Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Last KISS

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
The Last KISS
« on: November 30, 2023, 12:25:30 PM »
It's a cruel reminder that you're getting old.  The band I've loved since even before I could drive will hang up their platform boots on Saturday night after a final performance at Madison Square Garden in NYC.  Yes, I've heard all the wisecracks, and yes, I know the original Farewell Tour began 23 years ago.  But this is different. This really is it. Saturday night will be the last time the four current members perform together, in makeup and armor.  I can feel it. I know it in my heart. I wish I was going to be there.  I'm not.

New York is honoring the band, which moves me.  The Empire State Building will be lit this weekend with KISS colors - silver, purple (Starchild), red (Demon), green (Cat) and blue (Space*ace). Metro cards have been reworked with the band's image. NYC cabs are painted with KISS imagery. There are KISS popup stores around the city selling merch. Tattoo parlors are doing free KISS tattoos and face paint.

I've seen them probably 50-60 times. I wish I was there to see this. 

Will the band continue?  I think it probably will, but in different variations. The four of them together will never take the stage again.  I suspect there will be a new version of the band, maybe created and guided by The Elders (it's an album joke, get it?) to try and carry the legacy forward.  I've heard ideas about Broadway shows, movies, and other ideas, but none of that will ever take the place of Gene breathing fire or spitting blood, Ace (then Tommy) with the guitar smoking, Paul's goofy but earnest stage banter, and Peter (then Eric) rising in the air at the drums. What those guys created and sustained for 50 years is unique.

I really wish I had the chance to go one more time.  Once more to feel the heat from the pyro. Once more to be deafened by the amps. Once more to scream-sing with the band until I'm hoarse. Once more to put on the warpaint myself.  Once more to be covered in confetti.  I figure that's why they did it as long as they did.  To feel that once more.

After Saturday, it's over. Will never be the same again.

Yeah.  I'm unhappy. I never thought it would end.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: The Last KISS
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 11:00:50 AM »
Last night.....

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 05:20:14 PM »

you wanted the best, you got the best. 

definitely enjoyed the three times that i have seen them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Kaos,
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2023, 11:27:51 AM »
In retrospect the "Last KISS" was a disappointment.  The final show didn't deviate at all from any of the End of the Road shows held throughout this long run up to MSG.  Same setlist. Same rehearsed stage patter.  Same encore.

I'd resigned myself to the reality that surviving former members Ace, Peter, Bruce and Vinny weren't going to join them on stage in some kind of moment of unity, those bridges have been burned for years.  But they should have. 

I was disappointed that the band as it exists now didn't stop for a moment of reflection - maybe between the Black Diamond and the first encore - to reflect a little on what was. Maybe some type of video  montage and at least a verbal recognition and appreciation of the contributions those guys -- and Eric Carr/Mark St. John, who have both died -- meant to the band, the fans and the longevity of the KISS brand. They couldn't or wouldn't do that.

The second or third encore, they used to introduce the "new era" in KISS and it wasn't what I expected.  At all. The band will continue performing, but only in avatar form.  WHAT?  Yes, the band has partnered with Industrial Light and Magic as well as Pophouse (which apparently did something similar for ABBA successfully) to create superhero-ish AI versions of themselves that will continue performing in virtual format.  These new avatars can do things the band may have wanted to do (fly, shoot fire from Gene's eyes, etc.) but were limited by their physical forms from doing.  They've apparently been working for years in secrecy to create this new version of the band, doing motion capture sessions even.

In the interview discussing the "new" KISS, Paul made numerous references to now being immortal.

I don't understand it.  As KISS says themselves in Shout It Out Loud ... "don't let 'em tell you that it's too much noise, they're too old to really understand..."  This is too much noise and I definitely don't understand. The whole "immortality" thing came off as vanity and really, really creepy. 

Who is asking for this?  Who wants "immortal" video characters? As much as I have loved this band, no. I don't want it. My kids, who I have raised to be KISS fans don't want it. 

And finally.... for the first time I recognized and accepted the truth. It is time for them to leave.  Paul's voice is destroyed. He sounds like a drag queen Bea Arthur gargling razor blades.  All of them have gotten old to the point that they wander around taking shuffle steps like Biden, and have to have people near them guiding their attention so they don't wander off, making sure they are looking the right direction.  I saw that in the videos of them walking around the streets in NY at the pop-up stores, at the Empire State Building, and the Swatch store.  Gene's 74. Paul is 71. Eric is 65. Tommy is 63.  It's absurd to expect them to walk around in nine-inch platform boots, like they're 30.

I just wished they'd used this last stage to respect what was instead of dragging out this avatar vanity project. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2023, 01:45:19 PM »
I thought End of Row show in St Louis was really good, but did notice the setlist didn't deviate from the several shows before.

I saw them prior in 1998 or 1999, and they had Skid Row and Ted Nugent open for them.  Much different than Paul's son's band.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 02:12:02 PM »
I thought End of Row show in St Louis was really good, but did notice the setlist didn't deviate from the several shows before.

I saw them prior in 1998 or 1999, and they had Skid Row and Ted Nugent open for them.  Much different than Paul's son's band.

Pensacola?  I was there.  Took my dad. I guess he was like 60 then?  One of my best memories.  Guy who grew up on Sinatra and Elvis didn't know what to make of Nugent in a loincloth and wasn't really prepared for the bombast of KISS.  Wasn't too upset when the girl a row or two ahead of him and over too the left got on her boyfriend/husband's shoulders and  took off her top early in the KISS set.  Braless, of course. BOOBIES!!   

Watching him absorb all that mayhem was a beautiful thing.  There's a photo on the wall in my office of him, face highlighted by the KISS stage fire and light, with his hand in the air doing Gene's devil horn symbol (or what Gene now says is "I love you" in sign language..).  I treasure that photo. 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 02:14:55 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 02:16:16 PM »
Pensacola?  I was there.  Took my dad. I guess he was like 60 then?  One of my best memories.  Guy who grew up on Sinatra and Elvis didn't know what to make of Nugent in a loincloth and wasn't really prepared for the bombast of KISS.  Wasn't too upset when the girl a row or two ahead of him and over too the left took off her top early in the KISS set.  Braless, of course. BOOBIES!!   

Watching him absorb all that mayhem was a beautiful thing.  There's a photo on the wall in my office of him reflected in the firelight with his hand in the air doing Gene's devil horn symbol (or what Gene now says is "I love you" in sign language..)

That’s a pretty cool shared memory!

My dad, in that scenario, would try to act like it’s offensive. He’d look long and hard just to make sure his eyes aren’t playing tricks, then he’d ask me not to tell mom.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 08:03:11 PM »
I’d take another set of Drivin’ and Cryin’ over that bullshit.  Gene and Paul shot their load in the 70’s.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023, 09:24:01 AM »
Pensacola?

Peoria, IL.  I was working at Illinois Central College.  And I honestly say that it was the drunkest night I've had post-college.  It took me 2 hours to eat a bagel the next morning.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions