Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Bo Nix

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Bo Nix
« on: December 06, 2022, 10:24:25 AM »
What a difference a year makes. (and a change of scenery)
I never thought he was a world beater. But I did think he had what it took to be a damn fine QB.
It doesn't really matter WHERE you play. If you play D1 and put up these kind of numbers, you are pretty good.

Bo Nix | Oregon QB | Senior | Last week: 2 (-2)

The ankle injury toward the end of the season made it difficult for Bo Nix and the Ducks to potentially win the Pac-12 and make the CFP, but the transfer quarterback was awesome in 2022 and should be a Heisman finalist.

Season stats:

71.5% | 3,388 PASS YDS | 27 PASS TD | 6 INT

84 CAR | 504 RUSH YDS | 14 RUSH TD | 6.0 AVG

2 REC | 36 REC YDS | 1 REC TD | 18.0 AVG

Some writers still have him in the top 5.
https://wolfsports.com/football/2022-heisman-trophy-watch-final-rankings/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Bo Nix
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 11:14:37 AM »
Bo could be a punk at times but....

I just really hate Bryan Harsin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
CCTAU,
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 07:02:10 PM »
Knew we had a jewel just rough around the edges. It was obvious as far back as the win over Justin Herbert led Oregon. 

Freeze just made statement about his QB's having that post down freedom to make  live decisions on their own which of course would never play well with the dictates of Malzahn.
No idea about Harsin's philosophy.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
CCTAU,
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 08:20:36 PM »
Knew we had a jewel just rough around the edges. It was obvious as far back as the win over Justin Herbert led Oregon. 

Freeze just made statement about his QB's having that post down freedom to make  live decisions on their own which of course would never play well with the dictates of Malzahn.
No idea about Harsin's philosophy.

It’s very telling when a legacy player, who loves Auburn as much as any of us, leaves when Coach Hackysack was at the helm. I do think there was development for Bo as a QB in 2021 (that LSU game was pretty fun to watch). So that’s a credit to Coach Hashbrown.

It might be an unpopular opinion, because Robby couldn’t hit the ocean from the shoreline at times this past season…. But I think he has the potential to be one of the better players to ever suit up for Auburn if he can put it all together. The heart, toughness, athleticism, and arm strength is there. Just needs to work on accuracy/touch & the mental part (slowing the game down).

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
jmar,
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

jmar

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 09:25:54 PM »
It’s very telling when a legacy player, who loves Auburn as much as any of us, leaves when Coach Hackysack was at the helm. I do think there was development for Bo as a QB in 2021 (that LSU game was pretty fun to watch). So that’s a credit to Coach Hashbrown.

It might be an unpopular opinion, because Robby couldn’t hit the ocean from the shoreline at times this past season…. But I think he has the potential to be one of the better players to ever suit up for Auburn if he can put it all together. The heart, toughness, athleticism, and arm strength is there. Just needs to work on accuracy/touch & the mental part (slowing the game down).
Yeah I think he gives most us the impression that he's a broken play type of runner but he does have more talent than we give him credit. I could see him thriving with quick slants of rpo's, screens and planned runs with maybe some triple option mixed in. Maybe his accuracy and touch improves over the off season and pre season as the guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 10:12:54 PM »
Maybe his accuracy and touch improves over the off season and pre season as the guy.

God, I hope so. Would be super cool for Auburn to be good again… and to have larger than life, heroic talent that we can witness to future generations.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Don't rush me, sonny. You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 10:14:25 PM »
Bo was really good against BAD Pac12 defenses.  Against a good Defense, he looked like he did last year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 12:28:11 AM »
Bo was really good against BAD Pac12 defenses.  Against a good Defense, he looked like he did last year.
One still has to play the game and hit the open receiver.
If you are playing D1 and put up his numbers, you can’t just call that “bad defense”!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2022, 07:29:38 AM »
One still has to play the game and hit the open receiver.
If you are playing D1 and put up his numbers, you can’t just call that “bad defense”!
Happy that Bo found the right place to thrive. Just hate that it wasn't all at Auburn.

Read an article the other day about Deiter Brock (Ralph) who rode the bench behind Pat Sullivan and how he's considered one of the better pure passers to ever suit up in both the CFL and later in the NFL.
I only mentioned Nick Marshall in an earlier post because we all knew what a prolific passer he wasn't yet good enough of a college athlete to put national attention on Auburn. 

Ashford won't have as good a receving corps to work with than even Marshall as it stands but he can still become a very good college QB with some seasoning. Know he's no triple option phenom and overall we don't have as good a defense relatively speaking but we are in a place we haven't been in some time so it'll be a bit of a bumpy ride until this team gets refitted with better talent.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 07:57:38 AM »
From my perspective we are presently at the level that we as fans always thought of both Mississippi teams. Either might come out of the gate at 5-0 until they met Alabama, Auburn or LSU and that's when the talent discrepancies and depth became most evident and reality set in.

Maybe hiring Freeze (having been there) is just what we need to climb back up to the level of expectations we have.
Nutt is Freeze's greatest detractor. And Kiffin (thanks to Sexton) has reached his high mark yet the resulting snipes online seem to indicate that he is still by nature a jealous child. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 08:33:37 AM »

That vaunted ga state and sc defense? Most pac 12 defenses are better than some of his more dysfunctional outings. There was one other big difference though.

Kaos has pointed it out on many occasions - little things. His pocket presence, the way he throws the ball, body language, attitude. All of those things improved.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 08:35:27 AM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
jmar,
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2022, 09:29:09 AM »
That vaunted ga state and sc defense? Most pac 12 defenses are better than some of his more dysfunctional outings. There was one other big difference though.

Kaos has pointed it out on many occasions - little things. His pocket presence, the way he throws the ball, body language, attitude. All of those things improved.
Bo had a season ratings worthy by ESPN to rank 7th best All-Time in the Pac12 which is pretty high cotton considering some of those we well remember including the top rated Luck and thrice listed Mariota et al.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2022, 10:11:40 AM »
I would have to assume that some better quality coaching, and a more stable, solid O-line played a huge role in Nix' turnaround.  Nix showed flashes of being a big time QB during the 2021 season.  He had a stretch of 2-3 games when I even heard one analyst say if he continued that level of play, he would get some Heisman love. One of those games was against Arkansas on the road.

But the play calling, and a horrible O-line had him running for his life way too much.  On top of that, and this is where I believe coaching came in, he was just flat out wildly inaccurate.  On all throws.  I don't know enough about QB mechanics to tell somebody how to fix it.  But apparently, someone at Oregon did. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
jmar,GH2001,CCTAU,
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2022, 03:02:56 PM »
I would have to assume that some better quality coaching, and a more stable, solid O-line played a huge role in Nix' turnaround.  Nix showed flashes of being a big time QB during the 2021 season.  He had a stretch of 2-3 games when I even heard one analyst say if he continued that level of play, he would get some Heisman love. One of those games was against Arkansas on the road.

But the play calling, and a horrible O-line had him running for his life way too much.  On top of that, and this is where I believe coaching came in, he was just flat out wildly inaccurate.  On all throws.  I don't know enough about QB mechanics to tell somebody how to fix it.  But apparently, someone at Oregon did.

Sometimes it just takes an extra half second to fix it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions