Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Monday Musings - LSU Week

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Monday Musings - LSU Week
« on: October 09, 2023, 09:25:23 AM »
As we enter the back half of the season and prepare for a trip to the dreaded swamps of Red Stick, we gather as the leaves turn, the air carries an autumnal crispy snap, and ask ourselves, the Auburn faithful, where things stand with this team.

Fact #1: Auburn's defense is good, at times very good. They play with tenacity, they flow to the ball, they hit hard. They also get out of position, whiff on tackles, and are left on the field a lot because of (points to Fact #2 below). Against an offense like this led by the best QB in the league this year, it's going to be an incredible challenge. LSU's OL isn't great and can be had, but Daniels equalizes so much of the pressure because he can move and throw on the run. He doesn't gift wrap turnovers, so that's not a sustainable plan. Keeping everything in front of them is the defense's primary objective this week. Can't give up freebies. Also, tackling matters. Do that.

Fact #2: Auburn's offense is one dimensional. That's just how it's going to be. The WRs don't have good hands (all the drops) and the QBs are under fire quickly after the snap. The good news is the LSU defense is Swiss cheese of the Jitney  Jungle variety (full of holes and stinks). Employing the misdirection run game should provide opportunities to move the ball. Sustained, time-eating drives that end in scores (more 6s than 3s, preferably) should be the game plan. If we get down by more than a score early, that could portend a bad night on the Bayou.

Assumption #1: Auburn coming in rested could give them an edge. LSU has taken lumps all year, barely got out of CoMo alive, and needs a break. They don't get one until the end of the month, so the full toll of the season is there's to carry into this game. They also need a win, badly. Ever watch a Brian Kelly coached team when they need a win? It doesn't go well. His pucker up factor is well-established. I'm just saying, there's a chance.

Assumption #2: The national media are going to ignore this game - hard. The few who give it any credence will dismiss it quickly, remind everyone Auburn never wins in Moulin Rouge, and that Hugh Freeze once ordered hookers on the Papa John's app while picking LSU to blow out Auburn. (As of this writing, LSU is an 11.5 point favorite in the game.) Auburn will have all the bulletin board material available. Can this staff harness that and create the proper motivation?

The path to victory is not easy, but it is simple. Play keepaway on offense, grind the ball and clock. On defense, don't give up the big play, take advantage when opportunity presents, make them drive the field all game.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Monday Musings - LSU Week
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 12:24:50 PM »

Assumption #2: The national media are going to ignore this game - hard. The few who give it any credence will dismiss it quickly, remind everyone Auburn never wins in Moulin Rouge, and that Hugh Freeze once ordered hookers on the Papa John's app while picking LSU to blow out Auburn. (As of this writing, LSU is an 11.5 point favorite in the game.) Auburn will have all the bulletin board material available. Can this staff harness that and create the proper motivation?

This is being borne out.  Haven't really heard a peep about our game beyond "Well, LSU scores a lot and Auburn doesn't."  If we can dominate TOP and cash in when we have opportunities, I like our chances.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,The Six,
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 01:32:52 PM »
This is being borne out.  Haven't really heard a peep about our game beyond "Well, LSU scores a lot and Auburn doesn't."  If we can dominate TOP and cash in when we have opportunities, I like our chances.

I will have the grill going, the projector & screen in the back yard, the chiminea blazing, and a garage fridge stocked full of cold beer.  Not expecting to win, but am expecting a good fight.  Also, wouldn't be surprised if we shocked the world and our passing offense doesn't resemble a monkey trying to fuck a football.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
The Six,
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 02:09:26 PM »
Also, wouldn't be surprised if we shocked the world and our passing offense doesn't resemble a monkey trying to fuck a football.

I am hoping the coaching realizes that round peg is not going smoothly into that square hole and changes things up a bit.
But I’ve had that same hope for many seasons now…
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
The Six,
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 02:35:14 PM »
Ever try to fit a square peg into a round hole?  Well then, you may be a homosexual.  I know, because I used to be one. , until Exiter International just sucked the gay right out of me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 03:25:55 PM »
As I said in the predictions thread, I can't see us mustering enough points to make this one competitive.  Unless something's changed in the extra week, it shouldn't be. Think about it.  Does anyone seriously believe they can magically install some new schemes, or passing attack in a few day's time.  Are we going to be going, "Holy shit, where did that come from?" I think we all know the answer to that.

If they can get the running game going, similar to the FUGA game, and be smart in the throw and catch game...ie, get the ball out of Thorne's hand quickly, it could be respectable. If it's the same, old shit, then I may build a fire out in the Solo Pit, and slurp IPA's the rest of the night.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 04:00:49 PM »
As I said in the predictions thread, I can't see us mustering enough points to make this one competitive.  Unless something's changed in the extra week, it shouldn't be. Think about it.  Does anyone seriously believe they can magically install some new schemes, or passing attack in a few day's time.  Are we going to be going, "Holy shit, where did that come from?" I think we all know the answer to that.

If they can get the running game going, similar to the FUGA game, and be smart in the throw and catch game...ie, get the ball out of Thorne's hand quickly, it could be respectable. If it's the same, old shit, then I may build a fire out in the Solo Pit, and slurp IPA's the rest of the night.

I’ve been waiting for the dam to break and for offensive fireworks to ensue for the past 3 years, and almost halfway through this season. Let me be unrealistic in my optimism.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 05:01:02 PM »
I’ve been waiting for the dam to break and for offensive fireworks to ensue for the past 3 years, and almost halfway through this season. Let me be unrealistic in my optimism.

It's been almost a decade, brocephus. AU hasn't "scored at will" since that fourth down Nick Marshall fumble against A&M. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 05:09:05 PM »
It's been almost a decade, brocephus. AU hasn't "scored at will" since that fourth down Nick Marshall fumble against A&M.

That 2019 Iron Bowl performance satiated the hunger a bit. That game is probably my favorite Auburn game of all time. 2017 was pretty cool, too.

I thought this season was going to be comparable to 2009 with Chris Todd leading the way. Now I am starting to think 2015 is more like it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2023, 07:27:01 AM »
That 2019 Iron Bowl performance satiated the hunger a bit. That game is probably my favorite Auburn game of all time. 2017 was pretty cool, too.

I thought this season was going to be comparable to 2009 with Chris Todd leading the way. Now I am starting to think 2015 is more like it.
We needed Kodi Burns to move to wide receiver for Chris Todd to give us that pleasant surprise.
Really can't picture us beating them there unless Robby suddenly turns into Antwaan Randle El. Our passing game is an absolute liability.
Keep them pinned, create turnovers, grind out three or four long drives. I'm for using our fourth back Sean Jackson to soften up the corndogs.
We need something, anything that can light a fire under this offense.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2023, 04:20:25 PM »
We needed Kodi Burns to move to wide receiver for Chris Todd to give us that pleasant surprise.
Really can't picture us beating them there unless Robby suddenly turns into Antwaan Randle El. Our passing game is an absolute liability.
Keep them pinned, create turnovers, grind out three or four long drives. I'm for using our fourth back Sean Jackson to soften up the corndogs.
We need something, anything that can light a fire under this offense.
The last time we play them for a few years so it would really help my feelings if we were to luck up and beat these illiterate inbreds.
friendly
funny
dislike
Members reacted friendly:
Snakebite,
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com