Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Mistakes Were Made...

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Mistakes Were Made...
« on: November 06, 2022, 11:04:01 AM »
Mistakes were made, but I'm not even mad. 

First, Carnell is one of the nicest Auburn guys I've ever met. If you cut him his blood would be orange and blue.  Nobody will try harder.  But he's not (yet) a head coach.  If he reins in his first quarter exuberance and early PlayStation level decisions, Auburn maybe wins that game last night. 

1. Down only 10, after the first two drives netted a total of 2 yards, there was absolutely no reason to go for it on fourth and one at our own 26. I understand the initial desire to make a statement, but wrong time, wrong place.

2. After a turnover, down 17, first and goal.... got to be more creative than loss of two on a run up the gut, shitty Ashford scramble and an awful pass attempt.  Needed more than three there. Take a shot at the endzone. No, wait, Ashford can't throw a ball. 

3. Momentum swinging in the second half, down 24-12, after an interception. A horrible series that goes nowhere, TAKE THE POINTS.  24-15 is better than a botched pass and the 24-12 score sticking.

4. After taking the last lead with about a minute left, kick away.  Make them drive the field.  Carlson has become a liability.  If he was told to punch that shitty kickoff, that was a bad decision.  If he did it because he can't get it to the end zone? Need to make a change at that position too. 

I don't understand how Ashford regressed so badly.  He was worse than any start this season.  If he completed a pass, I don't remember it. 

I don't understand how the OL could possibly have gotten worse since the demise of the potato posse. But it did.  That was the worst effort by an AU offensive line I've ever seen.  There was one instance where MSU rushed one.  Yes, one single rusher.  Ashford took a sack.  They're still not recognizing what's in front.  I kept seeing linemen step inside when they had a lineman shaded outside. Like they didn't even see him.  They step INSIDE to block air and the outside rusher just bypasses them.  A junior high lineman knows better.  It's hard to watch.

I don't understand why coaches - after beating the shit out of an offense all night long, let their assholes pucker after getting a late lead.  The MSU quarterback was a literal statue in the pocket.  He stood still so long at times I thought it was some kind of visual trick.  He was frozen while the people around him moved.  So after we claw all the fucking way back from the initial hole, and take the lead?  Let's back off and keep people in front of us.  FUCK that.  If I ever get the chance to coach a defense I will live or die on the hill that got me there.

Still, the team played with grit and determination.  They didn't give up.  Fought to the last play.  I wasn't unhappy.  Felt bad for them, felt bad for Carnell, but I wasn't devoid of emotion like I've been for years.  It's still an abysmally bad team, something that coaching isn't going to instantly change unfortunately.  Going to need a couple of recruiting cycles .  The HC hire is important (and I'm now convinced it CANNOT be Deion), but the most important hire of all will be the OL coach.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 11:45:45 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: Mistakes Were Made...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 03:25:25 PM »
The cycle of hiring and firing has to stop. It's embarrassing. Shitty hire, then fire. I'm surprised Gus was kept as long as he was. This is getting expensive and ridiculous. I believe it may be a timing issue with who's available for hire at the time. They hired Gus away from his last gig. We see how that worked out (minus 2013). I'm clueless to be honest, but I would love to have someone who loves Auburn and could stay awhile.  :popcorn:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 02:24:40 AM »
Mistakes were made, but I'm not even mad. 

First, Carnell is one of the nicest Auburn guys I've ever met. If you cut him his blood would be orange and blue.  Nobody will try harder.  But he's not (yet) a head coach.  If he reins in his first quarter exuberance and early PlayStation level decisions, Auburn maybe wins that game last night. 

1. Down only 10, after the first two drives netted a total of 2 yards, there was absolutely no reason to go for it on fourth and one at our own 26. I understand the initial desire to make a statement, but wrong time, wrong place.

2. After a turnover, down 17, first and goal.... got to be more creative than loss of two on a run up the gut, shitty Ashford scramble and an awful pass attempt.  Needed more than three there. Take a shot at the endzone. No, wait, Ashford can't throw a ball. 

3. Momentum swinging in the second half, down 24-12, after an interception. A horrible series that goes nowhere, TAKE THE POINTS.  24-15 is better than a botched pass and the 24-12 score sticking.

4. After taking the last lead with about a minute left, kick away.  Make them drive the field.  Carlson has become a liability.  If he was told to punch that shitty kickoff, that was a bad decision.  If he did it because he can't get it to the end zone? Need to make a change at that position too. 

I don't understand how Ashford regressed so badly.  He was worse than any start this season.  If he completed a pass, I don't remember it. 

I don't understand how the OL could possibly have gotten worse since the demise of the potato posse. But it did.  That was the worst effort by an AU offensive line I've ever seen.  There was one instance where MSU rushed one.  Yes, one single rusher.  Ashford took a sack.  They're still not recognizing what's in front.  I kept seeing linemen step inside when they had a lineman shaded outside. Like they didn't even see him.  They step INSIDE to block air and the outside rusher just bypasses them.  A junior high lineman knows better.  It's hard to watch.

I don't understand why coaches - after beating the shit out of an offense all night long, let their assholes pucker after getting a late lead.  The MSU quarterback was a literal statue in the pocket.  He stood still so long at times I thought it was some kind of visual trick.  He was frozen while the people around him moved.  So after we claw all the fucking way back from the initial hole, and take the lead?  Let's back off and keep people in front of us.  FUCK that.  If I ever get the chance to coach a defense I will live or die on the hill that got me there.

Still, the team played with grit and determination.  They didn't give up.  Fought to the last play.  I wasn't unhappy.  Felt bad for them, felt bad for Carnell, but I wasn't devoid of emotion like I've been for years.  It's still an abysmally bad team, something that coaching isn't going to instantly change unfortunately.  Going to need a couple of recruiting cycles .  The HC hire is important (and I'm now convinced it CANNOT be Deion), but the most important hire of all will be the OL coach.

I have never seen grown men fawn all over a coach like they have for Caddy. It really explains the current political situation in this country.
Feelings are not a good barometer for hiring a head coach in the sec. (Same goes for voting)

Love Caddy, but no way he is ready.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2022, 09:51:30 AM »
The cycle of hiring and firing has to stop. It's embarrassing. Shitty hire, then fire. I'm surprised Gus was kept as long as he was. This is getting expensive and ridiculous. I believe it may be a timing issue with who's available for hire at the time. They hired Gus away from his last gig. We see how that worked out (minus 2013). I'm clueless to be honest, but I would love to have someone who loves Auburn and could stay awhile.  :popcorn:

His name is Hugh Freeze. Lucky for you all, he'll probably be lurking on this (and every other) Auburn boards at all hours of the night.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

jmar

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2022, 09:55:05 AM »
Have never been for all of the emotional cheerleading or the crybabies on the sideline like a 10 year old that just lost a pee wee title.

And I can appreciate what Carnell brings, Rob Pate's opinion or the call for Auburn to get back to this ethical, moral standard that gets a quick mention.
The program has fallen worse than Baby Bowden level because the Boise staff was never gonna get it done in this region.

We are on the bottom looking up at every program now to just get it
back to Malzahn level without a bold gamble in play such as Kiffin or Sanders.

These are the guys that can get the talent at Auburn and make it relevant for at least the shorthaul when you're only gonna get a third of your high school recruits to actually make an impact on the roster.

So why not go the way of portal much like free agency?
It could alleviate the pain and bring us to a competitive level instead of grinding on for what could mean multiple years  of mediocrity.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 11:16:24 AM »
Of course you go the way of the portal. That is why Kiffin is being touted. He killed it in the portal. Grimes pulled in good portal talent also.
So you need a coach who understands how to recruit the portal AND high school.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 12:11:29 PM »
Of course you go the way of the portal. That is why Kiffin is being touted. He killed it in the portal. Grimes pulled in good portal talent also.
Yeah it does. He's certainly familiar with the region. Is Grime's your preference?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 12:22:05 PM »
Yeah it does. He's certainly familiar with the region. Is Grime's your preference?

I don’t have a preference. Just get a guy that can recruit and score points.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 10:36:28 AM »

And build those trenches first and foremost, which is ALSO why Grimes is in the mix. He and Matt Luke (who is available and probably comes with Freeze if hired) are two of the best OL Coaches in the business.

Searls is also decent. He took Luke's place at UGA.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 10:47:07 AM »
And build those trenches first and foremost, which is ALSO why Grimes is in the mix. He and Matt Luke (who is available and probably comes with Freeze if hired) are two of the best OL Coaches in the business.

Searls is also decent. He took Luke's place at UGA.
Pittman at Arky was the OL Coach at UGA with no HC experience and he has a record of 17-15.

justsayin

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2022, 10:59:30 AM »
Pittman at Arky was the OL Coach at UGA with no HC experience and he has a record of 17-15.

justsayin

do we want 17-15? Sure its better than Chad Morris but....

Petrino (34–17) and Nutt (75–48) were WAYYYY better than 17-15 at Ark. And they aren't exactly the mostly highly thought of guys in the business.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 11:08:55 AM »
do we want 17-15? Sure its better than Chad Morris but....

Petrino (34–17) and Nutt (75–48) were WAYYYY better than 17-15 at Ark. And they aren't exactly the mostly highly thought of guys in the business.
No I was merely mentioning it because Pittman was an outside the box choice whereas Brett Bielema had a winning record.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2022, 11:15:18 AM »
No I was merely mentioning it because Pittman was an outside the box choice whereas Brett Bielema had a winning record.

Bilemma is a better coach than Pittman....sorry not sorry. Bert was just a bad fit in Fayettenam after season 2. Hes done well everywhere else. Pittman to me is more Matt Luke as a HC. Nice guy, great position coach, his guys like him - but his ceiling is "mediocre".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2022, 11:22:12 AM »
Bilemma is a better coach than Pittman....sorry not sorry. Bert was just a bad fit in Fayettenam after season 2. Hes done well everywhere else. Pittman to me is more Matt Luke as a HC. Nice guy, great position coach, his guys like him - but his ceiling is "mediocre".
Oh no question about Bielema. Pittman is what I don't want, same for Luke and possibly even Grimes if I'm honest.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2022, 11:38:15 AM »
Oh no question about Bielema. Pittman is what I don't want, same for Luke and possibly even Grimes if I'm honest.

Not for HC....for OC (Grimes) or OL (Luke). Auburn badly needs trench building coaches. Haven't had that much other than Grimes and Garner the last 10-15 years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE