Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Nice Breakdown

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Nice Breakdown
« on: May 28, 2021, 03:44:49 PM »
copy/pasta'd from AUNerd on College & Magnolia

Auburn’s roster has seen plenty of turnover the past couple of months. Between a coaching change, the passing of the one time transfer rule, and the ever growing appeal of the portal, it’s felt like Auburn’s personnel is changing over almost daily.
So now feels like a good time to take a step back and examine Auburn’s current roster to get a picture of what needs still need to be filled via the portal and estimate how many spots the Tigers have remaining to use this cycle.
Here’s a position by position breakdown of who is on Auburn’s roster. Those marked with an asterisk are seniors who are using their 6th year of eligibility and will not count against Auburn’s 85 total roster spots (that’s at least my understanding of the rule). I also want to note to make it easier to keep track of whether a player is a freshman or sophomore, I decided to just move them up as normal like Auburn’s official roster decided to do.
Let me know in the comments if I missed anybody.
Quarterback (4)
  • Seniors: Grant Loy*
  • Juniors: Bo Nix
  • Sophomores: TJ Finley
  • Freshman: Dematrius Davis
Auburn’s QB room is set now with four scholarship quarterbacks spanning all four classifications though it’s important to note that Finley still has all five years of eligibility remaining due to 2020 not counting against the clock because of COVID-19.
Running Back (4)
  • Seniors: Devan Barrett*, Shaun Shivers
  • Juniors: N/A
  • Sophomores: Tank Bigsby
  • Freshman: Jarquez Hunter
Auburn needs to and plans to add at least one running back via the portal to improve depth at this position. The Tigers are also likely to sign at least two backs in the 2022 class to prepare for the departures of Barrett and Shivers.
Wide Receiver (10)
  • Seniors: Caylin Newton, Shedrick Jackson
  • Sophomores: Elijah Canion, Ze’Vian Capers, Kobe Hudson, Malcolm Johnson Jr., Ja’Varrius Johnson
  • Freshman: Tar’Varish Dawson, J.J. Evans, Hal Presley
This is a very talented but young position group for the Tigers which is why Auburn is reportedly on the prowl for a veteran playmaker to help lead this group. This is a big year though for that 2020 WR class that featured four blue chip signees and 3-star Elijah Canion. Regardless of whether or not Auburn adds any more wideouts via the portal, the Tigers need that class ready to contribute this season.
Tight End (5)
  • Seniors: John Samuel Shenker
  • Sophomores: Luke Deal, Brandon Frazier, Tyler Fromm
  • Freshman: Landen King
Ironically the one room that might go untouched in regards to the transfer portal because it’s deep and talented enough is the tight end room. Shenker spent this spring on the baseball diamond but is expected to return to the gridiron this fall where he will likely play a large role in Auburn’s offense alongside Luke Deal and Tyler Fromm.
Offensive Line (16)
  • Seniors: Nick Brahms, Brenden Coffey, Brandon Council, Brodarious Hamm, Alec Jackson, Tashawn Manning, Prince Michael Sammons*, Austin Troxell
  • Juniors: Jalil Irvin, Kameron Stutts, Kilian Zierer
  • Sophomores: Tate Johnson, Keiondre Jones
  • Freshman: Avery Jernigan, Garner Langlo, Colby Smith
A whole lot of upper classmen at this position for the Tigers which should lead to stronger OL play. But even with all that experience, Auburn’s staff is scouring the portal looking for OL help specifically at tackle. I expect Auburn to bring in at least one lineman from the portal before fall camp maybe two if it’s the right two. I also expect a 4-5 man 2022 OL class that heavily skews towards offensive tackle.
Defensive Line (14)
  • Seniors: Marquis Burks, Tony Fair*, Tyrone Truesdell*
  • Juniors: Dre Butler
  • Sophomores: Marcus Harris, J.J. Pegues, Colby Wooden, Jeremiah Wright, Zykeivous Walker
  • Freshman: Daniel Foster-Allen, Lee Hunter, Ian Mathews, Tobechi Okoli, Marquis Robinson
I didn’t realize until I typed this out how young Auburn is on the defensive line. Truesdell using his extra year of eligibility along with Fair transferring gives Auburn at least some veteran leadership but like wide receiver, Auburn will lean heavily on that sophomore class. Thankfully, half of that room has already seen significant action and proven ready to contribute.
Outside Linebacker (6)
  • Seniors: T.D. Moultry*
  • Juniors: Derick Hall, Eku Leota, Caleb Johnson
  • Sophomores: Romello Height
  • Freshman: Dylan Brooks
It would not surprise me at all if Auburn were to add another OLB via the portal. That edge room is pretty thin right now and even someone like Caleb Johnson might be better suited playing with his hand in the ground. Keep an eye on Virginia Tech transfer Justin Beadles out of Tyrone, GA. He’s a kid that redshirted last fall but reportedly impressed coaches with the work he put in the weight room and looks to have the skillset Derek Mason wants at this position. He’d basically be another 2021 signee given he’d have five years of eligibility.
Inside Linebacker (8)
  • Seniors: Zakoby McClain, Chandler Wooten*
  • Juniors: Owen Pappoe
  • Sophomores: Kameron Brown, Cam Riley, Wesley Steiner, Desmond Tisdol
  • Freshman: Joko Willis
Auburn is reportedly evaluating former 4-star Texas A&M linebacker Ke’Shun Brown. If the Tigers offer he’d likely commit. Given Auburn is likely to lose their top trio of McClain, Wooten, and Pappoe, it wouldn’t hurt to add another under classman to this room in preparation for 2022.
Cornerback (8)
  • Seniors: Malcolm Askew, Traivon Leonard*, Roger McCreary
  • Juniors: Dreshun Miller, Nehemiah Pritchett
  • Sophomores: Eric Reed Jr, Jaylin Simpson
  • Freshman: AD Diamond
After the departures of JUCO signees Marco Domio and Kamal Hadden, numbers at the cornerback position are getting a bit light. Which is why the Tigers seem to be recruiting every 2022 cornerback in existence right now. Per AuburnUndercover’s Keith Niebuhr, the staff could also be evaluating Missouri CB transfer Jarvis Ware though given his limited eligibility remaining, I am not sure if that move makes a ton of sense. It would not surprise me if they did try to snag another younger CB from the portal to add more depth.
Safety (8)
  • Seniors: Bydarrius Knighten, Smoke Monday
  • Juniors: Zion Puckett
  • Sophomores: Ladarius Tennison
  • Freshman: Cayden Bridges, Juwon Gaston, Ahmari Harvey, Donovan Kaufman
It is very easy to see why Derek Mason made safety such a priority after he was hired. He added two to the class at the end of the 2021 cycle in Bridges and Gaston. He’s since added two more via the portal in Knighten and Kaufman. Auburn is also heavily involved with a number of safety targets in the 2022 class.
Special Teams (2)
  • Seniors: Anders Carlson
  • Sophomores: Oscar Chapman
  • Freshman: N/A
This will likely be Carlson’s last year on the Plains which is why the Tigers are in pursuit of the top kicker in the 2022 class Alex McPherson. Auburn looks to be the team to beat heading into the summer but he’s set to take official visits to a number of SEC programs including Florida where his older brother currently plays.
Total Numbers
Auburn is currently at the total roster limit of 85 spots. However, those 2020 seniors who exercised their extra year of eligibility do not count against that 85 number. Auburn has 8 “super seniors” in Grant Loy, Devan Barrett, Prince Michael Sammons, Tony Fair, Tyrone Truesdell, TD Moultry, Chandler Wooten, and Traivon Leonard. That drops Auburn’s actual number down to 77 given the Tigers 8 more spots to use in the portal.
I don’t know if Auburn will use all 8 as those scholarships count against the 2022 class for now. There’s a lot of buzz that rule will be changed for 2022 so they might take the risk if they see enough talent in the portal they want. I do expect the Tigers to at least add a running back, wide receiver, and an offensive tackle. From there, it’s likely best available.
War Eagle!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Nice Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 04:12:08 PM »
QBs: as long as either Finley or Nix get some Bobo time (settle down, Sani) I'm confident we'll see better production here.

RBs: Not very deep, but the talent is top-notch.  I'd prefer to have a mid-class warm body to throw out there in garbage time.

WRs: I love his uncle, but Shedrick has been a practice star only.  Excited about Canion and Capers.  Lots of bodies here if the QB can get the ball out.

TEs: Shockingly a deep and talented room.

OLs: Finally getting numbers and, via the portal, some size/experience.  I think we see a vastly revamped front 5 this fall.

DLs: Thank holy moses for Fair and True.  Size and experience are in short supply, so I'm happy to see two hole pluggers.  Lots of intriguing length and speed outside.

LBs: Zero concerns with this group.  Likely to be Dansby/Thomas in terms of production.

DBs: Addition by subtraction with the loss of Tutt and Sherwood.  Errrbody wants to play for Mason.

Ks: The Family Leg returns for one last ride.

14-0

Championship, baby.

Dig it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 04:23:08 PM »
QBs: as long as either Finley or Nix get some Bobo time (settle down, Sani) I'm confident we'll see better production here.

RBs: Not very deep, but the talent is top-notch.  I'd prefer to have a mid-class warm body to throw out there in garbage time.

WRs: I love his uncle, but Shedrick has been a practice star only.  Excited about Canion and Capers.  Lots of bodies here if the QB can get the ball out.

TEs: Shockingly a deep and talented room.

OLs: Finally getting numbers and, via the portal, some size/experience.  I think we see a vastly revamped front 5 this fall.

DLs: Thank holy moses for Fair and True.  Size and experience are in short supply, so I'm happy to see two hole pluggers.  Lots of intriguing length and speed outside.

LBs: Zero concerns with this group.  Likely to be Dansby/Thomas in terms of production.

DBs: Addition by subtraction with the loss of Tutt and Sherwood.  Errrbody wants to play for Mason.

Ks: The Family Leg returns for one last ride.

14-0

Championship, baby.

Dig it.
Truth on the RB's.  We're an injury away from the season going in the Tank, literally.

I read a couple of good things about Marquis Burks really coming into his own during the Spring.  He's a pound short of 315.  Plus, getting Jeremiah Wright back off the IR would give us 4 big bodies to rotate in the middle.  Almost forgot about Lee Hunter, who is up to 325.  

I'm curious (and bi) about how the rotation goes in a 3-4.  Does he go with all-beef patties up front?   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 04:27:40 PM »
I see the glass as half full. Gus did not leave the cupboard bare. We have been in much worse shape following a coaching change.

We aren’t loaded to the gills, either. But we have some talent and not much depth.

As some others have mentioned, I believe the defense is going to be good. Possibly, elite. I’m ready to see.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 05:06:27 PM »
I see the glass as half full. Gus did not leave the cupboard bare. We have been in much worse shape following a coaching change.

We aren’t loaded to the gills, either. But we have some talent and not much depth.

As some others have mentioned, I believe the defense is going to be good. Possibly, elite. I’m ready to see.
A sensible post???

Who are you and what have you done with Vladimir?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 08:38:56 AM »
Looking across the board, you can almost see the exact moment Gus quit on this school.  

I would still love to se Harsin get an experienced WR and at ;east 1 proven Tackle.  Otherwise, buckle up and enjoy the ride.  I see good things coming.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 12:32:23 PM »

Ask and you shall receive:

https://twitter.com/thejboyshow/status/1399748884038139907

Hearing Former CMU RB Jordon Ingram will be a preferred walk-on RB at Auburn this Fall.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 12:36:57 PM »
I'd prefer he did just that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 12:49:53 PM »
Jordon Ingram

6'2"  195

6A St. Paul Saints - Mobile

1,394 yards on 236 carries (5.9 ypc) 

18 TD's

Offered by Auburn, Kentucky, Arkansas and LSU from the SEC

Didn't play this past season at Central Michigan

In his film, he didn't look blazing fast, but really good vision.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions