Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Bama's Third Heisman

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
Bama's Third Heisman
« on: January 06, 2021, 08:20:28 AM »
Alabama WR Denvonta Smith (he of 2nd and 26 fame) won the Heisman Trophy last night. I suppose being allowed to run free and open (why do people play him that way?) allows for the room to amass the kinds of stats to garner the votes. They weren't going to give it to Trevor Lawrence from Clemson because he missed games; same for Ohio State's Justin Fields. Kyle Trask couldn't play defense for Florida so his campaign was moot. And the latest game manager taking snaps for Alabama was never gonna get enough support for it. Due to a lack of better options, he's as good as anything.

In 2007, Alabama had ZERO Heisman Trophy winners and a debatable number of national titles.

Since 2008, Alabama has gained THREE Heisman Trophy winners and the debatable number of national titles has grown. Each of those Heismans represents the only non-QBs to win the thing in the last 15 years, by the by.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Bama's Third Heisman
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 09:52:47 AM »
Unfortunately for opposing defenses, Bama has so many weapons, there's no way to focus extra attention on Smith.  Double him all the time and one of the other receivers goes for 80-90 catches.  Their dadgum (That's a real word in the south) tight end is so athletic, they started putting him back to receive kick offs. And it will just continue next year...and the year after...and the year after. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 11:03:02 AM »
Alabama WR Denvonta Smith (he of 2nd and 26 fame) won the Heisman Trophy last night. I suppose being allowed to run free and open (why do people play him that way?) allows for the room to amass the kinds of stats to garner the votes.

I believe the abysmal route running that Auburn has displayed for years now has skewed your ability to see just how exceptional of a receiver he is.  Do you really believe every team he has played against this year just decided to let him run free?  That’s absurd.  I’m not going to say there weren’t times coverage was busted and gave him long TDs. Part of that is scheme and part of it is having a QB who RARELY missed the deep ball.  What was more rare than Jones missing the deep ball though was Smith not catching a ball that was catchable.  The guy had 2 drops on the year. (ESPN stat). 

Corner after corner, safety after safety took poor angles on him. They were beat most of the time off the line of scrimmage. He is far and away the best route running WR to come through Bama. He will likely be the best receiver to come through Saban’s era and that’s with 5 prior 1st round draft picks. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 11:40:35 AM »
He will likely be the best receiver to come through Saban’s era and that’s with 5 prior 1st round draft picks.
I don't think he can take the beating that Julio Jones could take or dish out. That said, if he's drafted into a scheme that allows him to find space and work in it, he's really good at finding the crease and making teams pay for poor coverage decisions.

He's also aided by a QB who is NEVER pressured because of a behemoth OL that doesn't fall apart at the first sign of resistance and is rarely called for holding. (TBF the only other call as hard to determine is targeting so I don't blame the refs for not knowing what holding is or isn't.)

Finally, I'm aware Auburn sucks. You don't have to rub it in.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 11:44:24 AM »

I believe the abysmal route running that Auburn has displayed for years now has skewed your ability to see just how exceptional of a receiver he is.  Do you really believe every team he has played against this year just decided to let him run free?  That’s absurd.  I’m not going to say there weren’t times coverage was busted and gave him long TDs. Part of that is scheme and part of it is having a QB who RARELY missed the deep ball.  What was more rare than Jones missing the deep ball though was Smith not catching a ball that was catchable.  The guy had 2 drops on the year. (ESPN stat).

Corner after corner, safety after safety took poor angles on him. They were beat most of the time off the line of scrimmage. He is far and away the best route running WR to come through Bama. He will likely be the best receiver to come through Saban’s era and that’s with 5 prior 1st round draft picks.
I heard Todd McShay (sp?) saying the same thing about Smith, that he's the best route runner they've ever had.  And I do think scheme has something to do with it as well.  There were a couple of times in the Iron Bowl where Jones threw touchdown passes and clearly acknowledged Sarkisian for the play call.  

Now, as for our abysmal route running, are you insinuating that Kodi Burns is not a top 3 WR Coach?  The man used to be a back up QB for Chrishakes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 11:48:34 AM »
Question. Is it mandatory in every Heisman speech for the recipient to tell us about all those people who doubted him and told him he couldn't do it? Who are these people?   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 12:20:03 PM »
Devontae is one of the best I’ve ever seen and a lot of that probably is because he’s on the best offense I’ve seen. 

Pound for pound, he’s incredible. He plays like he’s 6’4” at under 6. He looks like a jr high player but def doesn’t play that way.

I don’t get into following the heisman but he would’ve been my first and easy choice. And he seems like a nice kid.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Token

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 01:11:38 PM »
Question. Is it mandatory in every Heisman speech for the recipient to tell us about all those people who doubted him and told him he couldn't do it? Who are these people? 
It’s apparently the only time the haters take the hate. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 01:36:36 PM »
Looked like the best weapon on the field all year long. I think he's deserving. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 01:54:49 PM »
Looked like the best weapon on the field all year long. I think he's deserving.
Agreed.  And that pains me to say.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 02:02:18 PM »

Now, as for our abysmal route running, are you insinuating that Kodi Burns is not a top 3 WR Coach?  The man used to be a back up QB for Chrishakes.
Let's see where he end's up later this year, my guess would be unemployed or working at the high school level (with Gus?) 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 02:26:28 PM »
If Waddle doesn't get injured, does Smith win the Heisman?  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 02:46:23 PM »
Waddle probably does. Dang. Sure am sad we missed out on his Mighty Mouse Madea face poses.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 02:53:15 PM »
We interrupt this Heisman thread to bring you today's installment of The Far Side.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 02:54:10 PM »
We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2021, 02:57:18 PM »
Now this is a good question.

We got a healthy dose of Waddle in the past playoffs. Only regarded as a stellar return man up to that point. The fact that Tua was on the other end points to the scheme that fit the talent. Remember that freak Ruggs was also a target. That's a lot to put on a secondary. Somebody's going to be open unless you are just bull rushing the QB.

Imo, the only other player Alabama had that gave us and everyone else more fits than Waddle over a longer period was Javier Arenas the DB/ return man. Think that was his name. 

Answer: If Waddle stays healthy he gets more opportunities which dilutes the number of touches for Smith and Mac Jones takes the Heisman.

It is the way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2021, 03:09:34 PM »
I'm glad I didn't see any of them play.  

I do know that guy who won had legs that looked like little twigs.  
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2021, 03:12:31 PM »
I'm glad I didn't see any of them play. 

I do know that guy who won had legs that looked like little twigs. 
Similar build to Eli Stove.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 09:29:01 AM »

I believe the abysmal route running that Auburn has displayed for years now has skewed your ability to see just how exceptional of a receiver he is.  Do you really believe every team he has played against this year just decided to let him run free?  That’s absurd.  I’m not going to say there weren’t times coverage was busted and gave him long TDs. Part of that is scheme and part of it is having a QB who RARELY missed the deep ball.  What was more rare than Jones missing the deep ball though was Smith not catching a ball that was catchable.  The guy had 2 drops on the year. (ESPN stat).

You just shut up about Gus' route tree.  It just needed some more watering and tlc.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2021, 05:35:48 PM »
You just shut up about Gus' route tree.  It just needed some more watering and tlc.

Looks like an infected dick.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions