Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Elementary, My Dear Watson

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Elementary, My Dear Watson
« on: October 19, 2023, 04:26:29 PM »
Quite a few years ago, wait...it was last month, I finished the "Complete Collection of Sherlock Holmes".  I've always loved the Holmes stories, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's writing style. His descriptiveness, and over the top details, along with the setting of late 1800's London, always fascinated me.  I know it's not Doyle, but I even watch A Christmas Carol every year, as much for the setting as I do the story itself.

Obviously, many actors have played Holmes, and I was skeptical about Robert Downey, Jr. being cast in the part years ago.  At first, I thought they took Sherlock Holmes' flaws a little to the extreme, with Downey looking like he was always disheveled, half drunk, and on the verge of rehab. Doyle's character had his demons, but not to that level. But as the movies wore on, they had him pull it together and get down to doing what he does best.  And Downey's wit really gave Holmes another dimension.  I've seen where he may be cast in a 3rd version.  Can't wait.

But I bring that up because I was rummaging through some cabinets and drawers last night, looking for something, and came across "The Return of Sherlock Holmes". Obviously, they decided that the previous book wasn't the "complete collection".  For some reason, I had bought the book all those years ago, but never got around to reading it. I got totally engrossed in it last night, and I believe I already have tonight planned out as well. 

Love me some Sherlock.       
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Elementary, My Dear Watson
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 05:11:03 PM »
No shit...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 05:34:31 PM »
No shit...

What do you mean, no shit?  That's your reaction to my post?  Really, because Sherlock is the.....wait....Sherlock.....no shit....Ooooooohhh, I see what you did there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

chinook

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 05:43:25 PM »
What do you mean, no shit?  That's your reaction to my post?  Really, because Sherlock is the.....wait....Sherlock.....no shit....Ooooooohhh, I see what you did there.

it really wasn't a mystery.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 12:35:41 AM »
it really wasn't a mystery.

For some they are hidden gems…
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2023, 08:48:54 AM »
Quite a few years ago, wait...it was last month, I finished the "Complete Collection of Sherlock Holmes".  I've always loved the Holmes stories, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's writing style. His descriptiveness, and over the top details, along with the setting of late 1800's London, always fascinated me.  I know it's not Doyle, but I even watch A Christmas Carol every year, as much for the setting as I do the story itself.

Obviously, many actors have played Holmes, and I was skeptical about Robert Downey, Jr. being cast in the part years ago.  At first, I thought they took Sherlock Holmes' flaws a little to the extreme, with Downey looking like he was always disheveled, half drunk, and on the verge of rehab. Doyle's character had his demons, but not to that level. But as the movies wore on, they had him pull it together and get down to doing what he does best.  And Downey's wit really gave Holmes another dimension.  I've seen where he may be cast in a 3rd version.  Can't wait.

But I bring that up because I was rummaging through some cabinets and drawers last night, looking for something, and came across "The Return of Sherlock Holmes". Obviously, they decided that the previous book wasn't the "complete collection".  For some reason, I had bought the book all those years ago, but never got around to reading it. I got totally engrossed in it last night, and I believe I already have tonight planned out as well. 

Love me some Sherlock.     
I too share the same affinity for those stories and still search for anything remotely linked to Conan Doyle. Jeremy Brett is still my television favorite but as a kid it was always Basil Rathbone.

And over the years I've come to enjoy the lighter more humorous, even droll versions of Holmes as well as the more physical and graphic rendition of Downey Jr. although I refused to view these upon release.
I didn't want my hero tarnished by the tools of modernity and even worse...by a yank who couldn't possibly espouse the British nature of the greatest sleuth of our lifetime. I eventually broke down, gave it a try and enjoyed it.

There is a Holmes channel you can download where you can watch two televised seasons of 39 half hour stories which are well done starring Ronald Howard.

There are also some absolute jewels done in Russian with subtitles starring Vasily Livanov and a 2013 televised series starring Igor Patrenko.

[size=78%]Would never have given the Russian versions a chance had I not previously bowed to the Downey Jr. movies. [/size]

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions