Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

New Hogs

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
New Hogs
« on: January 24, 2023, 02:21:45 PM »
Piece by Bryan Matthews on Auburn Rivals.  I believe we'll be better on the O-line, simply from a numbers and experience standpoint, assuming guys like Britton and Wade etc. win the starting spots.  Has to be better than what we've been putting on the field the last few years. But I'm only cautiously optimistic, because it's not like we're pulling in four and five star talent.  We're getting guys from Tulsa and East Carolina and Western Kentucky.  Still....

Rebuilding the OL

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSports
Senior Editor
@BMattAU
AUBURN | Auburn offensive line recruiting has been a problem-area for nearly a decade under the previous two coaches.

That all changed in just under six weeks with Hugh Freeze.

The Tigers’ first-year head coach along with offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery, offensive line coach Jake Thornton and assistant offensive line coach Joe Bernardi have transformed the unit.

Miller reported to Auburn Jan. 9.
Miller reported to Auburn Jan. 9. (Auburn athletics)
A total of seven new offensive linemen enrolled in January with another high school signee expected to enroll at the end of May.

The newcomers are led by three transfers in tackle Gunner Britton, tackle/guard Dillon Wade and center Avery Jones, and one junior college signee in tackle Izavion Miller.

All four are expected to immediately compete for starting positions during spring practice, which concludes with the A-Day game April 8.

The incoming group this spring also includes three high school signees in tackle Clay Wedin and centers Connor Lew and Bradyn Joiner.

Barring any attrition, AU is projected to have 16 offensive linemen on scholarship this fall, which includes four returning players with starting experience.

Both Kameron Stutts and Jeremiah Wright return after splitting time at guard last season. Tate Johnson was AU’s starting center before suffering a season-ending injury against Missouri and Jalil Irvin returns with one career start in the 2021 Birmingham Bowl.

Here’s a look at a potential depth chart with all the new additions…

LEFT TACKLE

Sr. Gunner Britton (6-6, 305)

Jr. Dillon Wade (6-4, 290) **

So. Garner Langlo (6-6, 300)

TFr. Tyler Johnson (6-6, 300) ***

LEFT GUARD

Sr. Kameron Stutts (6-5, 339)

Sr. Jalil Irvin (6-3, 313)

So. Avery Jernigan (6-4, 310)

CENTER

Sr. Avery Jones (6-4, 288)

Jr. Tate Johnson (6-4, 285)

TFr. Connor Lew (6-3, 280)

TFr. Bradyn Joiner (6-2, 330)

RIGHT GUARD

Jr. Jeremiah Wright (6-5, 335)

RFr. E.J. Harris (6-5, 312)

RIGHT TACKLE

Jr. Izavion Miller (6-6, 320)

So. Colby Smith (6-8, 324)

TFr. Clay Wedin (6-6, 295)

** Wade is probably AU's most versatile OL and could line up at several spots.

*** Johnson is scheduled to enroll at the end of May.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: New Hogs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 02:26:19 PM »
Lotta upperclassmen on that depth chart.  Great for the short term, but can be a trap into which we fall if we're not careful.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 02:30:21 PM »
Lotta upperclassmen on that depth chart.  Great for the short term, but can be a trap into which we fall if we're not careful.

Yep.  Gotta' keep the high school pipeline running at all times.  I'm always worried we'll adopt the mentality of, "We'll just get what we need from the portal."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 09:44:30 AM »

A great OL class in Dec and another few portal additions is gonna be key. Then we will be on track.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 03:51:22 PM »
Gonna be nice to see a line that can get some push on an opposing defense for once, as I am counting my chickens before they hatch.

I think as it stands now, the offense will be:

Brown       J. Johnson/Jay Fair           Britton, Wright, Jones, Stutts/Miller, Wade - Fairweather              Moore

Ashford   Hunter

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 05:06:27 PM »
Gonna be nice to see a line that can get some push on an opposing defense for once, as I am counting my chickens before they hatch.

I think as it stands now, the offense will be:

Brown       J. Johnson/Jay Fair           Britton, Wright, Jones, Stutts/Miller, Wade - Fairweather              Moore

Ashford   Hunter

I did not know that Jeremy Johnson had any eligibility left nor that he could play offensive line.

I sure hope they still let him play QB, some. His backward pass was one of the more innovative plays in college football. It just never caught on.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
Members reacted funny:
Snakebite,
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 08:29:58 PM »
I did not know that Jeremy Johnson had any eligibility left nor that he could play offensive line.

I sure hope they still let him play QB, some. His backward pass was one of the more innovative plays in college football. It just never caught on.

That LSU team didn’t know what hit ‘em. Then our team collectively said, “ Ha! Face to foot style, how do you like it?”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.