Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn's Crooked Oaks

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Auburn's Crooked Oaks
« on: July 12, 2023, 02:27:30 PM »
Corch Dye used to come to Dothan every year, and put on a seminar on Japanese Maple trees at some friends of ours' nursery. from al.com

Pat Dye’s Notasulga farm is now the property of Auburn University.

Auburn’s College of Forestry, Wildlife and Environment, and the Auburn University Real Estate Foundation (AUREF), has accepted the gift of Crooked Oaks Farm. The college plans to continue its operations as an event venue, while expanding its use for student instruction and community outreach.

The 415-acre farm property includes Dye’s main house, a guest cabin, lodge, pavilion, gazebo, two barns and a nursery office.

Nancy McDonald, Dye’s longtime partner and a retired nursing educator at Auburn University at Montgomery, said “the timing was right to make this gift.” AUREF is holding the property from the Dye/McDonald Trust and McDonald on behalf of the university and the college.

Dye, who died in 2020, was Auburn’s head football coach from 1981 through 1992, and led the Tigers to four SEC championships, coaching Heisman Trophy winner Bo Jackson as well as a number of All-Americans. He finished with a record 99-39-4 during 12 seasons and was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2005.

“We both knew we would donate the farm to the College of Forestry, Wildlife and Environment and seeing the work CFWE leaders have done since accepting the proposal, I could not be more confident that the land will be valued and held to the standard Pat and I always wanted to see,” McDonald said. “I feel his spirit in this, and I know what’s happening is something he would be proud of.”

Dye began developing the property in 1998 and continued to make improvements until his death.

Its ponds, pastures and woodlands contain several species of trees, including Japanese Maples, azaleas, camellias, boxwoods, gardenias, magnolias, oaks, pines, beeches, river birches and firs. Included in the area adjacent to the nursery is a two-acre retreat of walking paths along a stream, with falls and pools winding among 200 mature Japanese Maple specimen trees of 71 Japanese Maple cultivars.

When McDonald retired and moved to Crooked Oaks in 2004, the couple worked together on the farm and continued its development into a retreat and sanctuary for wildlife and rescued dogs, cats, donkeys and horses.

When not in use for private events, the school plans to conduct educational programs and other activities at the farm.

“To me, living on this place is like living in paradise,” Dye wrote of Crooked Oaks in his 2014 book, “After the Arena.” “The good Lord created it and then I just put a few touches on it so I can enjoy it and appreciate it, because no one can paint a picture like Mother Nature.”

Auburn Oaks, a former property of Dye’s, entered the real estate market in June for $6.95 million.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Snakebite,
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Re: Auburn's Crooked Oaks
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 02:34:53 PM »
Getting a little dusty in the office this afternoon...

:brilliant:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 03:15:01 PM »
Dye, who died in 2020, was Auburn’s head football coach from 1981 through 1992, and led the Tigers to four SEC championships, coaching Heisman Trophy winner Bo Jackson as well as a number of All-Americans.

Gotdammmed right! (slams fist , wipes tear from eye)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
The Six,
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 04:24:40 PM »
Gotdammmed right! (slams fist , wipes tear from eye)

Good times.  Yeah....good times.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 08:29:45 AM »
Getting a little dusty in the office this afternoon...

:brilliant:
I'm not crying, you're crying!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.