2)
• Mickey’s Christmas Carol
• random other rankin bass short
• Gremlins
• Lethal Weapon
• Spirited

RARELY
• Polar Express (dead eyes)
• Carey Grinch - don’t like the cast
• Kranks - miserable movie
• The Night Before
• Arthur Christmas
• Chipmunks (golden harmonica)
• Harold and Kumar
• Christmas Chronicles

NEVER (or never again)
• Love Actually
• The Holiday
• Any Vince Vaughn Christmas movie
• A Creature Was Stirring
• Wonderful Knife
• Candy Cane Lane
• Vacation 2
• Home Alone 3 and higher
• Jingle Jangle
• Jingle All the Way 2
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2023, 03:50:54 PM »
The ultimate list

MUST WATCH
• Die Hard
• Wonderful Life
• Krampus
• Vacation
• Elf
• Violent Night
• Cartoon Grinch
• Charlie Brown
• Home Alone 1&2
• Christmas Story
• Jingle All the Way
• Mickey Cartoon with chip and dale in the Christmas tree
• Andy Griffith Christmas episode
• Frasier Christmas episodes
• The Office Christmas episodes
• Klaus (vastly underrated, fantastic movie)
• Better Watch Out

USUALLY WATCH
• Rudolph and Frosty
• Deck the Halls
• Black Christmas (1974)
• Mickey once upon a Christmas
• Miracle on 34th (black and white almost always every year)
• Random Hallmark (all the same, so I try to  pick one with the girl from Spartacus I adore - Katrina Law)
• Madea Christmas
• Scrooged
• Christmas Carol
• Santa Clause (1&2)
• Mickey’s Christmas Carol
• random other rankin bass short
• Gremlins
• Lethal Weapon
• Spirited

RARELY
• Polar Express (dead eyes)
• Carey Grinch - don’t like the cast
• Kranks - miserable movie
• The Night Before
• Arthur Christmas
• Chipmunks (golden harmonica)
• Harold and Kumar
• Christmas Chronicles

NEVER (or never again)
• Love Actually
• The Holiday
• Any Vince Vaughn Christmas movie
• A Creature Was Stirring
• Wonderful Knife
• Candy Cane Lane
• Vacation 2
• Home Alone 3 and higher
• Jingle Jangle
• Jingle All the Way 2

I could get by only watching Violent Night, Die Hard, and Christmas Vacation & be happy. Some of those others are added bonuses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2023, 04:02:31 PM »
The only ones, out of my must sees, I didn't hit this season were Charlie Brown and Rudolph. I never watch Christmas Story all the way through, but as long as I get few scenes in, which I did, I'm good.

Polar Express is one they've started showing mid November, and I'll watch it just to get in the spirit.

Various Hallmarks?  Check
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2023, 04:12:09 PM »
This has nothing to do with Christmas movies, so sue me.

We decorate big time for Christmas.  Not heavy on the outside....wreaths on the windows, spot lights, huge Nutcrackers by the front door.  But inside is a different story. And we usually have it all done before Thanksgiving, because we want it up and ready to enjoy the entire season.  This year was no exception.

I was off Tuesday, the day after Christmas, and we attacked those decorations like a couple of honey badgers. With the exception of a couple of tubs to go upstairs, we were 99% back to normal by Tuesday night. 

As much as I love the season, come Christmas night, looking at those decorations is nothing more than a reminder that we've got a huge job in front of us. It's done!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2023, 05:02:37 PM »
This has nothing to do with Christmas movies, so sue me.

We decorate big time for Christmas.  Not heavy on the outside....wreaths on the windows, spot lights, huge Nutcrackers by the front door.  But inside is a different story. And we usually have it all done before Thanksgiving, because we want it up and ready to enjoy the entire season.  This year was no exception.

I was off Tuesday, the day after Christmas, and we attacked those decorations like a couple of honey badgers. With the exception of a couple of tubs to go upstairs, we were 99% back to normal by Tuesday night. 

As much as I love the season, come Christmas night, looking at those decorations is nothing more than a reminder that we've got a huge job in front of us. It's done!

My parents were minimalists.  Tree and that was about it.  Once I got my own place (and got over the early 20s bah humbug angst) I wanted the Hallmark interior and the Vacation exterior.  And I did it.  It’s grown every year into something that borders on insanity. 

Lighted garland over all the door frames inside. Lighted wreaths in every window — 15 on the ground floor alone.  Over 100 nutcrackers all over.  The moose mugs and moose punch bowl. 10’ tree.  Both my dining table and breakfast table have place settings.  There’s a full size leg lamp in one window.  I use enough batteries to power a Tesla every year. 

Outside, every bush is covered, every window outlined, animated figures in the yard, eaves (that i can reach) lined in lights, trees lit up.  I usually do something strange like one year I bought a big bunch of blue lights and with styrofoam and glue and a clear plastic tarp, I created a “frozen lake” and repurposed some of my Halloween figures with clothes I got at goodwill to make a skating scene.  I’ve got a Halloween dummy dressed like Griswold that hangs off the roof.  Not a year goes by that I don’t blow breakers and have to rework the miles of extension cords in play.   I kinda wish I’d dumped $5-6k into one of those computerized systems so I could sync it all together.   I didn’t. 

I’ve probably got 50-60 storage toes full of decorations for inside and out. 

This is the first Christmas that both my daughters are living somewhere else.  I’m, as most know, not married and don’t think I want to be.  It’s a buttload of work to put all that out alone. But it was expected.  My kids - and the neighbors - expected it. 

I don’t think I will do it any longer.  It’s so much work for nobody to see it most of the time.  Me,  my dog and occasionally my inconsistent friend girl are the only ones who see it all regularly. 

Yeah my kids arranged huge Christmas Vacation party here and we had about 40 guests, but that was one night.  And yeah, they were here Eve and Day but again, a night. Sitting here looking at all this stuff and the stack of plastic totes currently filling my garage?  It’s depressing as hell.  I will have to take all of this down and put it away myself.  I was out of sync all season.  It was the least Christmassy Christmas I can remember.  I’m questioning the point.

I think I might be done with the massive decorations.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 05:05:15 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2023, 05:27:20 PM »
My parents were minimalists.  Tree and that was about it.  Once I got my own place (and got over the early 20s bah humbug angst) I wanted the Hallmark interior and the Vacation exterior.  And I did it.  It’s grown every year into something that borders on insanity. 

Lighted garland over all the door frames inside. Lighted wreaths in every window — 15 on the ground floor alone.  Over 100 nutcrackers all over.  The moose mugs and moose punch bowl. 10’ tree.  Both my dining table and breakfast table have place settings.  There’s a full size leg lamp in one window.  I use enough batteries to power a Tesla every year. 

Outside, every bush is covered, every window outlined, animated figures in the yard, eaves (that i can reach) lined in lights, trees lit up.  I usually do something strange like one year I bought a big bunch of blue lights and with styrofoam and glue and a clear plastic tarp, I created a “frozen lake” and repurposed some of my Halloween figures with clothes I got at goodwill to make a skating scene.  I’ve got a Halloween dummy dressed like Griswold that hangs off the roof.  Not a year goes by that I don’t blow breakers and have to rework the miles of extension cords in play.   I kinda wish I’d dumped $5-6k into one of those computerized systems so I could sync it all together.   I didn’t. 

I’ve probably got 50-60 storage toes full of decorations for inside and out. 

This is the first Christmas that both my daughters are living somewhere else.  I’m, as most know, not married and don’t think I want to be.  It’s a buttload of work to put all that out alone. But it was expected.  My kids - and the neighbors - expected it. 

I don’t think I will do it any longer.  It’s so much work for nobody to see it most of the time.  Me,  my dog and occasionally my inconsistent friend girl are the only ones who see it all regularly. 

Yeah my kids arranged huge Christmas Vacation party here and we had about 40 guests, but that was one night.  And yeah, they were here Eve and Day but again, a night. Sitting here looking at all this stuff and the stack of plastic totes currently filling my garage?  It’s depressing as hell.  I will have to take all of this down and put it away myself.  I was out of sync all season.  It was the least Christmassy Christmas I can remember.  I’m questioning the point.

I think I might be done with the massive decorations.

Obviously, Snagette is the decorator.  But then, she actually does it for a living.  The woman can look at the mantle and just envision something new every year, and then create a masterpiece.  I'm the hired help, doing the heavy lifting etc.

We built our house in 2007. In 2009, my wife signs us up to be part of the Christmas Tour of Homes.  Suddenly, we have a day coming where hundreds of people will be tramping through our home.  We spent thousands on decorations, trees, and all the fixings. Every inch of the house was transformed into a Christmas show place.  A tree in the den, breakfast room, study, three bedrooms, and even two smaller trees in the master bath.  It was incredible, and totally exhausting.

Each year since, we've scaled it back little by little.  Down to two trees, nothing upstairs, and the study is just a Christmas storage, staging and wrapping area.  I still look around every night during the season, and I'm amazed at what the skirt does with our home.  But, it's about 30% of the amount we did back then. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2023, 08:06:24 PM »
“It was incredible, and totally exhausting.”

I wish I had a nickel for every time Snagette told me this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2023, 09:26:49 PM »
Snags talking about nutcrackers and K covering his bush completely.

This is high end shit y’all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE