Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thank Gawd For 12

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Thank Gawd For 12
« on: December 04, 2023, 10:24:37 AM »
I am 1,000 % jacked about the 12 team playoff.  First, I think it creates an ass load more excitement, and contrary to ridiculous contrary arguments to the contrary of the contrary, it makes so many more games that much more important.  But, more than that, it pretty much eliminates so much of the subjectivity in the way the sport decides its champion. Think about it.  You have roughly 130 teams playing D1 ball, and at the end of the day, your champion is decided by a room full of people, who say who they THINK the four best teams are.  It makes for great conversation, but it’s one F’d up way to run a sport, and opens so much up to bias.

The FSU snub was/is definitely the hot topic of conversation, especially when you consider how they jumped Bama 4 spots to put them in the playoffs over the Noles. The move, and the “reasoning” are so flawed, it’s almost laughable. But as long as the system is set up to rank teams based solely on opinion, that shit will always happen.  It’s happened more than once in our neck of the woods too. 

The FSU players, coaches and AD are pissed, and rightfully so.  This move by the committee cost that program untold millions in revenue, which the Tahd now gets, along with numerous other detriments, including what will likely be a huge hit to their recruiting.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a dog in the fight.  I like the FSU program, and have been to quite a few games there over the years, but I have about as much invested in them as I do Troy.  I just hate to see BS like this, especially when it benefits our undeserving, biggest rival.

I heard the Committee Chairman come on ESPN and give their reasoning, which came down to, “Alabama and FSU are different teams from where they started the season….and Jordan Travis being out changed everything.” A few questions:

Jordan Travis went out at the start of the North Alabama game.  Why didn’t you drop FSU then?

Jordan Travis was out for the Florida game.  Why didn’t you drop FSU then?

You said Bama was a different team now.  Why didn’t you say that after they were absolutely gifted a win against a 6-5 team that got manhandled the week before by New Mexico State?

If that was such a quality win for Bama Saturday, why did you drop Georgia 6 spots?  Apparently you realized Georgia ain’t all that.

It takes more than flashy offense to win championships.  FSU gave up 29 points in the 3rd game of the season.  In this day and age of high powered, high flying offenses, they only gave up as many as 24 twice, the entire season.  They allowed 15 on the road at Florida, and held a 10 win Louisville team to just 6 points.  And oh by the way, that 3rd string quarterback who was barely prepared to even hand the ball off, wouldn’t be taking snaps in the playoffs.

I’ve read so many comments trying to justify the Turds being in.  The bottom line is, the committee thought they were avoiding another TCU debacle by leaving out FSU, and they weren’t going to miss out on the chance to gift Alabama another pot of gold.  The rich just got much richer, and undeservedly so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Thank Gawd For 12
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2023, 10:39:41 AM »
Bruh,
There is no logic or accountability to this committee shit.  It's all just vibes and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I agree, 12 will be a wild ride.  Might have to ride over to Biloxi for that first round of games...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

jmar

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2023, 10:44:53 AM »
I am 1,000 % jacked about the 12 team playoff.  First, I think it creates an ass load more excitement, and contrary to ridiculous contrary arguments to the contrary of the contrary, it makes so many more games that much more important.  But, more than that, it pretty much eliminates so much of the subjectivity in the way the sport decides its champion. Think about it.  You have roughly 130 teams playing D1 ball, and at the end of the day, your champion is decided by a room full of people, who say who they THINK the four best teams are.  It makes for great conversation, but it’s one F’d up way to run a sport, and opens so much up to bias.

The FSU snub was/is definitely the hot topic of conversation, especially when you consider how they jumped Bama 4 spots to put them in the playoffs over the Noles. The move, and the “reasoning” are so flawed, it’s almost laughable. But as long as the system is set up to rank teams based solely on opinion, that shit will always happen.  It’s happened more than once in our neck of the woods too. 

The FSU players, coaches and AD are pissed, and rightfully so.  This move by the committee cost that program untold millions in revenue, which the Tahd now gets, along with numerous other detriments, including what will likely be a huge hit to their recruiting.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t have a dog in the fight.  I like the FSU program, and have been to quite a few games there over the years, but I have about as much invested in them as I do Troy.  I just hate to see BS like this, especially when it benefits our undeserving, biggest rival.

I heard the Committee Chairman come on ESPN and give their reasoning, which came down to, “Alabama and FSU are different teams from where they started the season….and Jordan Travis being out changed everything.” A few questions:

Jordan Travis went out at the start of the North Alabama game.  Why didn’t you drop FSU then?

Jordan Travis was out for the Florida game.  Why didn’t you drop FSU then?

You said Bama was a different team now.  Why didn’t you say that after they were absolutely gifted a win against a 6-5 team that got manhandled the week before by New Mexico State?

If that was such a quality win for Bama Saturday, why did you drop Georgia 6 spots?  Apparently you realized Georgia ain’t all that.

It takes more than flashy offense to win championships.  FSU gave up 29 points in the 3rd game of the season.  In this day and age of high powered, high flying offenses, they only gave up as many as 24 twice, the entire season.  They allowed 15 on the road at Florida, and held a 10 win Louisville team to just 6 points.  And oh by the way, that 3rd string quarterback who was barely prepared to even hand the ball off, wouldn’t be taking snaps in the playoffs.

I’ve read so many comments trying to justify the Turds being in.  The bottom line is, the committee thought they were avoiding another TCU debacle by leaving out FSU, and they weren’t going to miss out on the chance to gift Alabama another pot of gold.  The rich just got much richer, and undeservedly so.

Alabama's QB wasn't broken so they became the easy choice. Nick Saban said as much. Don't you listen?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 12:06:24 PM »
12 won't be any better. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 12:09:26 PM »
Bruh,
There is no logic or accountability to this committee shit.  It's all just vibes and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

I agree, 12 will be a wild ride.  Might have to ride over to Biloxi for that first round of games...

With you both. And it aint just my O&B goggles. FSU did what was asked. Undefeated, p5 champ. Common opponent in LSU. They beat all of their out of conf teams. Bama did not. Rodemaker is also going to be back for FSU in time for bowl season. Completely different team with him versus....AUBURN Brock Glenn. Hes not Travis but hes very good. Plus their D is stellar. It's playoff caliber.

Whole thing was a sham before Saturday's game even started. Watching Gameday from Atlanta Sat AM, Herbie (who has become a POS) and Sankey were already on there lobbying for an SEC Team regardless of what happened. This whole thing just fuckin reeks. Good riddance to the 4 team playoff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 12:10:27 PM »
12 won't be any better.

It will be in the fact that, do you think any team beyond around 12-15 has a legit shot to be the best team? I don't. Beyond 4? Absolutely. That's the difference to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 12:11:55 PM »
Alabama's QB wasn't broken so they became the easy choice. Nick Saban said as much. Don't you listen?

*preferred choice

get it right JMAR.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 01:56:48 PM »
The only difference between College Football and the WWE is the WWE doesn't lie to you about how/why it chooses the champions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 02:48:11 PM »
The only difference between College Football and the WWE is the WWE doesn't lie to you about how/why it chooses the champions.

Somehow FSU's QB situation isn't playoff worthy but Washington's D is.

FSU's (5th) QB is also better than UGA (6th) and OSU (7th) but not Bama (4th).

Got it.

Hore. Shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2023, 03:10:53 PM »
Bama's signature wins....wait...games

Got absolutely punked by Texas at The Crapstoned

Was tied 3-3 with South Florida, before pulling away late for a rousing 17-3 victory

Took everything that powerhouse Arkansas club had to offer, and came out standing tall with a 24-21 win...again, at The Crapstone

Was dead and buried at JHS by a 6-5 team that just had its lunch money stolen by a Group of 5 squad, before said 6-5 team decided to be magnanimous, and gift the game back to them, 27-24.

Tell me again how they pass the eye test as one of the best 4 teams in the country.  However, they may actually be, because this is the first year I can ever remember where there's not a team out there that remotely scares you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2023, 04:23:36 PM »
Bama's signature wins....wait...games

Got absolutely punked by Texas at The Crapstoned

Was tied 3-3 with South Florida, before pulling away late for a rousing 17-3 victory

Took everything that powerhouse Arkansas club had to offer, and came out standing tall with a 24-21 win...again, at The Crapstone

Was dead and buried at JHS by a 6-5 team that just had its lunch money stolen by a Group of 5 squad, before said 6-5 team decided to be magnanimous, and gift the game back to them, 27-24.

Tell me again how they pass the eye test as one of the best 4 teams in the country.  However, they may actually be, because this is the first year I can ever remember where there's not a team out there that remotely scares you.

BuT BuT, FlurriddA StayTE aiNT WooRTHEEE!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2023, 04:25:36 PM »
*preferred choice

get it right JMAR.
Had you read my previous posts you would know that I was teasing about the entire greasiness of the matter. Even went as far back to when the Turd's should have gotten the death penalty only to be spared.
That said, it's  all about greed and always has been. Sure they open it up to twelve to get a "legit champ"  but in reality it only serves to divy up a greater haul.
People want to toss around words like deserving and fairness but those words lose their meaning when greed is the main component.

https://www.thewareaglereader.com/2017/01/pat-dye-claimed-the-national-title-for-auburn-in-1983-said-his-team-would-would-wear-new-york-times-national-championship-rings/

« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 04:53:48 PM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2023, 08:25:08 AM »
Going to 12 teams allows a few "undeserving" teams like FSU to sneak in. What it really does though, is allows the "best teams" to show it on the field and actually play the game. If any pretenders are in the 12, they should be bounced in the first round.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2023, 08:47:32 AM »
Going to 12 teams allows a few "undeserving" teams like FSU to sneak in. What it really does though, is allows the "best teams" to show it on the field and actually play the game. If any pretenders are in the 12, they should be bounced in the first round.

Would have been a fun field of 12 this year, but the sweet irony is that the FSU AD was part of a holdout group insisting that the 12 game format start in 2024.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
Buzz Killington,GH2001,
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2023, 09:55:36 AM »
Another ridiculous notion by this committee, and trust me, I'm not arguing for this to happen, is how do you now say Georgia is not one of the 4 best teams?

They keep saying they have to get the "four best teams".  Right?  So, Georgia is #1 or #2 in the polls the entire season.  The Playoff Committee starts ranking the teams midway through the season, and Georgia is #1 in your ranking every week.  Now, after losing to another team you say is one of the 4 best, by a grand total of 3 points, suddenly Georgia is not one the those 4, they're now the 6th best team in the country.

Again, Fuck Georgia, but there is zero logic in any of this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2023, 09:58:36 AM »
Another ridiculous notion by this committee, and trust me, I'm not arguing for this to happen, is how do you now say Georgia is not one of the 4 best teams?

They keep saying they have to get the "four best teams".  Right?  So, Georgia is #1 or #2 in the polls the entire season.  The Playoff Committee starts ranking the teams midway through the season, and Georgia is #1 in your ranking every week.  Now, after losing to another team you say is one of the 4 best, by a grand total of 3 points, suddenly Georgia is not one the those 4, they're now the 6th best team in the country.

The SEC

It Just Pays More (to be Bama, Georgia, or probably Florida)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2023, 04:45:06 PM »

See my reply #8 above sir.

FSU is worse than Bammer, but better than UGA. And UGA not a top 4 team. Makes perfect sense.....NOT.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2023, 10:26:37 PM »
The NCAA never gets it right. Mainly because they only do anything when forced.
The right thing would have been to keep the BCS formula and create an 8 team playoff.
If you are arguing over 8 and 9, you failed already.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2023, 10:41:33 AM »
The NCAA never gets it right. Mainly because they only do anything when forced.
The right thing would have been to keep the BCS formula and create an 8 team playoff.
If you are arguing over 8 and 9, you failed already.

A system was put in place (spearheaded by the ACC ironically) where we try to fit 5 pegs in 4 holes.

It always should have been 8 - 5 Power 5 winners plus next best 3 teams - with a BCS Style formula to determine the 3 wildcards.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2023, 03:16:21 PM »
Well the Florida Attorney General is moving toward filing suit against the College Football Playoff Selection Committee.  At first, I think most will roll their eyes.  Grandstanding by an AG that will be up for re-election?  Does the AG have standing to bring it?  Would a Court even hear it, or toss it to the curb?  And why do we need lawsuits in our favorite sport?

However, I think I'd like to see what might come of it.  The AG is saying they want all communications, emails, texts etc.  In other words, transparency.  As has been said countless times in the last week and a half, it looks like, walks like, and quacks like the proverbial duck. A thousand inconsistencies in the way they arrived at the four. 

College football is a monster.  Billions and billions of $$$ flowing through it.  Ask ESPN which match up would make them more millions?

Michigan vs. Mike Norvel, FSU and a 2nd string QB, or...

Jim Harbaugh vs. Nick Saban

I'm not a conspiracy theorist.  But, if you don't think there's a distinct possibility that there was a little influence going on with that much money on the line....

Could be interesting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions