Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

When do you tell the boss you are interviewing elsewhere?

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
When do you tell the boss you are interviewing elsewhere?
« on: November 21, 2023, 09:58:54 AM »
I have a screening interview in a couple of weeks. I am confident I will be invited to an on-site after that. When do I tell my current boss I am in the process?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Re: When do you tell the boss you are interviewing elsewhere?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 10:22:09 AM »
I have a screening interview in a couple of weeks. I am confident I will be invited to an on-site after that. When do I tell my current boss I am in the process?

I don't know your relationship with your boss, but I personally would have an offer in hand before disclosing any information. 

The human condition is always a factor, and resentment or a change in demeanor/culture can ensue if it doesn't work out with the new firm you are entertaining.  I always give companies that I leave a 3-4 week notice, though.  That gives them a better chance to figure out coverage or replacement, and also gives them opportunities for counter-offers should they not want to lose you. 

The absolute best way to maneuver is to follow your own convictions.  At the end of the day, you are the one having to navigate it all and you understand all the dynamics at play.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
The Six,
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2023, 10:38:39 AM »
I don't know your relationship with your boss, but I personally would have an offer in hand before disclosing any information. 

The human condition is always a factor, and resentment or a change in demeanor/culture can ensue if it doesn't work out with the new firm you are entertaining.  I always give companies that I leave a 3-4 week notice, though.  That gives them a better chance to figure out coverage or replacement, and also gives them opportunities for counter-offers should they not want to lose you. 

The absolute best way to maneuver is to follow your own convictions.  At the end of the day, you are the one having to navigate it all and you understand all the dynamics at play.

^^This^^  Trust him, he's pre-med.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
The Six,
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2023, 11:29:13 AM »

Thanks. I have to play if very close to the vest at current place. One of the reasons I am looking to bounce - culture. I don't lay brick or anything actually useful, so office culture matters especially as I get older. I thought I could influence it for the better, but that's not happening. What I'm best at doing, I'm not really allowed to do here. So, it's best for me to move on and them to find someone to just do what they've always done. However, I could seriously make the minefield more precarious if word got out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2023, 12:03:16 PM »
I can answer in one word.

Never.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
WiregrassTiger,CCTAU,
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 12:40:32 PM »

Never.

That ^. No reason to.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
WiregrassTiger,
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 12:47:23 PM »

Never.
^^This. Absolutely zero about interviewing. Sure, give as much notice before leaving as your new will allow. I’m all for that.

Make up all kinds of shit for time away for interviews. Seriously. Sometimes you just have to. I love Billy Graham and the pope but they never did much hiring or firing. You will completely fuck yourself by even hinting at another job. No matter if you are certain you have it and want to flaunt it. Don’t do it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
GH2001,
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2023, 12:52:57 PM »
I don't lay brick or anything actually useful, so office culture matters especially as I get older.
I don’t know if I could be of any help to you but I have certainly laid my share of pipe in my day. Still do.

Hetero pipe. Just to be clear.

Seriously. Only hetero.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2023, 03:07:44 PM »

Don't.

The 2 week notice and other bullshit "requirements" are just that...bullshit.  Your employer won't likely show you any loyalty and it's foolish to give them any.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2023, 05:06:24 PM »
Agree with everyone here.  You never tell your boss you're looking.  And if the economy went in the shitter, would they think twice about sending you packing?  Fuck no.

You don't say shit until you have an offer in hand.  And I'm not sure I'd even tell my boss I had another offer and was thinking of leaving.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
GH2001,The Six,
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2023, 06:34:43 PM »
Agree with everyone here.  You never tell your boss you're looking.  And if the economy went in the shitter, would they think twice about sending you packing?  Fuck no.

You don't say shit until you have an offer in hand.  And I'm not sure I'd even tell my boss I had another offer and was thinking of leaving.

Your post - 100%
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

War Damn Six

• Pale Rider
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2023, 06:50:21 PM »
Screw what everyone else is telling you. 

Go take a Cleveland Steamer on his desk in the morning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Buzz Killington,
No reactions
“If you're waitin' for a woman to make up her mind, you may have a long wait.” Preacher

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2023, 06:52:30 PM »
Thanks, all.

I’m half a mind if I do get it to just turn in the notice (contract says one month) but not tell them why and refuse the exit interview.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2023, 07:30:49 PM »
Screw what everyone else is telling you. 

Go take a Cleveland Steamer on his desk in the morning.

The hell you been, grandpa?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2023, 08:58:06 PM »
Think of it this way. 

When do you tell your wife you’re thinking about cheating?  Going to dinner with another woman to see what it might turn into. 

You don’t. Why? Because even if you don’t do anything beyond the dinner, it will always be in her mind that you might have. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2023, 11:27:08 AM »
Thanks, all.

I’m half a mind if I do get it to just turn in the notice (contract says one month) but not tell them why and refuse the exit interview.

I'd do the exit interview, but you don't have to tell them why.  No need to burn a bridge.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2023, 11:50:15 AM »
I'd do the exit interview, but you don't have to tell them why.  No need to burn a bridge.

Good wisdom.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2023, 09:19:35 PM »

Early in my career I had one of those interviews. I told
The girl to write this down, “Never ever ever hire me back. I NEVER want to work for this company again. I’d rather dig ditches.” She just looked at me oddly and laughed. I said “I’m not joking. The IT manager is a horrible manager. I can’t wait to get out of here.” The company went under a couple of years later. It was the worst six months of my career. I only stayed six months because my recruiter asked me to stay that long so he gets his money. He immediately found me a great job at a much better company.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.