Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

On The Hoof

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
On The Hoof
« on: November 30, 2023, 12:22:08 PM »
From Brian Smith at SI Auburn Daily

For Auburn Tigers football fans, the saying “On the hoof” is a phrase you need to know if it’s not already a part of your vocabulary. Why?

Because the look test for the prospects that Hugh Freeze and his entire coaching staff brought in for the Iron Bowl is much different than what’s been making unofficial and official visits to the Plains. Allow me to explain, starting with a prime example.

It’s one thing to be blessed by having reached 6-foot-6 and 280 pounds. It’s quite another to be a junior in high school and look like Auburn’s 2025 defensive line commitment Malik Autry did this past Saturday.

Yes, technique, effort, and play-calling impact games. At the end of the day, it’s still primarily the Jimmy’s and the Joe’s that decide the final outcome more than anything else. That’s the essence of “On the hoof.”

Here’s another key point.

I was taking photos during the Iron Bowl right in front of the AU student section and underneath the goalpost. When either team drove into the red zone, it was a great chance to measure Auburn’s size against Bama’s size. A few notes.

There’s no JC Latham on Auburn’s offensive line (few college football teams have an offensive tackle as imposing as Latham), but Auburn’s offseason efforts in the Transfer Portal combined with several former prep and junior college prospects being coached up showed promise; so did Auburn’s 244 yards rushing against the Tide.

That’s also where I am excited for Auburn’s future, and Tigers fans should be as well, with the offensive line recruits heading to Auburn. They're heading towards having defensive and offensive lines similar to Alabama and Georgia.

While AU fans probably do not know much about 2025 commitment Spencer Dowland, he’s another sturdy 6-foot-6 frame heading to the Plains. The future Auburn offensive tackle is already 290 pounds and he’s honestly lean.

315, perhaps even 325 pounds, yes, Dowland can reach those measurements if the strength and conditioning staff prefers he gains that much. Then, there’s the behemoth.

One cannot completely define 2024 Auburn offensive line recruit DeAndre Carter without actually having a face-to-face conversation. While an extremely positive and happy young man, he’s not one a person should tick off. He looked about 300-to-310 pounds to me. I was wrong.

“I’m probably about 340 pounds right now,” Carter said with a smile. Trust me, that’s a well-put-together 340 as Carter’s chest is huge, and his high school film at Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei is incredible.

I would be remiss if there was no discussion about Malik Blocton. The Pike Road (Ala.) High School defensive lineman is a unique player with his ability to play outside or inside despite being 6-foot-4 and 280 pounds.

Blocton let it be known that Auburn’s coaches expect him to be a defensive tackle, long-term. That being said, the frame of Blocton is rangy despite the obvious girth. I think he could play 5-technique – at least in short-yardage situations – for Auburn. Do not take my word for it, however.

Elite 2025 wide receiver recruit Ryan Williams told me after the Iron Bowl that his Saraland (Ala.) High School squad hosts Blocton and Pike Road in their next game. I then told Williams to stay far away from Blocton, half kidding (but not really). Williams was in agreement.

"We're going to put, three, maybe four guys on him," Williams said with a laugh. You can read more about Williams' recruitment, along with Auburn's must-get 2024 wide receiver prospect Cam Coleman as well, right here.

Auburn’s football team is already pretty good in the trenches, and it’s about to get much better. Seeing Auburn's recruits “On the hoof” proved that point.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: On The Hoof
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 01:06:43 PM »
Brian Smith Is actually a pretty good recruiting analyst....specializes on the Florida area but he gives out decent info on Zack Blackerby's podcast (Locked On).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

chinook

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 04:30:18 PM »
still don't know what on the hoof actually means. not sure if brian smith actually knows...sounds like kamala.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 04:35:04 PM »
still don't know what on the hoof actually means. not sure if brian smith actually knows...sounds like kamala.
Well, you see...there's a hoof.  You're either on it or you're off it. To be on the hoof, you have to be on. If you're not on the hoof, then you are off the hoof. There's a lot of work that goes into the hoof and it makes sense to either be on it or not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
Snakebite,
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 04:45:39 PM »

Yeah...what Buzz said, you big dummy. This isn't hard (that's what Snags said).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 07:17:03 AM »
Meat on the Hoof-

We need to start treating our scholar athetes at Auburn better than our cattle or else we wind up a football factory like Texas in the 60's or what we see happenin' today in modern day Oxford, Mississipi.

Also... a few of my Crimson Tide buddies are in Atlanta today. They told me before they made the trip over that Alabama was going to need some help to get in the playoffs. Maybe a group prayer would help but it seems sort of irreverent to me especially since they already have one in the loss column plus they would have to jump three higher ranked teams to make it.
But hey it's Al a bam a.

Stay hydrated people.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 10:30:52 AM »
Meat on the Hoof-

We need to start treating our scholar athetes at Auburn better than our cattle or else we wind up a football factory like Texas in the 60's or what we see happenin' today in modern day Oxford, Mississipi.

Also... a few of my Crimson Tide buddies are in Atlanta today. They told me before they made the trip over that Alabama was going to need some help to get in the playoffs. Maybe a group prayer would help but it seems sort of irreverent to me especially since they already have one in the loss column plus they would have to jump three higher ranked teams to make it.
But hey it's Al a bam a.

Stay hydrated people.

I will not waste prayers on football.  But if I did?  I would pray that everything that can go wrong does go wrong for them and their QB moron. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.