Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Different Game in 2023

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Different Game in 2023
« on: February 15, 2023, 05:18:58 PM »
So, here come the new rules for MLB this season.  Many of these have been experimented with in the Minors already. I know the purists will disagree, but for me, I love where this is going. A few:

Pitch Clock: From the time the pitcher receives the ball from the catcher, he's got 15 seconds to start his motion.  It goes to 20 seconds with runners on base. Any violation will be counted as a ball.

Batter Clock: The batter has to be in the box and getting ready to swing by 8 seconds left on the clock.  If not, it's an automatic strike. No more Nomah Goshapara 36 glove adjustments between pitches.

Pick Offs: If a runner is on first, the pitcher gets no more than two throws over.  Hal-A-Lew-Ya.  If the runner moves up a base, the pitcher can make two more pick off attempts.

Infield Shifts: Over! Done! Kaput! The new rule is there will be two players on each side of the field.  All infielders must have their feet on the dirt (Or inside the infield lines) when the ball is pitched.

Pizza Boxes: They are increasing the size of the bases.  Some say they look like Domino's delivery boxes.

I think there are others, and the base thing is bumfuzzling.  I heard two theories today. One being it may promote more stealing with the fraction of a second you will cut down between bases. The other was to cut down on injuries, especially to the first baseman getting a foot full of cleats from the runner. I don't know.

Otherwise, I'm a YUGE fan of this.  You guys know I've harped on how the game has changed so drastically. Almost unwatchable at times when you realize it's morphed into nothing more than, throw every pitch 100 m.p.h., and come out of your shoes swinging every time. Defensive alignments sometimes looked like you had 6 guys on one side of the field. It just isn't the game I grew up with.   

I think going into the playoffs, the Braves didn't have one sacrifice bunt, the entire frickin' season. The new rules will obviously speed up the game, and I think they'll also force it to revert back to a game of strategy.  More steals.  More sacrifices.  More hits because those damn shifts aren't on, and more true defensive plays for the same reason.

I can't wait to see it.  Well, unless Bally goes bankrupt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."